SportsWrath

Insider take on Giants Needs

lemmiwinks

With Amani Toomer slowing down, the Giants need a receiver to help Plaxico Burress.

TorborOutside linebacker: The jury is still out on whether Reggie Torbor will ever realize his potential. Although he has played well at times, he is inconsistent. The bigger concern is on the strong side. Carlos Emmons, who turns 33 this year, has lost a step and is coming off a season-ending pectoral injury. With unrestricted free agent Nick Greisen wanting to play inside and likely signing with another team, there isn't much depth here either. The Giants need an outside linebacker who has the speed, athletic ability and power to supplant Emmons as the starter. That would allow him to move into a backup role where he would provide quality depth.

Wide receiver: Plaxico Burress' first season with the Giants was the second most productive of his career and he returns as Eli Manning's go-to-receiver. There are concerns about the No. 2, however. Although Amani Toomer runs good routes and doesn't drop many passes, he isn't as explosive as he was earlier in his career and has problems consistently separating from man coverage. There is good depth here but Jamaar Taylor drops too many passes and Tim Carter is too raw to replace Toomer at this point. As a result, the Giants need a receiver who has the size, burst and athletic ability to make an immediate impact.

Defensive tackle: Kendrick Clancy's decision to sign with Arizona makes this a far greater need. Clancy didn't make many big plays, but he was relentless and, more importantly, consistent. Although William Joseph has far more natural ability, he doesn't always play with a mean streak and has yet to realize his potential. Exasperating the loss of Clancy is the fact that Fred Robbins, who has had problems keeping his weight down, tends to wear down over the course of games. The Giants need a defensive tackle who can replace Robbins, allowing him to move into a situational run-stuffing role.

PetitgoutOffensive tackle: Luke Petitgout has avoided becoming a cap casualty, but he will have to compete for a starting job opposite Kareem McKenzie. Although he is a technician who plays with good intensity, Petitgout has been slowed by back pain and is having problems holding up on an island in pass protection. Bob Whitfield and Lewis Kelly provide some depth. However, Whitfield isn't an every-down player at this point of his career and Kelly's lack of strength is reason for concern. The Giants need to add a tackle who can push Petitgout for playing time.

Running back: Few players do as much for a team as Tiki Barber does for the Giants. He is a smart, between-the-tackles runner, has the burst to break long runs and catches the ball extremely well. However, he is undersized and 31 years old. That has to raise concerns about his durability, especially since he gets so many touches. Brandon Jacobs is a powerful short-yardage runner, but he lacks the initial burst of an every-down back. The Giants need to start preparing for life after Barber and improve depth by adding a developmental back who has the tools to replace Barber when the time comes.

Other options: Interior offensive line and cornerback

Guest Carbo

Cliff's Notes version: a team with many holes and glaring needs, in what appears to be the beginning of a long rebuilding process. . .again. . .sigh. . .

Guest Lockhart
Cliff's Notes version: a team with many holes and glaring needs, in what appears to be the beginning of a long rebuilding process. . .again. . .sigh. . .

running back is the most glaring need - Tiki has gone two full seasons without missing a game - how many RBs in the NFL can say that. Jacobs can't be the everydown back, so they had better get someone good to back up Tiki quickly. Without Tiki in 2005, the Giants go 6-10.

Guest Carbo
running back is the most glaring need - Tiki has gone two full seasons without missing a game - how many RBs in the NFL can say that. Jacobs can't be the everydown back, so they had better get someone good to back up Tiki quickly. Without Tiki in 2005, the Giants go 6-10.
You're an optimist. Without Tiki, last year's team sinks to 4-12.

Guest Lockhart

I guess I am a "Glass half-full" kinda guy.

Wait I thought you said out glaring need was - QB, and then TE, and them WR, and then LB, and now Tiki need to be replaced?

Holy shit man, there's no pleasing you, is there?

Tiki

2005 - Tiki 2200+ yards Giants go 11-5 NFC east Champs and Makes the Playoffs - QB Eli Manning

2004 - Tiki 2000+ yards Giants go 6-10 Tied Last in NFC East - QBWarner / Manning

2003 - Tiki 1800+ yards Giants go 4-12 Dead Last NFC East - QB Kerry / Palmer

2002 - Tiki 1900+ yards Giants go 10-6 2nd NFC east and make the Playoffs - QB Kerry Collins

What's the difference between all these years? 2002 Kerry Collins / 2005 Eli Manning

Maybe some one else had a hand in our 11-5 record(There is a reason they call it a team sport)

Oh and by the way

Without Payton the Colts would have been 2 - 14

Without Shaun Alexander Seattle would have been 4 - 12

Without Tom Brady New England would still be the worst team in the NFL

Without Tom Brady the Pats don't win 3 Superbowls.

Without Terry Bradshaw the Steelers don't win 4 Superbowls in the 70's.

