SportsWrath

sounding like rocky might be a giant soon

Mr. P

Source: New York Giants' talks with defensive tackle Rocky Bernard "heating up"

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Saturday February 28, 2009, 6:50 PM

Jeff Gross/Getty ImagesOne thing's for sure: Bernard would have a better uniform if he jumps from Seattle to the Giants.

No sooner did I post in my last entry that there's buzz around the league DT Rocky Bernard is going to sign with the Giants than another source told me talks with the team are "heating up." Sounds like Bernard will be a Giant within a few minutes or hours here.

This potential signing would add the kind of depth the Giants would like in a rotation with Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield - both of whom are coming off knee surgeries.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/02...ts_talks_w.html

NFL network just said we may sign both Bernard and Canty, as they are both still in New York. :evilgrin:

signing both would be crazy

ive been reading that we'd switch canty to DT so then we would go from last season having 3DTs to having 5 this season

signing both would be crazy

ive been reading that we'd switch canty to DT so then we would go from last season having 3DTs to having 5 this season

Or if we did sign both, would Kiwi be trade bait for a certain WR...things to think about.

Or if we did sign both, would Kiwi be trade bait for a certain WR...things to think about.

certainly possible, he is in the last year of his contract and probably wont resign with us to be a backup.

Yo, Rocky! Giants and Bernard working on deal

I don’t think anybody’s waiting this long for Rocky since Clubber Lang.

Still, much like Mr. T, the Giants could eventually get their man. Defensive tackle Rocky Bernard is still officially on his visit with the team (either at the stadium, or somewhere in the area) and he’s not sticking around for nothing. According to a source familiar with the situation, the two sides are attempting to hammer out a deal on a contract.

It’s not clear exactly why it’s taking so long, but I’m told there has been considerable progress and there’s the possibility that something could be done soon (Warning: I’ve heard that before at various points during the day). And just in case things don’t work out, Cowboys DE Chris Canty has arrived for his visit and is on deck.

Canty, though, could very likely be left at the altar for the second time in two days. He was all set to visit the Washington Redskins on Friday, complete with a full itinerary that would’ve had him attending the Washington Wizards game that night (with Barack Obama … not with him, exactly, but they both would’ve been there). Then, when the Redskins signed Albert Haynesworth at 5:30 a.m. on Friday, Dan Snyder cancelled Canty’s trip.

Now, if Bernard signs, Canty will likely be out of luck with the Giants, too. Another source familiar with the Giants plans said the outcome of Canty’s visit appears tied to the Bernard negotiations. In other words, if Bernard strikes a deal, Canty gets to go home. If Bernard doesn’t strike a deal, negotiations with Canty will heat up before he heads for a scheduled visit with the Seahawks on Monday.

The Giants are not believed to be interested in signing both.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...bernard-wo.html