SportsWrath

Corey Webster And Santana Moss Both Fined $5,000 For Week 1 Fight

Mr. P

large_webster91809.jpg

NY Giants cornerback Corey Webster and Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss both fined $5,000 for Week 1 fight

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday September 18, 2009, 2:40 PM

Matt Rainey/The Star-Ledger

Giants cornerback Corey Webster and Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss were both fined $5,000 each for getting into an on-field scuffle during the season opener this past Sunday, an NFL spokesman said Friday.

For Webster, normally a cool-headed player, the fight appeared to be a bit out of character.

"No, I've been in altercations before," he said with a grin. "I didn't know the reason (Moss started the fight), though. At all. I was trying to play football and get my hands on him. And the next thing you know, we were shoving."

The official reason for the fines was stated as "striking his opponent in the head area." Also, Redskins safety LaRon Landry was fined $5,000 as well for hitting Brandon Jacobs late and out of bounds.

Webster must have known the fines were coming. But he also believed he was going to get tossed by the officials.

"It just went for so long, so I figured something was going to happen," he said, then added with a laugh: "But I was cool with the offsetting penalties."

Coach Tom Coughlin was also surprisingly cool when he talked to Webster on the sideline after the scuffle.

"He just told me, 'I saw what happened over there. Try to stay away from it, but I understood,'" Webster said.

That wasn't the last of the discussions for Webster, who's had to hear about the fight all week long, despite a tremendous interception that should have been the highlight of the game for him.

"Nobody knew about the pick or nothing like that," Webster said. "(All he heard was), 'What were you fighting for?' I got a lot of questions about the fight. But me and (Moss) shook hands. We'll be competing the next time we see each other and still do the same thing: shake hands and move forward."

Webster and Moss were caught by FOX cameras smoothing the situation over during the third quarter. Webster said they also chatted after the game with the brother of Giants receiver Sinorice Moss.

"Me and Sinorice, we live in the same area," Webster said. "We're good friends and his brother knows that."

Webster has also been friends with a former Giants receiver: Amani Toomer, who called to congratulate him on an interception that looked like so many of his toe-tapping sideline catches.

"He said, 'Great play,'" Webster recalled. "But everybody talked about the fight, so he also had something to say about that, too."

Source: The Star-Ledger