SportsWrath

ELI and Plax

Lughead

Um because he was the direct cause of about 10+ interceptions this season, bobbles, running the wrong route, etc. He doesn't grasp the offense and drops a ton of big passes. Wide open, 30 yards down the field, dropped.

He's essentially OUR Braylon Edwards.

i don't undertand- if you exonerate eli of 10+ interceptions, you're saying he had a helluva year. i didn't think you believed that.

i don't undertand- if you exonerate eli of 10+ interceptions, you're saying he had a helluva year. i didn't think you believed that.

He had a crappy year, but they are the faults of both players. If Eli doesn't gun the ball 110 MPH 5 yards away about a foot high and if Nicks had better hands and was on the same page as Eli, we wouldn't have to worry.

Still doesn't change the fact that Nicks is not a solid player mentally. He just isn't. It should be clear that he has lapses in concentration and lacks any understanding of the offense and opposing teams defenses. He has dropped key receptions since his first year in the league and he continued to do it this season.

He had a crappy year, but they are the faults of both players. If Eli doesn't gun the ball 110 MPH 5 yards away about a foot high and if Nicks had better hands and was on the same page as Eli, we wouldn't have to worry.

Still doesn't change the fact that Nicks is not a solid player mentally. He just isn't. It should be clear that he has lapses in concentration and lacks any understanding of the offense and opposing teams defenses. He has dropped key receptions since his first year in the league and he continued to do it this season.

This is his second season in the NFL. He only played about 8 games in his first year. He's still a young player, and already he's made an enormous impact. He was the unquestioned MVP of the team the first half of the season, prior to his injury. I think your criticism is extremely exaggerated. And I'll say this... Hakeem Nicks is a better receiver now than Plaxico has EVER been. I simply don't see how this level of criticism is warranted in his case. Nicks comes off to me as a very bright guy, he works very hard, and the only lapses in concentration I've seen from him is on the couple of drops he's had. By they way, he dropped 6 passes this season... same as Kevin Boss. But Nicks' hands are actually very good. Some of the catches he does make nobody else on the team could make. Seriously, this guy is a player... and his season was a long, long way off of crappy... I just don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, Wes Welker led the NFL in drops this year with 13. Miles Austin led the NFC with 10. Other guys with 6 drops this season:

Calvin Johnson

DeSean Jackson

Roddy White

Jeremy Maclin

Marques Colston

Santana Moss

If you want to really argue about his route running, I would say that no one can really know if he ran the wrong route or not... this is the reality of our offense.... where unspoken reads are made and receivers make adjustments on their routes and sometimes the QB reads the same thing and sometimes not. Honestly.... Nicks is going to go down as the best WR we've ever had, and it won't be close.

This is his second season in the NFL. He only played about 8 games in his first year. He's still a young player, and already he's made an enormous impact. He was the unquestioned MVP of the team the first half of the season, prior to his injury. I think your criticism is extremely exaggerated. And I'll say this... Hakeem Nicks is a better receiver now than Plaxico has EVER been. I simply don't see how this level of criticism is warranted in his case. Nicks comes off to me as a very bright guy, he works very hard, and the only lapses in concentration I've seen from him is on the couple of drops he's had. By they way, he dropped 6 passes this season... same as Kevin Boss. But Nicks' hands are actually very good. Some of the catches he does make nobody else on the team could make. Seriously, this guy is a player... and his season was a long, long way off of crappy... I just don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, Wes Welker led the NFL in drops this year with 13. Miles Austin led the NFC with 10. Other guys with 6 drops this season:

Calvin Johnson

DeSean Jackson

Roddy White

Jeremy Maclin

Marques Colston

Santana Moss

If you want to really argue about his route running, I would say that no one can really know if he ran the wrong route or not... this is the reality of our offense.... where unspoken reads are made and receivers make adjustments on their routes and sometimes the QB reads the same thing and sometimes not. Honestly.... Nicks is going to go down as the best WR we've ever had, and it won't be close.

surprisingly, i mostly agree.

storm i think you've been overly critical of the team in general. you're comparing them to perfection instead of to their competition.

It isn't so much the amount of drops, it's the timing and say...the deep passes right into his hands that he drops. He's very inconsistent.

Manningham had a more consistent season.

Don't most receivers really put it together in their 3rd season.

For the production we have gotten out of Nicks already and you guys are bitching about his lapses. He is still young and learning this year he will be even better.

surprisingly, i mostly agree.

storm i think you've been overly critical of the team in general. you're comparing them to perfection instead of to their competition.

I compare them to their capabilities....but now, I've come to realize the talent on this team just isn't there.

I compare them to their capabilities....but now, I've come to realize the talent on this team just isn't there.

Storm, if I may, as critical as I've been... it has been mostly directed at the offensive (mis)management by Gilbride. I think it might also be fair to say Eli could take a larger role in assuming command of the offense as well, and that would mitigate to a degree, Gilbride's influence (in theory). I also think that while I was mostly satisfied with Fewell this season, there were a couple of games that his game plan was an absolute stinker that didn't give us a chance to win. Indianapolis and Green Bay games immediately come to mind.

But all considered, if there is anything I'm encouraged by, it took a record amount of turnovers to derail this season and we still missed the playoffs by a whisker. If anything, with Gilbride, the turnovers, the special teams disasters (with our "young punter's" mishaps), and the injuries we took especially to the offensive line, it is an absolute tribute to the talent of the players that we won 10 games.

Just think about it.... look at JPP and how great he looked his rookie year just playing part time. Look at Osi setting a record for FF's and he and Tuck combining for about 23 sacks. Webster played unbelievable this year. Huge, HUGE improvements by the defense from last season to this season. We have a lot of players in their primes, great players, and this team is tremendously talented on offense and defense.

Now, special teams are an absolute mess and they need to do a complete re-work, because even if we had an average special teams unit, we are in the playoffs this year.