SportsWrath

Off-season priorities, FA and draft

mastershake

For free agents, given that he has said he wants to enter the season with $20mm in cap space (too much in my view), I don't expect DG to dole out more than 3 big contracts (ie $10mm plus) this off-season, even if we cut Martin and Ellison.

That said, if I had to pick 3, it would be nice go big on two top tier pass rushers and a top CB. I just don't see premium O lineman in free agency, so we may have to rely on the draft, or lower tier free agents. Rest of the roster in general can be filled out that way as well.

If Leonard Williams is paid more than $10mm per year, I won't be happy.

39 minutes ago, mastershake said:

For free agents, given that he has said he wants to enter the season with $20mm in cap space (too much in my view), I don't expect DG to dole out more than 3 big contracts (ie $10mm plus) this off-season, even if we cut Martin and Ellison.

That said, if I had to pick 3, it would be nice go big on two top tier pass rushers and a top CB. I just don't see premium O lineman in free agency, so we may have to rely on the draft, or lower tier free agents. Rest of the roster in general can be filled out that way as well.

If Leonard Williams is paid more than $10mm per year, I won't be happy.

that $20 million entering the season is a damn good idea due to the cap carry forward rules. Much better off extending in season with a certain incentive structure than it is to wait until the offseason. 

If there's anybody they want to extend, that is....

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

that $20 million entering the season is a damn good idea due to the cap carry forward rules. Much better off extending in season with a certain incentive structure than it is to wait until the offseason. 

If there's anybody they want to extend, that is....

If they have a plan to use a portion of that $20mm in that fashion, then yes...if they don't plan to invest it, and are keeping it around as insurance in case they have to sign players due to injury, then it's too much.

Either way, I don't expect more than 3 "big" free agent contracts, along with several middle/smaller ones. Maybe something like

DE/DL Chris Jones Or Arik Armstead

DE/OLB Barrett, Ngakoue, or Judon

CB Byron Jones or Logan Ryan (though due to age 29, Ryan may not be too pricey)