SportsWrath

Jeff Fisher Plans To Get Back Into Coaching In 2012

Mr. P

jefffisherreuters.jpg

Former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who held the job from 1994 through 2010, plans to take the year off. Completely.

In 2012, however, he plans to return.

“When I wake up in the morning, I’m happy,” Fisher told Peter King of Sports Illustrated. “It was not an easy decision [to stop coaching], but it was the right decision. My hope is to get back into coaching next year. For now, it’ll be fun to see parts of the year coaches never get to see because we’re always coaching. I’m going to take some time off, play some golf and watch my son play at Auburn.”

It has been presumed for the past few years that Fisher will have a long line of suitors if and when he becomes available. He became available too late in the 2011 hiring cycle to test that theory. Come next year, it’ll be very interesting to see whether he’s at the top of the “A” list.

Skeptics will point to years of mediocrity with the Titans, along with a string of players who have found lots of trouble off the field (Pacman Jones, Kenny Britt, Albert Haynesworth) and plenty of trouble on it (Cortland Finnegan, Albert Haynesworth). But Fisher has cultivated strong media relationships, and the Competition Committee is by all appearances holding his seat. When the writers and the talkers begin putting Fisher’s name out there for 2012, his candidacy will become a self-fulfilling prophecy — and we’re confident that someone will hire him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jeff-fisher-plans-to-get-back-into-coaching-in-2012/

posted so jack can have more hopefuls.

Not a coughlin hater, too much at least. I would be absolutely ecstatic is Fisher ended up as the HC of the Giants. Even if that means firing TC.

ayup-

i would think that cough might step down after this year- if there is year. he'll be 65 before the season starts- if there is a season. fisher is the ideal replacement- experienced yet still hungry. doesn't think he's a rock star like chucky or the jaw.

I thought for sure this was a Stroud post.

I dont know if I would want Fisher as a HC, I mean I dont think he is better then Coughlin while at the same time I dont think he is worse. They are almost two in the same in my opinion.

I mean I think Coughlin is done as HC after this season regardless of what happens, he is getting up there in age and I'm sure a front office position is looking mighty comfy then the sidelines for 16 weekends. I think Fisher would be a good replacement if there was no better choice available, I'm sure he is going to have a chip on his shoulder after the Titans let him go. I just dont think it would be a massive step up in the HC though but at the same time if he produces much like Coughlin I wouldn't complain.

Be interesting to see if we could get him though.

ayup-

i would think that cough might step down after this year- if there is year. he'll be 65 before the season starts- if there is a season. fisher is the ideal replacement- experienced yet still hungry. doesn't think he's a rock star like chucky or the jaw.

:laugh:

blunatic is officially in charge of Coach's Nicknames. "Badtanahan" still cracks me up.