SportsWrath

depth chart

Mr. P

Im happy. Nicks is the 3rd WR if im reading that correctly. Cool. :cool:

my line of thinking is that manningham right now is the 3rd, because it shows him backing up smiths spot, and they talk about smith moving to the slot in 3 wr sets, so theyd put manningham into what is normally smiths spot.

if that makes sense.

my line of thinking is that manningham right now is the 3rd, because it shows him backing up smiths spot, and they talk about smith moving to the slot in 3 wr sets, so theyd put manningham into what is normally smiths spot.

if that makes sense.

OK, I dont really know how to read depth charts that specifically. I thought it went back and forth, Hixon 1, Smith, 2, Nicks 3, Manningham 4t, etc....I read it that way. But what you say makes sense.

Oh, and Nicks did change his #, and Feagles went back to #18. There was a link somewhere, I'll try and find it.

if that makes sense.

It doesn't. It reads Hixon, Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Moss, Hagan.

NY Giants announce final roster and trade of tight end Michael Matthews to Patriots

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Saturday September 05, 2009, 6:28 PM

Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger

Tight end Michael Matthews, who had been told earlier in the day he would be released, was instead traded to the Patriots for a conditional 2011 draft pick.

If you followed the cuts here today as they trickled in, the Giants' final roster will be of no surprise to you. It's listed below, as the team has confirmed its final cuts.

What will be surprising is how tight end Michael Matthews was let go.

Matthews, who played in every game for the Giants since signing as an rookie free agent in 2007, was traded to the Patriots for a conditional 2011 draft choice. No word yet on the conditions of the pick.

Matthews was told earlier today he had been released. The Giants might have already worked out the trade with New England at the time.

"I didn't take it too hard. Probably my wife took it harder than me," Matthews said by phone. "But we know that's the nature of the business we're getting ourselves into. I didn't get too bummed out."

It's no shock Matthews landed in New England because the Patriots were the other team he was considering joining when he went undrafted out of Georgia Tech.

Matthews, a 6-4, 270-pounder who served mostly as a blocking tight end, had eight catches in two seasons with the Giants. He said he will miss the team.

"I loved the Giants, man," he said. "I loved the organization. The time I was there, everyone was very supportive of me. The fans are awesome. I appreciate everything the guys did for me there. I love all the players still. I'll still talk to a bunch of them because I made some solid friendships. I loved my whole time there."

Now, before we get to the roster, here are a few comments from David Tyree, Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese - courtesy of the Giants - on the release of Tyree.

"It's obviously a time of mixed feelings," Tyree said. "This is part of the journey. It's not like it's a great day. But at the same time I'm filled with expectations about what's next on this track, and I'm excited, as well. ... You get the call and obviously you have the inclination of what you're going to hear. It's not like I wasn't prepared or knew it wasn't a possibility. It kind of simplifies things for me and causes me to rejoice in the years that I've had here."

"David Tyree is such a class act," coach Tom Coughlin said. "What a great guy he is. When he came in to see me, I had a lot of emotions running through my head. He put everything at ease, he had a big smile on his face. I told David he is forever etched in the annals of New York Giants history. That will never change. That moment in history will stand forever in time."

"This is one of the hardest days of the year for players and personnel departments," said general manager Jerry Reese. "It becomes extremely hard when you have to say goodbye to players like David Tyree and Michael Matthews who have given you their very best and helped you win a championship."

For more from Tyree, Coughlin and Reese, see the Giants' press release here.

Here's the roster, exactly as we laid it out earlier:

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson, Travis Beckum

OL (10): Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe, Tutan Reyes, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets, Will Beatty

DL (9): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Mathias Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Dave Tollefson, Leger Douzable

LB (8): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, Gerris Wilkinson, Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl

DB (8): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Michael Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Kevin Dockery, Terrell Thomas, C.C. Brown, Bruce Johnson

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

LB Michael Boley is suspended for the regular-season opener. He's eligible to return to the active roster on Sept. 14 - the day after the game against the Redskins.

And finally, jersey number changes. (Here's hoping you didn't buy a Nicks jersey yet):

Nicks: 18 to Matthews' 88, which he wore in college

Feagles: 17 back to 18

Douzable:78 to DE Robert Henderson's 90 (Good move)

Link

Link

And finally, jersey number changes. (Here's hoping you didn't buy a Nicks jersey yet):

Nicks: 18 to Matthews' 88, which he wore in college

Feagles: 17 back to 18

Douzable:78 to DE Robert Henderson's 90 (Good move)

I never liked how the NFL allowed Receivers to go to the teens . Teens should be reserved for QB's and Kickers