SportsWrath

Outfield Need

Lubeck

Let me put my boots on, cause the bullshit is getting thick.

Defensive liablility who has known to have a... how do I say this diplomatically... "laid-back" approach to defense and running the bases. For $30 million on a one year deal? Can you say "clubhouse cancer"? Think any other Mets may resent that in the lockerroom, for a guy who does not work hard on a team that has had their heart questioned? We need motivated players who want to win, not lackadaisical ego-maniacs that beat to their own drum. Especially since that ego-maniac wants a ridiculous amount of money just to hit and said player will be 37 years old before June 1st. He will not improve, and even if we were fortunate enough to have him maintain his production, it would be at too high of a cost for a guy that doesn't run well even when he feels like it.

Yes, he can flat out hit a baseball. But no thanks, I'll take a guy that hustles and is hungry over a over-paid, whiny, egotistical, non-defense playing, clubhouse cancer with power.

I used to go down to the parks and play basketball when I was younger. I'm just a 5'10" white guy. I'd go up against 6'0" and above athletic black dudes (and other races, too) who thought they would just step on the court and beat me. And you know what happened? I would win. Why? Because I raced for every loose ball, every rebound I could get, used all my 170 lbs to box out, and bottom line, I just wanted it more.

Winning is a mentality. If I was Omar, I would tell the Wilpons, let's save your $25 million dollars and get us some players who are hungry and ready to work to win.

I have absolutely ZERO qualms with a platoon LF of Tatis and Murphy. People don't like platoons because no one guy is going to put up big numbers, thereby making it more difficult to see what you are really getting out of the position. But Tatis is an excellent hitter against lefties, has power, and Murphy has shown a patience at the plate and an aptitude to hit line drives all over the field. I would not be surprised to see a .315 BA with 20 Homeruns and 100 RBI's or more from that platoon next year, if they both stay healthy. This is about molding a team, not signing a flashy name with big numbers to come in and not give his all despite being paid the most of any player on the roster.

Defensive liablility who has known to have a... how do I say this diplomatically... "laid-back" approach to defense and running the bases. For $30 million on a one year deal? Can you say "clubhouse cancer"? Think any other Mets may resent that in the lockerroom, for a guy who does not work hard on a team that has had their heart questioned? We need motivated players who want to win, not lackadaisical ego-maniacs that beat to their own drum. Especially since that ego-maniac wants a ridiculous amount of money just to hit and said player will be 37 years old before June 1st. He will not improve, and even if we were fortunate enough to have him maintain his production, it would be at too high of a cost for a guy that doesn't run well even when he feels like it.

Yes, he can flat out hit a baseball. But no thanks, I'll take a guy that hustles and is hungry over a over-paid, whiny, egotistical, non-defense playing, clubhouse cancer with power.

Winning is a mentality. If I was Omar, I would tell the Wilpons, let's save your $25 million dollars and get us some players who are hungry and ready to work to win.

I have absolutely ZERO qualms with a platoon LF of Tatis and Murphy. People don't like platoons because no one guy is going to put up big numbers, thereby making it more difficult to see what you are really getting out of the position. But Tatis is an excellent hitter against lefties, has power, and Murphy has shown a patience at the plate and an aptitude to hit line drives all over the field. I would not be surprised to see a .315 BA with 20 Homeruns and 100 RBI's or more from that platoon next year, if they both stay healthy. This is about molding a team, not signing a flashy name with big numbers to come in and not give his all despite being paid the most of any player on the roster.

Resentment in the Mets locker room?!?! HAHAH you're joking, right? This is the same team

that employed players that'd show up 1 hour before the game started! Pedro and El Duque

were the biggest culprits.

Manny is what this team needs, a clear power hitter with a ton of respect. He'd single handly

bring this team to the division title and that'd be a guarantee. He'd make everyone play looser

with having him as clean up hitter.

Manny could DOUBLE that. It's no crazy to think he'd hit 35-40 homers with 140 or 150 RBIs.

Please Jim, spare us the fucking bullshit. This Mets team in 2009 is not very good aside from the

left side of the infield, Johan, Pelfrey and the two studs in the bullpen that's it. This is an 83 win team,

that's it.

Oh and you want Omar to spend money on "gritty players, who hustle and take charge?" yeah

how'd that work out on Luis Castillo?

And might I add that he and Boras will never agree to a 1 year deal anyhow.

boras thought taking the dodgers to the playoffs would land him a 4 year deal. what it did was show everyone that manny needs yearly motivation. there may be some owner who folds but so far he's seeing no market for the 4 years he promised his player.

Resentment in the Mets locker room?!?! HAHAH you're joking, right? This is the same team

that employed players that'd show up 1 hour before the game started! Pedro and El Duque

were the biggest culprits.

