SportsWrath

Giants vs Colts gameday thread.

Sephiroth

If Cruz hadn't fumbled that big catch from Eli would people still be panicking? I think we'd be talking about Eli's sweet TD drive instead.

It's looked to me more like McAdoo & Co are predominantly working on the run game with the 1st team (especially the 1st team OLine, which is 3/5 new guys). Didn't Eli go 7of 8 in the HOF game?

yeah and it was a beautiful pass too. dropped it right in there

I honestly don't ever remember being very impressed with Eli in the preseason. I specifically vividly remember him and the offense looking absolutely pathetic and inept in the 2011 preseason....and he went on to play the most poised, dominant, and in control season of his life.

I pulled up the stats on nfl.com just to confirm. In the 2011 preseason Eli completed only 49% of his passes and had a QB rating of 51....and that was with him attempting 55 passes, a far larger sample size than we're getting in this preseason where, as Tree pointed out, they seem to be focused mainly on running the ball.

Now I'm not saying not to be worried about Eli. I actually think we should be VERY worried about Eli, as it's been about a season and a half since he has been a competent quarterback. I'm just saying I wouldn't make too much out of his sucking in preseason, because he has sucked in preseason before (playing in a system that had been in place for years!) and played amazing during the season.

-Z

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about injuries and all that, but whether the difference was health or effort, it was impossible to miss the difference in Nicks on Saturday vs. his performance in 2013.

It would have been highly irrational for him to dog it last season merely out of spite... but nobody is perfectly rational.

maybe but you're betting on quite a long shot there, especially considering he has an agent talking to him about his next contract all season

Well, I wouldn't say I'm betting on it. Nicks would have to be a total shit head to deliberately slack off like that. But subconsciously, maybe his focus wasn't all there? That could be, it happens to all but the best of us.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about injuries and all that, but whether the difference was health or effort, it was impossible to miss the difference in Nicks on Saturday vs. his performance in 2013.

It would have been highly irrational for him to dog it last season merely out of spite... but nobody is perfectly rational.

You mean the part where the QB threw the ball at him?

If Cruz hadn't fumbled that big catch from Eli would people still be panicking? I think we'd be talking about Eli's sweet TD drive instead.

It's looked to me more like McAdoo & Co are predominantly working on the run game with the 1st team (especially the 1st team OLine, which is 3/5 new guys). Didn't Eli go 7of 8 in the HOF game?

I was thinking that too, but even the run game was lame at best. I'm hoping it's just one of those games the Giants play sometimes and they'll get it fixed before the regular season.