SportsWrath

The Cowboys Draft Board - where they rated Giants' picks

BleedinBlue

Interesting article. A man used a variety of photos of the war room to piece together where the Cowboy's had players rated and compared them to where the Giants got them. Does it mean anything? Not really, but it's interesting.

From BBV

Our friends at SB Nation's Dallas Cowboys web site "Blogging The Boys" have managed to cull together a look at the Cowboys draft board, using screen shots from video taken inside the Cowboys war room. Here is a look at one of those screen shots, followed by info on where the players selected by the New York Giants were on the Dallas draft board.

via assets.sbnation.com

BTB was able to construct the board through about five full rounds. Let's look at where players the Giants selected were placed by the Cowboys.

Round 1,
Justin Pugh, OL (19th overall)
-- Dallas had Pugh in its second round, misleading because the Cowboys picked 18th and their board thus had only 18 first-round players listed. Pugh is 22nd overall on the Dallas board.

Round 2,
Johnathan Hankins, DT (49th overall)
-- Hankins is nowhere to be found on the Cowboys board, as he was apparently considered a bad fit for the Dallas defensive scheme.

Round 3,
Damontre Moore, DE (81st overall)
-- Moore was in Dallas's third round, 68th overall. So, by the Cowboys board the young defensive end would be considered great value.

Round 4,
Ryan Nassib, QB (110th overall)
-- Dallas had Nassib ranked 28th overall, two spots ahead of Matt Barkley, taken ahead of Nassib by the Philadelphia Eagles. Again, great value by this measure.

That is as far as the board BTB reconstructed went. It's interesting, plus I'm sure you will have fun picking on Jones and the Cowboys for having this information reach the Inter-Google.

In all honesty, I would love if every team released their draft board after the draft, just to show who they had ratings on and see the discrepancy between teams.

It would be fun to see if JR really does take the best value player every year.

I like the fact that you can see the 'Boys, draft board, wish the Giants would do it.

From NFL.com

For the second time in four years, the folks at Bloggingtheboys.com have reconstructed the Dallas Cowboys' draft board via screen shots of video taken from interviews with owner Jerry Jones.

The result is a fascinating peak into the thought process of one NFL team.

The Cowboys had just 18 players with a first-round grade. All but Tyler Eifert, Sharrif Floyd, Bjoern Werner, Xavier Rhodes and Cordarrelle Patterson were off the board before Dallas was slated to pick at No. 18 overall. This bolsters the notion that the team's brass had already decided to trade down well before their pick came around. It's interesting to note that three of the 18 players who the Cowboys gave first-round grades ended up with the Minnesota Vikings.

If the Cowboys were high on the Vikings' draft haul, they didn't think much of the Buffalo Bills' first-round selection. Quarterback EJ Manuel carried a fourth-round grade in Dallas, behind the likes of Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley and Geno Smith (all graded as second-rounders). The Cowboys similarly were down on Kyle Long (No. 20 overall), Desmond Trufant (No. 22) and Datone Jones (No. 26), all graded as third-rounders. Cornerback Johnthan Banks, the No. 43 overall pick by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, received a sixth-round grade.

Several teams reportedly had late-round grades on No. 31 overall pick Travis Frederick. In fact, the Cowboys didn't even grade their new starting center as a first-rounder. Frederick, second-round pick Gavin Escobar (tight end) and third-round pick Terrance Williams (wide receiver) were all graded as second-rounders. Fifth-round selection Joseph Randle (running back) carried a third-round grade, which explains the team's expectation that he will beat out Phillip Tanner and Lance Dunbar for backup duties behind DeMarco Murray.

Among the players taken off the Cowboys' board presumably due to injury or character concerns were first-rounders Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree and Matt Elam. Also conspicuously absent were running backs Marcus Lattimore and Christine Michael, wide receivers Robert Woods and Keenan Allen and defensive back Tyrann Mathieu.

It's incredible that Blogging the Boys has been able to cobble this list together twice now without an adjustment from Jones. While the inside access is appreciated by fans and beat writers, it's a good bet the Cowboys will put the kibosh on Jones' whiteboard interviews, citing competitive disadvantage.

Nothing in this article about the Giants. I'd love to know where they had Cooper Taylor. I am of the camp that believes he will end up the steal of the draft for the Giants.

It appears the Cowboys have had their fill of athletes with troubled pasts. I think between Pac Man Jones and T.O., they learned some guys kill team chemistry no matter how talented they are.

Interestingly, the Cowboys burned their first pick on C - Travis Frederick, who was not even ranked on their board as a first round pick and was thought to be a 4th-7th round pick by pretty much the whole NFL nation. That was a head scratcher....even Frederick was shocked. He thought the best case scenario for him was to get picked late in the second round and worst case, go undrafted. But I guess the Cowboys really needed a center and weren't going to lose this guy under any circumstance.

The best part is that this is the SECOND time they've done this, but Jerrah is such an egomaniac he won't stop doing the mid-draft interviews that are exposing the data. If these guys already posted this last year, how many teams were trying to do this in real time this year?

The best part is that this is the SECOND time they've done this, but Jerrah is such an egomaniac he won't stop doing the mid-draft interviews that are exposing the data. If these guys already posted this last year, how many teams were trying to do this in real time this year?

Good point. I am certain that some teams were spying and trying to piece meal their data as Jerry schmoozed for the camera. You absolutely know that Belichik and the Patriots cheat every chance they get.

I can't see how it would make that much difference unless it was obvious they might take someone earlier than expected and your team liked him and thought they could get him later. I thought the Cowboy's draft sucked in the first two rounds, but they took a couple of players I wanted the Giants to take in Wilcox and Webb who I was hoping would fall through the cracks as they were small school products and the Giants usually take at least one small school product in the draft.

Regardless...Jerry is an idiot!

Or perhaps its a fake draft board. Jerrah didn't get where he is by being stupid.

All teams use huge whiteboards in the war room so that the crew working the draft can be on the same page. If they didn't, they'd be hard pressed to keep track of everything. I suppose they could each have an I-Pad, but it's hard to see the overall big picture if you have to flip through pages and I didn't see anyone holding an I-Pad in the pictures. Also....their board was fairly accurate and if they were trying to deceive the competition, they wouldn't have left off the players with character issues...and in fact, would have encouraged other teams to take them by overrating them on their board. IMHO

All teams use huge whiteboards in the war room so that the crew working the draft can be on the same page. If they didn't, they'd be hard pressed to keep track of everything. I suppose they could each have an I-Pad, but it's hard to see the overall big picture if you have to flip through pages and I didn't see anyone holding an I-Pad in the pictures. Also....their board was fairly accurate and if they were trying to deceive the competition, they wouldn't have left off the players with character issues...and in fact, would have encouraged other teams to take them by overrating them on their board. IMHO

It is encouraging that they had Pugh relatively high. So... I hope its real.

It is encouraging that they had Pugh relatively high. So... I hope its real.

I'm sure it's real. My biggest surprise was that they had Nassib rated as the top QB in the draft and they had Moore much higher than where we got him.

Not surprised they didn't have Hankins rated higher as they weren't in need of a run-stuffing defensive lineman as we were.

All in all...I'm very happy with this draft and most excited about Cooper Taylor to see how he might end up.