Without Michael Jordan the Bulls don't win 6 NBA Championships.

So really...what is your point by saying this?

Tiki

2005 - Tiki 2200+ yards Giants go 11-5 NFC east Champs and Makes the Playoffs - QB Eli Manning

2004 - Tiki 2000+ yards Giants go 6-10 Tied Last in NFC East - QBWarner / Manning

2002 - Tiki 1900+ yards Giants go 10-6 2nd NFC east and make the Playoffs - QB Kerry Collins

What's the difference between all these years? 2002 Kerry Collins / 2005 Eli Manning

Maybe some one else had a hand in our 11-5 record(There is a reason they call it a team sport)

Oh and by the way

Without Payton the Colts would have been 2 - 14

Without Shaun Alexander Seattle would have been 4 - 12

Without Tom Brady New England would still be the worst team in the NFL

haha we seem to think alike in this case...

Guest Carbo
Without Tom Brady the Pats don't win 3 Superbowls.

Without Terry Bradshaw the Steelers don't win 4 Superbowls in the 70's.

Without Michael Jordan the Bulls don't win 6 NBA Championships.

So really...what is your point by saying this?

That as bad as Eli was last year, can you imagine the horrors of his season without Barber carrying the team, and Eli, on his broad shoulders?

haha we seem to think alike in this case...
Thinking like that nitwit is not something to aspire to.

That as bad as Eli was last year, can you imagine the horrors of his season without Barber carrying the team, and Eli, on his broad shoulders?

Thinking like that nitwit is not something to aspire to.

Explain this....Oh you have nothing to say....Thats Ok, go cry your self to sleep :TU:

I'd agree that probabilty dictates that Barber is due for an injury. I hope it never happens and his durabilty remains as good as it is.

On the other hand I'd say that Jacobs IS going to get a shot at being the primary back if and when Barber hangs up his boots. I'd say that Barber just like Marshall Faulk will go into the 3rd down role later in his career and stay with the Giants his entire career.

As soon as Jacobs takes the starting role we need to address this area. Either because Jacobs doesn't do the business or simply because you need a back up to the starter in this area. That will not happen for 1 or 2 years barring inury. I'd expect EA to get a RB in the draft, but not very high and concentrate on other areas for the moment.

I'd agree that probabilty dictates that Barber is due for an injury. I hope it never happens and his durabilty remains as good as it is.

On the other hand I'd say that Jacobs IS going to get a shot at being the primary back if and when Barber hangs up his boots. I'd say that Barber just like Marshall Faulk will go into the 3rd down role later in his career and stay with the Giants his entire career.

As soon as Jacobs takes the starting role we need to address this area. Either because Jacobs doesn't do the business or simply because you need a back up to the starter in this area. That will not happen for 1 or 2 years barring inury. I'd expect EA to get a RB in the draft, but not very high and concentrate on other areas for the moment.

I say: you're a terrible person because you're an "aussie".

I say: you're a terrible person because you're an "aussie".

That's a bit strange, given the topic being discussed.

Still, I'd say EA is happy for the moment at WR and RB. :TU:

Thanks for the feedback though, I'm going to go and do something terrible to the cat now.

That's a bit strange, given the topic being discussed.

Still, I'd say EA is happy for the moment at WR and RB. :TU:

Thanks for the feedback though, I'm going to go and do something terrible to the cat now.

RB yes, But I dont think he is at all happy with the WR spot...He did try and get Meshawn to replace Toomer.

I'm going to go and do something terrible to the cat now

:o Leave that cats but hole alone :P

Regarding RB, if Tiki were to go down it would be a killer but I dont think it would be the most devestating injury to this team. I think we actually experienced that one last year when Antonio Pierce went down. If Tiki were to get injured, Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward would split the RB duties. I actually think that those two could provide a pretty solid running game. As we saw in preseason, Jacobs might be quick enough to turn the corner and isn't necessarily going to be only a third down back. He can pound the defenses and then let Ward run by then. Granted, those two can't replace what Tiki brings to the table every game but I think they can give us enough to allow us to win any given sunday.

Regarding RB, if Tiki were to go down it would be a killer but I dont think it would be the most devestating injury to this team. I think we actually experienced that one last year when Antonio Pierce went down. If Tiki were to get injured, Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward would split the RB duties. I actually think that those two could provide a pretty solid running game. As we saw in preseason, Jacobs might be quick enough to turn the corner and isn't necessarily going to be only a third down back. He can pound the defenses and then let Ward run by then. Granted, those two can't replace what Tiki brings to the table every game but I think they can give us enough to allow us to win any given sunday.

I disagree. There is not one person on this roster that means as much as Tiki, its not even close. We lose him we are screwed no matter who is trying to fill his shoes. I like Jacobs and Ward a lot but they arent ready to contribute like Tiki does and Eli isnt ready to take the full load. We lose Tiki, we are a easy lock for a top 10 pick next season.