SportsWrath

Question About Derek Jeter

mickeef2

If he doesn't play for individual achievements, as he claimed last week in the whole press-invented Ortiz/MVP fiasco...why did he swing at a 3-0 pitch in his last at bat of the game last night, when he hasn't done that in four years? Was it because he had a hitting streak on the line? :confused:

If he doesn't play for individual achievements, as he claimed last week in the whole press-invented Ortiz/MVP fiasco...why did he swing at a 3-0 pitch in his last at bat of the game last night, when he hasn't done that in four years? Was it because he had a hitting streak on the line? :confused:

Jeter is as phony as A-Rod, but since he was on the team that won 4 titles, he gets a free ride.

Jeter is as phony as A-Rod, but since he was on the team that won 4 titles, he gets a free ride.

You make it sound like he did nothing to help win those titles. Wasn't he World Series MVP in 2000? Who did they play???? I think that was the year that Bernie said "Here piazza, hold my glove that I just made the last out with, while I celebrate in your stadium!!"

Don't know if I'd go that far, but he's not the Mr. Clean that he's protrayed as, either.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jeter's the best player in baseball. He always knows exactly what to do at all times on the field and is as clutch as anybody. But you can't say what he said and then swing on 3-0 in that situation when you haven't done it the last 115 times you've had a 3-0 count. It's pretty obvious what his intention was. To call it grasping at straws is ludicrous.

Oh lets see here... Jeter swung at ANOTHER 3-0 pitch tonight and belted it out of the park.

Throws your logic right out the door.

Foot meet Mouth...

What he did last night is irrelevent, and who knows what his thinking was. Maybe he figures Burnett's thinking, "He won't swing on 3-0 again, so I'll throw one right down the middle". Maybe Torre told him he should try it more often. Maybe he figured he looked like a hypocrite and he'd better swing at another 3-0 pitch soon (nah, couldn't be that). The fact is, he swung at a 3-0 pitch on Sunday because he wanted to keep his hitting streak going.

You guys are just jealous of the best ss in the game the last 10 yrs. Who wouldn't want to keep a 25 game hitting streak going, especially with a magic # of 4 with two weeks to go.

You guys are just jealous of the best ss in the game the last 10 yrs. Who wouldn't want to keep a 25 game hitting streak going, especially with a magic # of 4 with two weeks to go.

You're totally missing the point. First off, nobody said he's not a good ballplayer. Second, in response to your question, Derek Jeter wouldn't want to keep a hitting streak going, or so he said last week. Remember, he's not into personal accomplishments. That's the whole point of the argument.

You're totally missing the point. First off, nobody said he's not a good ballplayer. Second, in response to your question, Derek Jeter wouldn't want to keep a hitting streak going, or so he said last week. Remember, he's not into personal accomplishments. That's the whole point of the argument.

With a 3-0 count, maybe he was looking for a good fastball to smack. Like last night, streak over, 3-0 count, he hits a 2 run homer on a fastball to put to put the Yankees one up.

With a 3-0 count, maybe he was looking for a good fastball to smack. Like last night, streak over, 3-0 count, he hits a 2 run homer on a fastball to put to put the Yankees one up.

I understand that. But why hadn't he looked for a good fastball to hit on any of his previous 115 3-0 counts?

Don't know if I'd go that far, but he's not the Mr. Clean that he's protrayed as, either.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jeter's the best player in baseball. He always knows exactly what to do at all times on the field and is as clutch as anybody. But you can't say what he said and then swing on 3-0 in that situation when you haven't done it the last 115 times you've had a 3-0 count. It's pretty obvious what his intention was. To call it grasping at straws is ludicrous.

Jeter is the best all around player in the game. I believe when he swung at that 3-0 pitch it was because he figured that was the best pitch he was gonna see. And he was trying to help his team. I believe his point is/was that if you do all you can do to help your team win then the individual stats will come.

Jeter is the best all around player in the game. I believe when he swung at that 3-0 pitch it was because he figured that was the best pitch he was gonna see. And he was trying to help his team. I believe his point is/was that if you do all you can do to help your team win then the individual stats will come.

With all due respect, I can't buy that. It's not like the guy hardly ever swings on 3-0. He never does it. It's just too much of a coincidence that it happened to be in what he figured would be his last AB with a long hitting streak on the line. You gotta think Jeter longs to break that record, because if anybody could do it he could.

By the way, I don't blame the guy at all for swinging. Just don't act like you're above it. Baseball is a statistics game. Like blunatic said, those guys are obsessed with their stats- all of them.

What he did last night is irrelevent, and who knows what his thinking was. Maybe he figures Burnett's thinking, "He won't swing on 3-0 again, so I'll throw one right down the middle". Maybe Torre told him he should try it more often. Maybe he figured he looked like a hypocrite and he'd better swing at another 3-0 pitch soon (nah, couldn't be that). The fact is, he swung at a 3-0 pitch on Sunday because he wanted to keep his hitting streak going.

or maybe the thought goes through his head once in a while that says, "maybe i'll swing at this 3-0 pitch because i think it will be a good pitch to hit, and it has nothing to do with my hitting streak"

or maybe the thought goes through his head once in a while that says, "maybe i'll swing at this 3-0 pitch because i think it will be a good pitch to hit, and it has nothing to do with my hitting streak"

The thought goes through his head "once in a while", yet he didn't actually swing in that situation for four years? Again, just too much of a coincidence. Why can't you guys just admit he's not perfect? I mean, I've criticized every Red Sox player at one time or another when it was deserved. Just because you love the team doesn't mean you have to put the blinders on. Yankee fans in particular seem to be unable to admit it when a guy on their team does or says anything out of line.

The thought goes through his head "once in a while", yet he didn't actually swing in that situation for four years? Again, just too much of a coincidence. Why can't you guys just admit he's not perfect? I mean, I've criticized every Red Sox player at one time or another when it was deserved. Just because you love the team doesn't mean you have to put the blinders on. Yankee fans in particular seem to be unable to admit it when a guy on their team does or says anything out of line.

i dont really care what he does. as long as we win games, he can stab arod on the field tomorrow night for all i care.