SportsWrath

Couple of good safeties cut...

Allstarjim

I know Reese is on top of things, but there are a couple of quality safeties that could provide needed depth at the position. The Giants are a safety short with only 3 on the 53 man roster. Bryan Russell was cut by the Seahawks, and Bernard Pollard was cut by the Chiefs. Both guys have a lot of game experience and have been starters. Pollard had over 90 tackles last season.

I know Reese is on top of things, but there are a couple of quality safeties that could provide needed depth at the position. The Giants are a safety short with only 3 on the 53 man roster. Bryan Russell was cut by the Seahawks, and Bernard Pollard was cut by the Chiefs. Both guys have a lot of game experience and have been starters. Pollard had over 90 tackles last season.

Not good signs that either one got cut. Russell was okay but if he couldn't stay on in Seattle then something must be wrong.

Not good signs that either one got cut. Russell was okay but if he couldn't stay on in Seattle then something must be wrong.

According to ESPN's NFC West blogger Mike Sando, Russell appeared to beat Jordan Babineaux for the job, but was released anway... I think they just want to get younger there. He said it was a surprise cut. Found this article by Sando on ESPN.com:

Russell's release shows faith in 'Babs'

September 5, 2009 5:58 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Seahawks' decision Saturday to release starting free safety Brian Russell shows strong faith in Jordan Babineaux's playmaking ability as more than just a situational player.

I would expect Babineaux to project as the starter even if the team signs a veteran such as Lawyer Milloy, who played for Seahawks coach Jim Mora in Atlanta. That is my take pending official word from the team. If the team replaces Russell with another older player, what's the point? Babineaux's young legs seem to demand playing time with Russell out.

The move to Babineaux would be exciting for Seattle because his athletic ability offers the potential for more interceptions. The big question, in my view, is whether Babineaux can transfer his playmaking ability from a situational role to a full-time one. Some defensive players -- ex-Seahawk Michael Boulware comes to mind -- made plays in a limited role before failing to show consistency as an every-down player.

Babineaux earned the nickname "Big Play Babs" after making several heads-up plays in critical situations, all off the bench. He tackled Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo following Romo's infamous botched field-goal hold in the playoffs a few years ago, preserving a Seattle victory. Babineaux also picked off former Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe in the final seconds of a regular-season game, returning the ball far enough to set up the winning field goal. Those were among the examples of his big-play ability.

Russell provided what the Seahawks asked him to provide when they signed him two years ago: assignment-correct football designed to prevent big plays by the opposition. Switching to Babineaux suggests the Seahawks might be more concerned with making their own big plays than simply preventing their opponents from making them.

LINK

• 11 months later...

Found this gem from Sep 6th, 2009. I think I should apply to work in Reese's office! ;)

I thought we're pretty set at Safety. What am I missing?

:doh:

It's from 2009, Nas. Since BigBlue made a new prediction thread, I'm pulling a couple of last year's prediction threads back to see how we did. I found this one in my search, and because it made me look like I know what I'm talking about, I bumped it. :D

:doh:

It's from 2009, Nas. Since BigBlue made a new prediction thread, I'm pulling a couple of last year's prediction threads back to see how we did. I found this one in my search, and because it made me look like I know what I'm talking about, I bumped it. :D

This should be illegal :rules: