SportsWrath

Rounds 2 and 3 tonight

BleedinBlue

Should be interesting tonight. A lot of guys mocked to go in the first are still left on the board. I don't know who the Giants will take with their second pick, but I suspect it will be a defensive player since they already took an offensive player.

I'm hoping OT Mike Adams is still on the board at 64, but that would be more offense. I also hope the Giants take a shot at TE Taylor Thompson who would be a high risk/high reward player if ever there was one. A 6'6" guy who has the speed of a RB and has great hands. On the other hand, since he played DE for about 95% of his college career, he should also know a little (or a lot) about blocking and working on the line and should be able to block when called to do so.

Bleedin', I wouldn't mind Taylor Thompson in Blue, but that's a huge gamble I wouldn't want to make prior to the 4th round. Still good, productive players available in the 3rd. The thing with Thompson is he has no college production at TE. So basically you're bringing in an athlete and have to teach him how to play the position pretty much from scratch.

Bleedin', I wouldn't mind Taylor Thompson in Blue, but that's a huge gamble I wouldn't want to make prior to the 4th round. Still good, productive players available in the 3rd. The thing with Thompson is he has no college production at TE. So basically you're bringing in an athlete and have to teach him how to play the position pretty much from scratch.

Very true.....but I'm reminded of the article about Eli turning recievers into stars and how Smith, Boss, etc., fell off dramatically once Eli was no longer throwing to them. I'm curious to see how Manningham will do without Eli.

Anyway....Eli is a student of the game and he gets together with his receivers over and over to go over plays and practice timing/routes, etc.....even when practice isn't called. Eli develops a relationship with his receivers that is more important than just knowing routes and catching the ball. Eli makes a receiver excel and is a teacher and mentor to these guys. Nicks turned out to be the top WR in his draft class even though he was the 5th receiver off the board. Makes me wonder how much that has to do with Eli.

Regardless....the point that I'm trying to make is that Eli could take Thompson and turn him into a great TE (IMHO). Thompson is so much faster than the other huge TE's in the draft and every scout has been amazed at the way he can catch the ball. I think he's a diamond in the rough that could turn out to be a far better player than Fleener in the long run. I think he's a risk worth taking earlier than some expect. I remember when they took Osi in the 2nd and all the pundits laughed because they thought he could be had in the 5th or 6th, or at the earliest, 4th and gave the Giants a "C" grade. Giants certainly got the last laugh on that one.