SportsWrath

The Jay Schroeder Syndrome

fringe

When JoeTheisman's leg was twisted into a pretzel the Giants were comfortably in command of that game. Then a weird looking blond kid named Jay Schroeder came trotting in, scared shit of the fearsome Giants rush. Of course, he promptly led the Redskins to victory.

Which led the way to other backups like Kevin Sweeney, Gary Hogeboom, Ryan Leaf (?!) some guy named Cody and others too numerous to mention who have excelled against the Giants. Almost happened today again against Drew Stanton.

Luckily the stupidity of the Lions coaching staff (how could you not challenge that fumble?) overcame the Scrhoeder syndrome today. But it wasn't easy.

Phew.

When JoeTheisman's leg was twisted into a pretzel the Giants were comfortably in command of that game. Then a weird looking blond kid named Jay Schroeder came trotting in, scared shit of the fearsome Giants rush. Of course, he promptly led the Redskins to victory.

Which led the way to other backups like Kevin Sweeney, Gary Hogeboom, Ryan Leaf (?!) some guy named Cody and others too numerous to mention who have excelled against the Giants. Almost happened today again against Drew Stanton.

Luckily the stupidity of the Lions coaching staff (how could you not challenge that fumble?) overcame the Scrhoeder syndrome today. But it wasn't easy.

Phew.

It was definitely out, but worth a challenge, you're right.

He was lying on the ground with the defended on top of him. Can't be any more down than that, it just depends if the call one hand laid on the ball "possession".

the ball came out when he was in the air. they showed it multiple times. they would have challenged it if they had seen something that could overturn it.

they had plenty of time to look at it, the Giants calmly walked up to the line of scrimmage and were in no hurry to snap the ball.

you are going on the assumption they are competent. 95% of coaches would challenge that- with the 2 variables that tree pointed out, it's crazy not to. someone with your name already said that in this thread. rolleyes.gif

Man I must have watched a different play. I didn't see anything close to possession from Burleson, unless you count when he was trying to pin it to his ass while flailing around looking for the ball.

You're right he did, but only after we had both hands on it first.

Looking at it again the both appear to grasp the ball at the same time.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/detroit-lions/09000d5d81b67bf3

I thought they'll usually give the benefit of the doubt to to the receiver in a case like that?

I honestly don't know how it should have been called but it was DEFINITELY worth a challenge.

I thought they'll usually give the benefit of the doubt to to the receiver in a case like that?

I honestly don't know how it should have been called but it was DEFINITELY worth a challenge.

He barely even had 1 hand on the football while Deon Grant was ripping from the one hand that was desperately trying to cling to it..I don't think possession could have ever been clearly given to Burleson....

agreed

I agree, it was worth a shot, several times I've seen the Giants in a similar situation where it looks like someone gets possession of a fumble, then there's a pileup and the ball changes hands. They probably wouldn't have overturned it, but at that point the Lions had nothing to lose.