SportsWrath

Bring back Spags

JMFP

Just a sidenote.....for those who point to Spags failure in NO.....Rob Ryan is on his way out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24851213/saints-expected-to-find-new-dc-as-sean-payton-rob-ryan-rift-widens

The relationship between Saints head coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been rapidly deteriorating this season, with it privately acknowledged within the team's headquarters that the men strongly dislike each other and a change is inevitable this offseason.

There have been several animated sideline discussions between them, including again in Monday night's defeat, and sources said that is reflection of their growing disconnect and contempt that has been obvious to many within the team for quite some time. Ryan is generally well liked within the team, but Payton demands much from his coordinators and assistants and the defense has regressed rapidly this season (albeit with injuries and personnel deficiencies clearly part of the problem as well).

I posted elsewhere an article from Gary Meyers about bringing Spags back.....at the risk of spamming the boards, I'll post the link again below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-tom-coughlin-steve-spagnuolo-reunion-fix-giants-article-1.2014354

....Spagnuolo, currently a senior defensive assistant with the Ravens, is one of the Giants’ most popular assistants ever with players and management, and if he comes back, John Mara and Steve Tisch can create a healthy in-house competition between Spags and offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo to succeed Coughlin.

.....Spagnuolo had an excellent relationship with Coughlin and it would be a smooth transition if he returned.

....Spagnuolo, who did a spectacular job in 2007, is better than Fewell. Spags’ 2007 Super Bowl defense was ranked No. 7. Fewell’s 20011 Super Bowl defense was No. 27.

Let McAdoo and Spagnuolo prove who deserves to replace Coughlin in 2016. If neither is worthy, then it will be time to start over.

I see this as the most plausible route to take.

It won't solve everything. The injuries, drafting mistakes, and free agency blunders are beyond the control of any head coach or coordinator.....but clearly Spags would be a no-brainer upgrade.

Just a sidenote.....for those who point to Spags failure in NO.....Rob Ryan is on his way out.

I posted elsewhere an article from Gary Meyers about bringing Spags back.....at the risk of spamming the boards, I'll post the link again below.

I see this as the most plausible route to take.

It won't solve everything. The injuries, drafting mistakes, and free agency blunders are beyond the control of any head coach or coordinator.....but clearly Spags would be a no-brainer upgrade.

What will solve injuries is a better S&C team... ours suck right now...

Drafting seems to have improved dramatically... I look at the last 2 drafts as steps in that direction...

Fee Agency was very good for us.. it's the injury bug that bit us in the ass...

And yes Fewel being replaced will be the #1 fix this team needs...

It doesn't matter who the coordinator is so long as Reese is still making the picks.

This roster has more holes than could possibly be patched up in a season.

I don't think that's accur at all... Reese isn't as bad as some think... Like Fish said you need to compare his performance to other GMs.... I look at Hankin, Pugh, ODB and I see huge improvements... It's the lack thereof from the coaching side... How many times has Coughlin been forced to fire coordinators...

This roster has more holes than could possibly be patched up in a season.

I really don't think its all that bad. If Cruz comes back at 100%, the offense is just a couple offensive linemen away. One free agent filler, and a hit on a 2nd or 3rd round interior lineman, and it could be a good (enough) group.

Same deal at linebacker. One decent free agent and one hit on a draft pick, and its a good (enough) group.

2014 Giants = Most Injured Team in the NFL. I'm not convinced they're much more than an average team when healthy, but the cupboard isn't so bare that its time to tear down the house and start over.