SportsWrath

Wright drives in all three runs as Mets top Marlins

Plax 4 Prez

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Wright hit a tying triple in the seventh inning and a sacrifice fly in the ninth, driving in all of New York's runs and giving the Mets a 3-2 victory over the Florida Marlins on Sunday after Dontrelle Willis and Tom Glavine hooked up in a pitchers' duel.

Wright's two-run triple off Willis tied the score at 2, and New York got hitless relief work from Duaner Sanchez and Billy Wagner (1-0).

Josh Willingham had a two-run double for the Marlins in the sixth, putting Willis in position to improve his 8-1 record against the Mets. Let down a bit by his defense, he went eight innings but couldn't hold the lead.

The Mets took both games in a series shortened by Saturday's rainout and moved to 4-1 this season. The young Marlins dropped to 1-4.

Both left-handed starters worked in and out with precision, as the 40-year-old Glavine matched the 24-year-old Willis pitch for pitch.

With the score tied in the ninth, Carlos Beltran drew a leadoff walk from Carlos Martinez (0-1) and went to third on Carlos Delgado's single to right field.

Wright followed with a sacrifice fly to medium right, giving him nine RBI. Beltran scored easily, delighting the sellout crowd of 55,255.

Wagner threw a scoreless ninth for his first win with the Mets.

Glavine didn't give up a hit until Willingham's bloop single with two outs in the fourth. Willingham was thrown out on the play in a rundown between first and second.

Florida put runners at the corners with none out in the fifth, but Glavine induced consecutive popups and then fanned Willis to end the threat.

A 22-game winner last year and the runner-up for the NL Cy Young Award, Willis yielded seven hits. He struck out four and did not walk a batter.

Glavine allowed two runs and five hits in six innings, striking out five and walking two.

Hanley Ramirez led off the sixth with a double and advanced on Jeremy Hermida's sacrifice. After Miguel Cabrera was intentionally walked, Willingham doubled over Beltran in center for a 2-0 lead -- the first runs the Marlins scored for Willis in two starts this season.

He pitched five shutout innings of one-hit ball on opening day in Houston and did not get a decision in a 1-0 loss.

Willis retired 11 straight before Paul Lo Duca and Beltran opened the seventh with singles, and the Mets quickly took advantage of some shaky Florida defense.

Second baseman Dan Uggla bobbled Delgado's groundout, costing him a chance at a double play. Hermida then misplayed Wright's sinking liner to right into a two-run triple that tied the score.

Willis escaped further damage when Uggla made a terrific, backhand play on Victor Diaz's grounder, preventing the go-ahead run from scoring.

Game notes

Willis has a 1.88 ERA in 12 career starts against the Mets. ... New York SS Jose Reyes made an error in the eighth and another in the ninth. ... Willis has been baseball's most dominant April pitcher since arriving in the majors in 2003. He is 8-0 with a 1.82 ERA and three complete games in 12 career starts during the first month of the season. He is the only pitcher since 1960 with at least 10 starts in April to be undefeated in the month. ... Marlins CF Reggie Abercrombie fouled off a suicide squeeze attempt in the fifth, then popped out. ... Glavine is 15-18 in 41 career starts against Florida. He has not beaten the Marlins since April 20, 2003.

I like Wright as much as anyother Mets fan, but the MVP chants in the 5th game of the season are a little pre-mature

It's more of a support thing. Wright will win MVP at least once in his career barring injuries.

Wright set a record for the first Met to have at least 1 RBI in the first 5 games

:clap:

(Gorilla @ Apr 10 2006, 12:31 PM)

I like Wright as much as anyother Mets fan, but the MVP chants in the 5th game of the season are a little pre-mature

It's more like a momentum builder to him, then an actual call for "MVP"... he defiantely will one of the canidates if he continues to perform at the level he has been... IMO he should be in the 2nd spot over Lo Duca, but he gets more RBI's the way they have it set-up now.. so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it

:clap:

It's more like a momentum builder to him, then an actual call for "MVP"... he defiantely will one of the canidates if he continues to perform at the level he has been... IMO he should be in the 2nd spot over Lo Duca, but he gets more RBI's the way they have it set-up now.. so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it

That's what I thought but Lo Duca has been a hell of a #2 batter so far. It's working the way it is now.

That's what I thought but Lo Duca has been a hell of a #2 batter so far. It's working the way it is now.

I think that Wright would be an excellent 3 hitter... He has power, works the count and does not strike out often. He is very good at putting the ball in play. I guess they just dont think that Beltran has the pop for the 5 hole