SportsWrath

Giants 4th Round Pick (129) - Guy Whimper, OT, East Carolina

uconngiants

Guy Whimper, East Carolina (6-4¾, 296; 4.96)

Whimper had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran 4.96 twice in the 40. He had a 29-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-6 broad jump, 4.59 short shuttle, 7.38 three-cone drill and did 25 lifts. He was a defensive end in high school, and also lettered in basketball and track. Played defensive end and linebacker in 2002 and 2003. Played tight end in 2004 and started at tackle in 2005 (one at left and nine at right). He's a very good athlete with good potential. He could be a good player in time, but he needs lots of coaching and weight work.

Guest Lockhart

From ESPN

Guy Whimper

Height: 6-5

Weight: 305

40 Speed: 4.96*

Position: Offensive Tackle

College: East Carolina

Final Grade: E 5.3 OG

GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key

SUMMARY

Whimper has size, strength and athletic ability to be a productive collegiate offensive tackle, but in fact, was beaten a surprisng number of times by smaller and less-talented defensive ends. For such a big offensive tackle, he has good athletic ability and has shown the ability to slide out to cut off the corner from edge rushers, but he tends to stop his feet as soon as he makes contact and can be beaten around the corner or back inside by a pass-rush move. When he is aggressive punching the defensive end in pass protection, he can jolt the defensive end backward and eliminate his initial rush. Most of the time he keeps his hands low and aggressive pass rushers can get into his chest and drive him backward too easily. When he fires down the line of scrimmage on aggressive down and side blocks, he can drive the defensive tackle way down the line of scrimmage and collapse the line. More often than not he doesn't run block aggressively, stays upright and gets stood up and stacked at the point of attack. Can get through to the second level quickly when he is uncovered and can jolt the linebacker off his feet with a hard initial blow, but he can't adjust to block a moving target well out in space. Overall, Whimper has the talent to play tackle or guard in the NFL if he learned to play more aggressively on every snap and competed from snap to whistle. In the end Whimper, may not be able to fully translate his ability into production in the NFL and will struggle to establish himself.

STRONG POINTS

Whimper is a huge offensive tackle with the thick build and long arms to be a physical presence. When he plays aggressively and attacks the defensive line, he has the strength to get movement on in-line run blocks. For a big offensive tackle he can get through to the second level surprisingly well when uncovered and can deliver a good initial block to the linebacker. Can slide out to the corner to cut off the edge rusher. Has the flexibility to bend his knees and pass block with a good, wide base, and when he plays with good base, he can re-direct and adjust to quick pass-rush moves.

WEAKNESSES

Whimper does not use good technique or block aggressively often enough, which leads to him getting pushed around too easily. Doesn't punch in pass protection, which lets aggressive pass rushers get into his chest and they can drive him backward into the quarterback's lap. Usually stops his feet as soon as he makes contact on blocks and it leads to him losing that block. Despite having the feet to re-direct and adjust in pass protection, he tends to get upright and straight-legged in pass protection and can't adjust to the quick inside pass-rush move. Doesn't fire off the ball to be a run blocker, but more of a positional push blocker.

Sound like NFL Europe material.

Yea I like this pick. I think he is a very good project. Tackles that have quick feet are hard to find. He has a lot of upside.

I can't even make any kind of judgement on this pick. I haven't gotten one glimpse of him in action, and I'm just starting to read some of these scouting reports. Seems like he can have more upside than the remaining OT's on the board.

I can't even make any kind of judgement on this pick. I haven't gotten one glimpse of him in action, and I'm just starting to read some of these scouting reports. Seems like he can have more upside than the remaining OT's on the board.

Yeah but everybody wanted EA to go out with a Bang not a Whimper. :unsure:

Guest So.Cal Dub
This is pitiful - next round he will draft a guy named pussy!

:LMAO:

This Whimper kid is a good one, though.

I dont think anyone watched enough to make a sound judgement. I seen one ECU game this season vs WVU I remember the name (it does stand out). Dont remember too much about him though.

Yea I like this pick. I think he is a very good project. Tackles that have quick feet are hard to find. He has a lot of upside.

Hate that Overused expression for players...*upside*. Fuck an UPSIDE...we needed TWO DT not some project OT.

I think this is a great late round pick for our team. Luke, regardless of who we might have drafted, is our LT for this year and next. He's a solid player and would not be cut next year in favor of an up and coming rookie. So hopefully in 2 years Guy Whimper willl have developed into a solid LT for us. He's definitely talented enough.

Hate that Overused expression for players...*upside*. Fuck an UPSIDE...we needed TWO DT not some project OT.

You're acting as if the draft is over or we cant dip into free agency. Chill out, take a deep breath or go take a quick walk outside and get some fresh air.

This is pitiful - next round he will draft a guy named pussy!

Lockhart, here is a question. I see you have bashed the picks of Whimper and Cofield and that is fine, but you have yet to tell us who you think the alternatives for T(a guy who will not probably even dress much this year if everyone stays healthy) and DT?

Who did you want instead?

You're acting as if the draft is over or we cant dip into free agency. Chill out, take a deep breath or go take a quick walk outside and get some fresh air.

As you can see, there aint a whole lotta DT's in free agency and the G men gave up TWO of them. Can this 'upside' guy spell relief duties for the one DT that we have??? Can he stuff the run???

I'm going for a walk.... :)

As you can see, there aint a whole lotta DT's in free agency and the G men gave up TWO of them. Can this 'upside' guy spell relief duties for the one DT that we have??? Can he stuff the run???

Brentson Buckner?

Grady Jackson, Brenston Buckner, Jason Fisk, Brandon Noble can all be here at a fair price. When you say "the G men gave up TWO of them", who are you referring to? Kendrick Allen?

Lets be smart, this tackle has limited time at OT and has performed well enough to be drafted in the 4th. Take it for what its worth but Kiper had him as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect. Drafting a guy in the 4th round who can potential start at LT in a few years must be a mistake though... what is EA thinking?

You said "for the one DT we have" . . . . umm last I checked Joseph and Robbins are still on roster. Now we have Cofield and we can still get a FA DT, we can possibly even draft one or sign a undrafted player to compete.

Lets not act as if Clancy and Allen were such a key part to our success last season.