Manny is what this team needs, a clear power hitter with a ton of respect. He'd single handly

bring this team to the division title and that'd be a guarantee. He'd make everyone play looser

with having him as clean up hitter.

Manny could DOUBLE that. It's no crazy to think he'd hit 35-40 homers with 140 or 150 RBIs.

Please Jim, spare us the fucking bullshit. This Mets team in 2009 is not very good aside from the

left side of the infield, Johan, Pelfrey and the two studs in the bullpen that's it. This is an 83 win team,

that's it.

Oh and you want Omar to spend money on "gritty players, who hustle and take charge?" yeah

how'd that work out on Luis Castillo?

Seriously... you're coming back with Luis Castillo?

If your point is that we should have players that have TALENT, I agree. Evaluating talent should not be made soley on what a guy does with a stick.

You are seriously saying that the Mets should sign a guy to a multiyear deal that pays him around $25 million per year who will be 37 before June 1st, can't run well even when he feels like it (which is hit and miss), and has a cavalier attitude towards defense?

Because that does not guarantee a division title. No matter what anyone thinks, an aging player like Man-Ram does not guarantee anything. The only thing that it guarantees is that you will spend $25 million dollars, cross your fingers while being hamstrung in making other moves midseason or otherwise.

I'm not so far out in left-field on this one... because as of this writing... MANNY HAS NO JOB IN MLB. If he was such hot shit and worth all that money, there'd at least be a bidding war for him. But the only teams that have shown interest will only take him for low ball offers.

You guys have the NY mentality. You only are interested in the big flashy names. Here I am down in FL and I see guys with talent that just need a shot... but if they aren't HOF'ers then Omar is an idiot for giving them a shot.

If you want to make silly comparisons, I have one for you. Man-Ram's signing, by the contract's conclusion, would fall under the same qualification of signings as Bobby Bonilla, Mo Vaughn, and Roberto Alomar.

It's a panic move that is not only unnecessary but reckless. How many more RBI's do you think Manny would have to have to make up for the ones he gave up because he let a ball go by him in LF, or because he hit a "off the top of the wall" single?

You guys may think I wear rose-colored glasses about these Mets... but I say you have rose-colored glasses about Manny. The grass is always greener, right?

Before you say something like, "I just want them to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal..." just remember that is not even plausible... he won't consider such a deal because he's trying to CASH IN ONE LAST TIME before that 37 year old body starts to break down. His agent isn't stupid.

But it's amazing that you think Beltran isn't good, Maine isn't good, Delgado isn't good, Murphy isn't good... shit... even Schneider is better than most catchers in the NL. He's no all-star but he's better than average. But all you guys see are holes. Yes, Castillo blows. But this team has a good mix of young guys and veterans, and you can doubt them all the way to the pennant.

If you want a player in LF that I'd like the Mets to go after to shore up the outfield... then I would say try to trade for Xavier Nady. That is a player that makes sense for the Mets. Manny does not make sense now, and he sure as hell doesn't make sense for the following several seasons.

boras thought taking the dodgers to the playoffs would land him a 4 year deal. what it did was show everyone that manny needs yearly motivation. there may be some owner who folds but so far he's seeing no market for the 4 years he promised his player.

The Giants or the Dodgers will give him more than 1 year. It might not be for the amount Manny wants, but he'll get it. Probably with the Dodgers.

The Giants or the Dodgers will give him more than 1 year. It might not be for the amount Manny wants, but he'll get it. Probably with the Dodgers.

dodgers haven't offered more than 2- giants aren't serious, just dickin with the dodgers.

2 years at 30 million.

And yes, the Mets would win the NL East with Ramirez.

Because that does not guarantee a division title. No matter what anyone thinks, an aging player like Man-Ram does not guarantee anything.

The Dodgers were around .500 when they landed Ramirez, didn't they win

the division. Jim you ALREADY HAVE the Mets winning the division and that's not based on anything!!!

If you want to make silly comparisons, I have one for you. Man-Ram's signing, by the contract's conclusion, would fall under the same qualification of signings as Bobby Bonilla, Mo Vaughn, and Roberto Alomar

Except, unlike those 3...Manny would actually perform.

Yeah, we might have the NY way of thinking (which makes sense, cause well...I live in NYC) but signing

Manny would be a GREAT move and it makes sense. Brand new ballpark, revamped bullpen, new manager,

you have a fresh start. Sign Manny, he's the shot in the arm this team needs.

Find where I said Beltran isn't good? You can't...cause I never said it.

Find where I've said Maine sucks and isn't good. You can't...because I've never said it.

