SportsWrath

The Anit-competition committee

Firstnten

This year’s safety rules changes include prohibiting pass rushers from hitting a passer in the knee or below unless they are blocked into them, toughening the horse collar rule enacted last year, and prohibiting defensive players from lining up directly over center on field goal and extra point attempts.

“I would say the thing that we spent the most time on, by far, was the low hit on the quarterback,” Mara said. “I felt like this was the most important player safety issue we had dealt with in a number of years. We watched hours and hours of tape of quarterback injuries. So many of them occurred when the quarterback was in a completely defenseless position, which happened when he set himself to pass, he had both feet on the ground, he is looking downfield and he is being hit. He has no opportunity to defend himself. There are horrific injuries as a result.”

The competition committee studies those injuries and recommends rules changes that could help prevent them. The process for altering the rules begins shortly after the season, when a survey is sent to all 32 teams, asking them what rules changes they favor and any suggestions they have. The eight-man committee discusses every proposal it receives, first during three days of meetings in Indianapolis during the scouting combine, then in a week-long session prior to the league meetings.

Is anyone else sicken by this. So lest get this straight, the refs who don't get alot of things right are now gonna call a PF's on players that hit a QB below the knee, and what has to hit below the knee the shoulder your fourarm your hand???

Anyone who has ever played football on just about any level. Has to be scrathing thier heads on this one.

I guess it's more about the owners investment then it is one preserving the game. what a bunch of horse shit.

Is anyone else sicken by this. So lest get this straight, the refs who don't get alot of things right are now gonna call a PF's on players that hit a QB below the knee, and what has to hit below the knee the shoulder your fourarm your hand???

Anyone who has ever played football on just about any level. Has to be scrathing thier heads on this one.

I guess it's more about the owners investment then it is one preserving the game. what a bunch of horse shit.

I agree. I laughed when I read about this rule change. The refs can't even figure out when to call the horse-collar rule (how many times did they NOT call it when Tiki got tackled last season?) and now they are expected to add this new rule to the ever-expanding list of things they don't know how and when to call. Ridiculous. :o

Guest Nutty Sack

Did anyone ask Joe Theisman what he thought of the new rule ??

Did anyone ask Joe Theisman what he thought of the new rule ??

Yeah I did he said

tell nutty to shut the fuck up...

he followed up by saying for a guy with the word "sack" in his name one would think that he would not be minus one...

but again...here we are...

I agree. I laughed when I read about this rule change. The refs can't even figure out when to call the horse-collar rule (how many times did they NOT call it when Tiki got tackled last season?) and now they are expected to add this new rule to the ever-expanding list of things they don't know how and when to call. Ridiculous. :o

The horse collar was called correctly most times last year. The rule states you have to have your hands in the shoulder pads of the player, most times tiki was taken down by the jersey. (The difference shouldn't matter, but they did usually get it right)

Guest CoachLubrano

It's a tough issue.

Injuries are becoming an increasingly huge problem, and the quarterback is easily the most important player on each team.

How much does it suck when your favorite player or your teams star player is down for the season and completely ruins the season for you?

A QB is very vulnerable standing back there, so I'm all for protecting him if possible. I just don't know if these new rules will do anything at all in that direction.

I played offensive as well as defensive line, so I'm kind of both ways on this. I used to flip out if I saw anyone come near my QB, but on defense I did whatever I could to knock the opposing QB's ass out.

The horse collar was called correctly most times last year. The rule states you have to have your hands in the shoulder pads of the player, most times tiki was taken down by the jersey. (The difference shouldn't matter, but they did usually get it right)

Actually, the rule is based off of one thing. Is the player in pain, or did he pop right back up? If Tiki didn't come back up after what we thought was a horse collar by roy but in actuality, was not an official horse collar, the penalty may still be called.

Yeah I did he said

tell nutty to shut the fuck up...

he followed up by saying for a guy with the word "sack" in his name one would think that he would not be minus one...

but again...here we are...

I'm sorry, I know I'm not suppose to laugh at thing s like this. but that was pretty funny. :LMAO:

Actually, the rule is based off of one thing. Is the player in pain, or did he pop right back up? If Tiki didn't come back up after what we thought was a horse collar by roy but in actuality, was not an official horse collar, the penalty may still be called.

Yeah I'm sure thats in the rule book.

It's a tough issue.

Injuries are becoming an increasingly huge problem, and the quarterback is easily the most important player on each team.

How much does it suck when your favorite player or your teams star player is down for the season and completely ruins the season for you?

A QB is very vulnerable standing back there, so I'm all for protecting him if possible. I just don't know if these new rules will do anything at all in that direction.

I played offensive as well as defensive line, so I'm kind of both ways on this. I used to flip out if I saw anyone come near my QB, but on defense I did whatever I could to knock the opposing QB's ass out.

I was a DE in a D-III school and I hated the QB, fuck him and his red fucking shirt.

I don't remember the coaches beating on players throwing chop blocks on the line but if you touched pussy boy...

If the call was based on an INJ (or Pain) thats makes this whole thing that much worse. So if tiki was a good actor we would haave gotten the penalty.

You can call holding on just about every play and PI on just about every other.

The less control the zebras have the more the game stays pure.

I'm not asking for a fist fight but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

Guest CoachLubrano
I was a DE in a D-III school and I hated the QB, fuck him and his red fucking shirt.

I don't remember the coaches beating on players throwing chop blocks on the line but if you touched pussy boy...

Yeah I hear you. When I first started playing football in 10th grade, I was on the JV squad, and we were scrimmaging the varsity over the summer. I was at d-end, and I defeated the block and came around the corner to the varsity QB's backside and lighted him out. I was completely new, so I had no idea that wasn't allowed.

The varsity coach blew the whistle and screamed at me, and my JV coach calls me over in an annoyed voice, pulls me aside, and says, "I like you...oh boy I like you...."

Yeah I hear you. When I first started playing football in 10th grade, I was on the JV squad, and we were scrimmaging the varsity over the summer. I was at d-end, and I defeated the block and came around the corner to the varsity QB's backside and lighted him out. I was completely new, so I had no idea that wasn't allowed.

The varsity coach blew the whistle and screamed at me, and my JV coach calls me over in an annoyed voice, pulls me aside, and says, "I like you...oh boy I like you...."

exactly !!! :rock:

i know there should be rules to try to help players and protect them

from serious injury but for those that have forgotten its a

VIOLENT GAME !!

thats why when we see JACKED UP we love the hits !!

If the game continues this way I might as well watch Fuckin Tennis!! gezzzz... :confused:

If the call was based on an INJ (or Pain) thats makes this whole thing that much worse. So if tiki was a good actor we would haave gotten the penalty.

You can call holding on just about every play and PI on just about every other.

The less control the zebras have the more the game stays pure.

I'm not asking for a fist fight but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

It has seemed the past couple of years or so, the NFL has tried more and more to protect offensive players with flags, fines, etc. So if a tackle is made by a defensive player that appears to be a horsecollar but really isn't according to NFL rules, but the player is down holding his leg in obvious, not acting pain, a flag may be thrown.