SportsWrath

Edwards wants to stay with Browns

Nas

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-10-96...ith-Browns.html

Edwards wants to stay with Browns

May 22, 2009 12:59 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

So we spent all that time obsessing about Braylon Edwards playing for the New York Giants or Philadelphia Eagles -- and we get this? In an offseason full of blockbusters (T.O., Cutler, Plax), the Edwards saga has pretty much fizzled out. It would probably take a major injury in another camp to fire up the trade talks again.

The Eagles and Giants both took wide receivers in the first round, so it's unlikely they'll make a play for Edwards at this point. And now it turns out Edwards never (wink wink) wanted out of Cleveland in the first place. In theory, we've been trained to distrust anyone who doesn't want out of Cleveland, but perhaps Edwards is the exception.

"I didn't get excited [about the rumors]," Edwards said, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "One, they were rumors and there was nothing to hold on to. And two, I felt like if I would have left Cleveland for any reason, I would have left with a bad taste in my mouth."

That last sentence seems redundant, but we get the picture. Edwards apparently realizes the trade's not happening at this point, so he's trying to make things less awkward with his teammates. The lesson in all of this is that it's better to be a disgruntled left tackle (Jason Peters) or quarterback (Jay Cutler) than a wide receiver (Edwards, Chad Ochocinco, Anquan Boldin).

I think Edwards would've been a better fit with the Giants than the Eagles. And I think it's the other way around for Anquan Boldin. In reality, teams were amazed with what Detroit was able to get from the Cowboys in the Roy Williams deal.

And that became the jumping-off point for Edwards and Boldin's reps. Only one man, though, was willing to pay that price -- and he lives in Dallas.

Let's be fair, Edwards never really actively shopped himself, nowhere near the levels that some other players do. The Browns were more interested to see what he was worth. Hqwever it's going to seem like he wanted out of town and now he has to do damage control.

Let's be fair, Edwards never really actively shopped himself, nowhere near the levels that some other players do. The Browns were more interested to see what he was worth. Hqwever it's going to seem like he wanted out of town and now he has to do damage control.

What he did was bad mouth the people of Cleveland saying they hate him because he is from Michigan. His former teammate Kellen Winslow going on some radio show in Tampa saying Edwards wanted to be a Giant did not bode well either.

What he did was bad mouth the people of Cleveland saying they hate him because he is from Michigan. His former teammate Kellen Winslow going on some radio show in Tampa saying Edwards wanted to be a Giant did not bode well either.

Fair enough, but there are people in Cleveland who flat out hate Michigan players, so he's not far from telling the truth there and Kellen Winslow talking in general is bad news for the world, he's such a moron.

I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, there wasn't a full fledged assault by Edwards to get himself traded out of Cleveland, maybe becuase he thought it was inevitable, but it certainly wasn't as diva as something TO might have pulled.

Fair enough, but there are people in Cleveland who flat out hate Michigan players, so he's not far from telling the truth there and Kellen Winslow talking in general is bad news for the world, he's such a moron.

I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, there wasn't a full fledged assault by Edwards to get himself traded out of Cleveland, maybe becuase he thought it was inevitable, but it certainly wasn't as diva as something TO might have pulled.

No he certainly was not TO, Ocho Stinko, or even Boldin for that matter