SportsWrath

Can the economy effect the draft?

Allstarjim

Top draft picks are major financial commitments. Do you guys think the economy will affect teams wanting to sit in their draft position or not? I'm wondering if there will be several teams actively looking to trade down to save money. If so, this could work in the Giants favor.

I would say so to a minor extent...but I think the bulk of the money comes from the TV contracts to the league as a whole and they share equally in that revenue.

Yeah, but in that case then the NFL should be hurting, because a lot of companies have had to cut back on advertising and I wouldn't be surprised if the networks aren't taking less money for ad time. Unless the contract with the networks is guaranteed.

Sports economy and our economy are two different things, teams don't worry about Joe Smoe at home unemployed sitting on his rear and as long has fans keep going to the stadium no teams have any financial worries. The only "sport" effected by the economy is NASCAR nobody goes to the races and all nascar teams are self funded, plus they are not making automobiles for working regular working folks why would they make them for race teams.

Sports economy and our economy are two different things, teams don't worry about Joe Smoe at home unemployed sitting on his rear and as long has fans keep going to the stadium no teams have any financial worries. The only "sport" effected by the economy is NASCAR nobody goes to the races and all nascar teams are self funded, plus they are not making automobiles for working regular working folks why would they make them for race teams.

That's just not true, Bigblue. Baseball has been impacted as owner's do not expect as many fannies in seats this upcoming season. Hence, most teams have been conservative in spending and most free agents are not getting the contracts they would've gotten 2 years ago. Look at quality lefty relievers like Joe Beimel and Will Ohman. There is no way they would still be on the market like they are. And no way does it take this long for Manny to sign. Abreu had to take a lot less money than he expected, and I can name more than several others. The economy matters in the sports world, because Joe Smoe doesn't have as much discretionary income... you think they are worried about going to ball games or buying jerseys? A lot of them are just trying to get a job.

Yeah, but in that case then the NFL should be hurting, because a lot of companies have had to cut back on advertising and I wouldn't be surprised if the networks aren't taking less money for ad time. Unless the contract with the networks is guaranteed.

I believe its guaranteed Allstar. Not sure though.

That's just not true, Bigblue. Baseball has been impacted as owner's do not expect as many fannies in seats this upcoming season. Hence, most teams have been conservative in spending and most free agents are not getting the contracts they would've gotten 2 years ago. Look at quality lefty relievers like Joe Beimel and Will Ohman. There is no way they would still be on the market like they are. And no way does it take this long for Manny to sign. Abreu had to take a lot less money than he expected, and I can name more than several others. The economy matters in the sports world, because Joe Smoe doesn't have as much discretionary income... you think they are worried about going to ball games or buying jerseys? A lot of them are just trying to get a job.

I forget about baseball since its about has irrelavent has golf unless your NY,Boston or Chicago nobody cares, that explains why the Yankees are able to get Sabathia,Tex,Burnett and anybody else they freaking want cause they bring in the most revenue people still go to Yankee stadium one way or the other, i do think though baseball needs contraction it should be like a 12 team league.

I doubt it. If good old common sense has had no impact, I'd wonder how can the economy. Organizations are still looking at this as some kind of investment that may have higher returns in the future. Nobody seems to be willing to restructure how these NFL draftees get paid.