SportsWrath

1st and 15 vs a wasted time out.

Virginia Giant

T.O. vs Delay of game  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is better, taking a T.O. to avoid a 5 yard penalty, or taking the penalty to keep the T.O.

• Take the Time Out to avoid a 5 yard delay of game penalty
    • Take the 5 yard penalty, keep the time out.

The Giants just hit a big play down the field, couldnt get to the line in time and had to burn a time out to avoid a delay of game penalty. This is na situation I see a lot and always wonder about, particularly in the second half of a game. Is taking a time out to avoid the 5 yard penalty worse than just taking the penalty and keeping the T.O.?

The timeouts are going to be more important, IMO....but who knows if we even score that TD if we switch to 1st and15....add in the illegal formation penalty, too.....I said it's normally better to take the 5 yarder, particularly in the 2nd half, but what do I know.....

The timeouts are going to be more important, IMO....but who knows if we even score that TD if we switch to 1st and15....add in the illegal formation penalty, too.....I said it's normally better to take the 5 yarder, particularly in the 2nd half, but what do I know.....

I agree, you have 3 time outs a half, they should be conserved unless you really need to take one. Now, if there is a mixup at the line, a problem with communication, or the D just doesn't look good, take na time out. But I hate seeing a time out wasted just to avoid a delay of game. Chances are you'll get a tv time out anyway so you lose 5 yards, keep a to and still get a tv time out. Even if you don't get a tv to, the play clock resets and you get to start from scratch.