SportsWrath

Atlanta Braves (12-16) at New York Mets (19-9) at 7:10 on 5/5/06

Plax 4 Prez

Wright, surging Mets open three-game set vs. Braves

Atlanta (12-16) at Ny Mets (19-9) 7:10 pm EDT

FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) - David Wright and the New York Mets are off to a roaring start and are leaving the rest of the National League East Division in their dust.

The surging Mets hope to widen their five-game division lead when they host the rival Atlanta Braves on Friday in the opener of a three-game series.

New York has won seven of its last nine games and is 10 games above .500 for the first time since the end of the 2000 campaign. After an impressive 6-4 road trip, the Mets have gone 3-1 on their seven-game homestand.

Wright had four hits Thursday and Tom Glavine stuck out 10 over seven brilliant innings as New York cruised to a 6-0 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Mets on Friday turn to Steve Trachsel (2-2, 4.73 ERA), who was awful in his last outing against the Braves. The righthander was roughed up for six runs in just 3 2/3 innings as New York dropped an 8-5 decision at Atlanta on Sunday.

Conversely, Braves starter Kyle Davies (2-2, 4.70) has been outstanding when he faces the Mets. The 22-year-old righthander has won both starts against New York this year and is 3-0 with a 1.69 ERA in four career appearances - three starts - against Atlanta's fiercest rival.

I don't get it, is having Kiner on a couple of Fridays a month a marketing type of thing? He can't say a sentence anymore. It's hard to watch, especially a guy like him.

kiner_ralph.jpg

he was a pretty big dude back in the day

June 5th. times flying by for me.

I'll never forget the last week before I went to FT Benning, Georgia in '01...I was so scared, and when I was at MEPS I calmed down alot... it was just when I was with my friends and family that it really hit me... take care of yourself, bro, and when you come back home let us know... I'd like to hear some stories from Paris Island