SportsWrath

Coughlin and Reese

Lughead

Giants Choose Production and Speed Over Fame at LB

By John Fennelly on May 01, 2011, 6:42 am

The Giants drafted two linebackers on Day Three of the NFL Draft yesterday, but the names were ones that few had discussed or mocked to the team during the past few months.

Screen-shot-2011-05-01-at-6.38.27-AM.pngThe Giants picked Michigan St LB Greg Jones in the Sixth Round yesterday.

After watching the likes of UNC's Bruce Carter and Oregon's Casey Matthews go to hated rivals Dallas and Philadelphia respectively, Giant fans were served with Michigan State's Greg Jones and USF's Jacquian Williams.

Not sure if and how these two can help the Giants, but then again, what do I know? The Giants seem pretty confident that both players will acclimate to the pro level.

Jerry Reese on Greg Jones: "..linebacker, has been incredibly productive over his time at Michigan State. One of the things that the late Tom Boisture taught me is when you scout guys, you respect production. This guy has tons of production. This guy has sacks. He has tons and tons of tackles. He's played at a high level, very instinctive player. Another guy who's going to come in with a chip on his shoulder because I'm pretty sure he feels like he should've been picked a lot higher than where he got picked. He'll come in here with something to prove as well, along with Marvin Austin."

Tom Coughlin on Jones: "…Greg Jones, the highly productive linebacker from Michigan State, was our first pick in the sixth round. He is a three-time all Big 10 middle backer who has tremendous production and lots of tackles, any number of sacks over the course of his career as well. And so he was our first pick."

Marc Ross on Jones: .."Greg Jones – production. To get a guy who is this productive, this late, three-time all-Big 10, tons of tackles, sacks, tackles for loss, instinctive, plays hard, gets to the football. He is short but he is compact and thickly built, just is a football player…..we think he can play MIKE. He kind of played all three positions at Michigan State. But we see him as a MIKE, and the way he is built – compact, thick. And he plays best in there because he is so slippery; real quick laterally. And he has the instincts and vision to play inside."

Williams was the Giants' last of three 6th Round selections. He comes from the same program that produced JPP and Nate Allen of the Eagles. It appears the Giants are intrigued by his ability and have him earmarked as a special teams guy.

Reese on Williams: "… fast, athletic. The guy will strike you, will give us some more speed on our special teams. Junior college kid, so he'll be behind a little bit with regard to high level of play. Came there late, to South Florida, but he got into the mix really quickly there and just took off. A lot of people probably didn't know him. Our scouts really did a good job digging this guy out. We think he can really give us a boost on special teams with his speed while he's learning how to play up here at this level."

Coughlin on Williams: "Jacquian Williams, the linebacker from South Florida – we had him on the board. He is a little bit bigger than what you are going to see. He was 231 when we weighed him and he does have the outstanding speed. And he will be an outstanding contributor, once again, on special teams.."

Ross on Williams: "…Williams is kind of an undercover guy who not many people have heard about him. He went to the same junior college as Jason Pierre-Paul and went to South Florida. This guy is almost 6-3, 235 pounds. He played about 220 or so because he has put on weight, growing into his body. He is fast. He ran 4.63 on grass at his pro day. He plays that way on the field. He plays with an edge, more of a run and chase kind of guy who plays hard, flies around and he likes to hit….Like I said, he only played around 220. So if you went in there, you saw a 220 linebacker, you might say, "Okay, we won't look at him." But he jumps off the tape at you because of his speed and competitiveness. And he flies around. And since South Florida had about eight guys on defense that you have to look at, he was just under the radar because of him being a developer, and just not a high profile name….As a football player he plays with good instincts. He is good in the classroom. He won't be one of the best, but on the field the guy plays with a good feel for the game.

Not too bad if they go to Special Ed Teams as they well and truly sucked beyond all recovery last year.

That's true.....ST was always a weak spot, and during the Epic Collapse Game, they share responsiblity with the defense.

I think myself Jones is going to make an impact, but te other kid just doesn't make sense to me, sounds like he's the ultimate project. I don't know if I would boast about my scouts doing an excellent job digging up this kid, digging him from where?, South Florida plays in the Big East.