SportsWrath

What's up with Girardi and Hughes?

Ditto

1 inning here, 1 inning there, twice in a row, 1/3 of an inning. There's no way a young dude can stay useful like that. It's like Girardi's pissed because Hughes wouldn't go back down when given the choice.

Im not sure where you heard that hughes had a choice to go to aaa or not, but I can guarantee you its 100% false. players dont make that decision, especially 22 year old players.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the way Hughes is being used. Hughes has been an important piece to the pen’s revitalization. But his actual impact on games is, unfortunately, much, much less than is frequently perceived. … There’s this die-hard belief that the 8th inning is spectacularly important and difficult to pitch, so a disproportionate amount of credit for the revitalization of the pen is given to stabilizing the set up role, etc. The pen is better now primarily because the starters given them length.

The “set-up guy” is perhaps the 15th or 16th most important player on a well-balanced team. Every player in the lineup, the five starters and the closer impact the game more.

The bottom line is this: good starters are very difficult to obtain or develop. Pitchers who can throw in the 8th inning are much, much easier to find. It would be a ridiculous waste of money, effort and talent to use Joba or Phil in that role. The Yankees realize that.

Phil will be standing in the bullpen next to A.J., CC, Joba and Andy on the first day of spring training next year. He’s a starter who, for now, was needed in the bullpen.

Trust me, he was given the choice to go back to the minors and start, or stay and work out of he pen.

Phil will be standing in the bullpen next to A.J., CC, Joba and Andy on the first day of spring training next year. He’s a starter who, for now, was needed in the bullpen.

Yep, and because he's used so sparingly now, he'll be subject to a pitch count limit next year. It's all BS because he's really not needed in the pen. A set up guy! What is that? Next thing you know, we'll have a set up guy for the set up guy.

Trust me, he was given the choice to go back to the minors and start, or stay and work out of he pen.

Yep, and because he's used so sparingly now, he'll be subject to a pitch count limit next year. It's all BS because he's really not needed in the pen. A set up guy! What is that? Next thing you know, we'll have a set up guy for the set up guy.

he's going to be the teams fifth starter next year and he will be able to throw 180 innings. Phil Hughes is not like Joba Chamberlain...Phil was drafted out of high school, spent almost 4 years in the minors, not to mention the innings he's thrown in the majors and in the arizona fall league and winter ball over the years. He has thrown over 500 innings in his professional career. He will not be handled like Joba, he is much more seasoned as a professional.

Um.....no?

Scout's honor? I don't know what you heard, but it was discussed during one of the games or pregames just before they moved Wang back into the rotation. I may be legally deaf, but I'd bet a 6 of Bud on it.