SportsWrath

Javier back to the Yanks?

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

Pitching makes a team and the Yanks were at least one arm short. Vazquez is an inning eater and gets more wins than losses making him the perfect 4th starter.

I'd love to see the Yanks still pick up Sheets and I believe they still need to go for a big bat to put behind Tex in the 5th hole.

Vasquez didn't have the fortitude to pitch in NY before. Did he suddenly grow a set? This trade is like the old days when we acquired Whitson and that other putz from the NL in the 80's after one decent season.

I'm glad to see Dunn go, but I'll miss Melky's defense.

Vasquez didn't have the fortitude to pitch in NY before. Did he suddenly grow a set? This trade is like the old days when we acquired Whitson and that other putz from the NL in the 80's after one decent season.

I'm glad to see Dunn go, but I'll miss Melky's defense.

thats not true at all...Vaz was 10-5 with an ERA barely over 3 for his first 3 1/2 months as a yankees. He hurt his shoulder and had a really bad case of pink eye and should have sat, but Torre kept running him out there becuase Brown and Mussina were hurt. He is a solid pitcher, not an ace, but a solid pitcher and he is being asked to be the yankees 4th starter not their ace. Name another team that has a 4th starter that will give them 200

innings and 200+ strike outs. This deal is awesome.

thats not true at all...Vaz was 10-5 with an ERA barely over 3 for his first 3 1/2 months as a yankees. He hurt his shoulder and had a really bad case of pink eye and should have sat, but Torre kept running him out there becuase Brown and Mussina were hurt. He is a solid pitcher, not an ace, but a solid pitcher and he is being asked to be the yankees 4th starter not their ace. Name another team that has a 4th starter that will give them 200

innings and 200+ strike outs. This deal is awful.

I don't remember a sore arm, but I do the pink eye and the fact that he became unglued after a couple of losses mid season. Come to think of it, it might have taken Posada that long to turn him into a basket case.

I don't get why the Yanks are bringing back older players. :confused:

That's easy to figure out. It's hard to find quality pitching period. And trying to stay within a budget makes it even harder. Left fielders with Melky's resume are a dime a dozen and aren't that expensive....and younger outfielder's still haven't found their ceiling. Melky found his ceiling and it was average (and he should be grateful the Yankees let him find his ceiling on their dime - they were very patient). Pitching on the other hand, is very, very tough to find....especially at a reasonable price.

Not only that, the Yankees never wanted to let Vazquez get away, but Arizona demanded him in exchange for Randy Johnson to fulfill a lifelong dream of George Steinbrenner.

Even though Vazquez broke down at the end of the year (2004), the yankee brass thought so highly of Vazquez that they tried to trade back for him from Arizona in 2005, and then again in 2008 from Chicago White Sox....but they could never put together a good enough package to get him back.

This deal is such a no-brainer as to be silly.