I have said a bunch of times that Delgado does suck. Which Delgado will the Mets

see this year? The one that carried the team during the 2nd half or the one that couldn't

hit the broad side of a barn in the 1st half. Your quick to judge on Manny for being "old,

and a 37 year old body WILL break down."

Delgado turns 37 in June, but he's fine. But I guess his body won't break down at all. :unsure:

I can doubt them all the way to the pennant because they aren't winning the pennant this year.

I can see either the Cubbies or the Phillies doing it again.

2 years at 30 million.

And yes, the Mets would win the NL East with Ramirez.

The Dodgers were around .500 when they landed Ramirez, didn't they win

the division. Jim you ALREADY HAVE the Mets winning the division and that's not based on anything!!!

Except, unlike those 3...Manny would actually perform.

Yeah, we might have the NY way of thinking (which makes sense, cause well...I live in NYC) but signing

Manny would be a GREAT move and it makes sense. Brand new ballpark, revamped bullpen, new manager,

you have a fresh start. Sign Manny, he's the shot in the arm this team needs.

Find where I said Beltran isn't good? You can't...cause I never said it.

Find where I've said Maine sucks and isn't good. You can't...because I've never said it.

I have said a bunch of times that Delgado does suck. Which Delgado will the Mets

see this year? The one that carried the team during the 2nd half or the one that couldn't

hit the broad side of a barn in the 1st half. Your quick to judge on Manny for being "old,

and a 37 year old body WILL break down."

Delgado turns 37 in June, but he's fine. But I guess his body won't break down at all. :unsure:

I can doubt them all the way to the pennant because they aren't winning the pennant this year.

I can see either the Cubbies or the Phillies doing it again.

This Mets team in 2009 is not very good aside from the

left side of the infield, Johan, Pelfrey and the two studs in the bullpen that's it.

Okay. You got me on one thing.

I'm glad you did.

Now try and dispute what I said about Delgado.

Your quick to shit on Manny, but Delgado is the same age! And he's a wild

card as they come. He can't play defense, can't run for shit and he's rumored

to have divided the locker room last season.

Yeah, but Manny is worse because he doesn't run out a ground ball to the short stop.

I'd gladly take Manny and his antics for 1 or 2 years, and it will translate to wins. He's been

a winner every where he went.

2 years at 30 million PER? Because the best he's been offered is 2 years at 45 million TOTAL (with an option for a 3rd).

Delgado is a concern. But he will probably give us 25 Hrs and 90 RBI's, and I can live with that. Anything more is a bonus. Which is why I would advocate a guy like Xavier Nady... or even Wigginton... as a hedge against Delgado.

The Phillies have regressed. The Mets have gotten a lot better already and you just can't see it. When Ollie signs he solidifies a very good rotation.

Am I ticked that they missed on Lowe? A little. But on the other hand, the Braves overpaid. I also think they should've done a little of what the Red Sox did... high risk, high reward pitchers like Penny and Smoltz. Maybe Garcia is that. He's done it before, and maybe he pans out. If he doesn't, just from his stuff, I love Jon Niese. He is a real talent.

You might see Fernando Martinez in LF platooning with Murphy by the end of the year anyway... that is a player that can provide a shot in the arm for the stretch run.

I don't like the idea of Manny the Met... sorry. I'm telling you that Manny is a great hitter. One of the greatest. But he won't remain that way for much longer. And I don't blame Minaya for not wanting to pay $50-$75 million for a guy who is not only aging, but has bad intangibles and plays bad defense. Especially when you have young players that have shown they can hit, and another that hit very well last year, particularly versus lefties (Tatis). He's not worth it.

But the Mets will never sign Manny, at least not with the Wilpon's at the helm.

Daddy Wilpon buys a ML team because his son was never good enough to get on one.

I long for the days of Doubleday owning this team, wanna know why? He knew what the

fuck he was doing. Shit you DO know that the Wilpon's didn't even WANT Mike Piazza back

after the 1998 season!!! How is that possible? How could you NOT want him back, he took your

team from the fortresses of sucktitude to the brink of a world series contender in oh...6 months.

Doubleday brought him back. Piazza is now one of the top 2 Mets of all time, 1st being Seaver.

Okay. You got me on one thing.

I'm glad you did.

Now try and dispute what I said about Delgado.

Your quick to shit on Manny, but Delgado is the same age! And he's a wild

card as they come. He can't play defense, can't run for shit and he's rumored

to have divided the locker room last season.

Yeah, but Manny is worse because he doesn't run out a ground ball to the short stop.

I'd gladly take Manny and his antics for 1 or 2 years, and it will translate to wins. He's been

a winner every where he went.

I'm not doubting Manny's bat... but I think Ortiz, Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Okajima, Youkilis, Lowell, Lester, etc. had something to do with Manny being "a winner".