SportsWrath

Angel Hernandez admits bias

Blue Jeans

After the game, both Lima and Lo Duca said that Hernandez told them that he was calling pitches farther off the plate strikes for Smoltz, but not for Lima.

"When the umpire said 'I'm going to give you a couple of inches off the plate, but I'm not going to give you 4-5 inches because you're not John Smoltz,' I'm trying to protect my pitcher," Lo Duca said.

Here is my source:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260507121

Its total bullshit, but in all fairness to Angel, veteran pitchers with border line HOF credentials always get better calls from the umps...but I thouhgt it was an unspoken rule amongst players and umps. MLB should defintiely look into this

After the game, both Lima and Lo Duca said that Hernandez told them that he was calling pitches farther off the plate strikes for Smoltz, but not for Lima.

"When the umpire said 'I'm going to give you a couple of inches off the plate, but I'm not going to give you 4-5 inches because you're not John Smoltz,' I'm trying to protect my pitcher," Lo Duca said.

Here is my source:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260507121

:o

I can't believe they actually admitted to that.

LaDuca on WFAN this morning said he said it to Lima...that "he was not going to get the 5 inches outside that he was no John Smoltz."

So LaDuca said it not the umpire?

I'd still like to know who is fucked now?