SportsWrath

Outfield Need

Lubeck

You might see Fernando Martinez in LF platooning with Murphy by the end of the year anyway... that is a player that can provide a shot in the arm for the stretch run.

I've been hearing about Fernando Martinez for about 10 years now.

Want to know the biggest knock against him? Injuries. Awesome

I hate to say it, but I'm paging ones Mr. Alex Ochoa and Mr. Alex Escobar's on this guy.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Check out where the homerun lands at the very end of the video. Fernando Martinez.

By the way, Golfin', Fernando is only 20 years old. Give the kid a break already with the Escobar talk.

The guy can rake. Hit .314 in the Dominican League this summer, and in Spring Training last year with the Mets he hit .340. He's going to hit.

Check out where the homerun lands at the very end of the video. Fernando Martinez.

By the way, Golfin', Fernando is only 20 years old. Give the kid a break already with the Escobar talk.

The guy can rake. Hit .314 in the Dominican League this summer, and in Spring Training last year with the Mets he hit .340. He's going to hit.

First off Martinez and Murphy will not platoon, they are both lefties that makes no sense whatsoever.

And Jim seriously do the Mets EVER do anything poorly in your eyes? EVER? Do any of their prospects suck? Does the lineup EVER lack punch ever?

I am all for being behind the team, but there is nothing wrong with people who support this team to look at things objectively speaking.

FMart will probably start the year in AAA-Buffalo. He did well in Fall/Winter ball and for the first time, showed off some of that power. I do still think he is another year away from the majors. Maybe he makes it this year. Depends on how desperate the organization gets but I do not want them to rush him. Murphy and Martinez both bat left but throw right handed.

FMart will probably start the year in AAA-Buffalo. He did well in Fall/Winter ball and for the first time, showed off some of that power. I do still think he is another year away from the majors. Maybe he makes it this year. Depends on how desperate the organization gets but I do not want them to rush him. Murphy and Martinez both bat left but throw right handed.

which as you know how they throw is irelevant in a platoon situation and you are not gonna platoon two guys(young ones at that)that both bat lefty. If my 140 mil team has to depend on a 20 year old kid for a "shot in the arm" for the stretch drive we are in deep shit.

Another thing, this idea that that Phils have "regressed" is assinine. They have two former NL MVP's in their prime. An ace in Hamels, the best closer in the NL possibly the majors in 08 and aside from what anyone thinks an upgrade in LF in Ibanez, one of the games best run producers the past 5 years and Werth in RF, who if we had in EITHER of our corner spots would be an instant upgrade over any of them. To say the world champions, with a young core in their prime and added additions have regressed is silly.

which as you know how they throw is irelevant in a platoon situation and you are not gonna platoon two guys(young ones at that)that both bat lefty. If my 140 mil team has to depend on a 20 year old kid for a "shot in the arm" for the stretch drive we are in deep shit.

Another thing, this idea that that Phils have "regressed" is assinine. They have two former NL MVP's in their prime. An ace in Hamels, the best closer in the NL possibly the majors in 08 and aside from what anyone thinks an upgrade in LF in Ibanez, one of the games best run producers the past 5 years and Werth in RF, who if we had in EITHER of our corner spots would be an instant upgrade over any of them. To say the world champions, with a young core in their prime and added additions have regressed is silly.

I didn't even see that about the Phillies. If the Phillies did anything, they are better. They are a year older and have the experience to win it again. Ibanez will be an upgrade over Burrell in the outfield. Burrell might have more power but Ibanez can hit. What you have to look at is the minor leagues. The Phillies organization has had a great system for a few years now. Look how many players starting on that team who was developed in the minor leagues even some players who are not there anymore like Punto, Burrell, Paul Byrd, just to name a few. Then there are the players that are on the team now like Myers, Hammels, Howard, Utley, Rollins, Victorino, Ruiz just to name a few since 02. Those teams that they had in AA and AAA went to the playoffs almost every single year. Utley played over 2 years in AAA, Rollins was there for over a season and Hammels too. Howard was the only one who didn't play a full season in AAA. This team is going to be good for a while until they let everyone go by free agency. And we all know that they wont give Howard a long term contract.

The same can be said for the Yankees of the 90's and all the home grown prospects they had. The Mets core are really only two home grown prospects in Wright and Reyes. I will give the Mets some credit, their system has slowly getting better. They just have to stop trading away the top prospects. I guess that is why they are holding onto Marte, FMart, Flores and a few others.

Enough about the Phillies. Yes they have great players. And yes, they have a good chance for the playoffs because of Rollins, Utley, Victorino, and Howard. Yes, Werth is a nice player. I still think Church can play.

But Ibanez and upgrade over Burrell? NO. Ibanez plays an even worse LF than Burrell! He is one of the worst defensive outfielders in MLB. And he will play most of the season at 37 years old, and the Phils gave him a 3 year deal! He can hit (and I know that is all that matters to you guys), but he doesn't have the power of Burrell. He will hit for a little better average though, and play bad defense. Moyer is still in the rotation, and he will play the year at 47 years old!!!

The Phillies have regressed because they didn't do anything to get better, unless you think Chan Ho Park makes them better.

The Mets had a glaring weakness in the bullpen and they answered it in a big way.

As for Fernando Martinez, guess who else was 20 when he broke in and hit .307? Jose Reyes. I admit that the platoon with Murphy remark was a gaffe, but it actually makes my point even further. If Martinez gets called up for the stretch run, he can take Murphy's place in the platoon, and Murphy can move to 2B, so we can see a lot less of Castillo.

This team has talent. And yes, I'm all about looking at the Mets objectively, xxi. But I'm not going to be alarmist and say they have no chance because they won't sign a 37 year old for $25 million a year to a 2 or 3 year deal. I did want Manny in his late twenties early thirties, I do not want Manny now.

I think this team has a legitimate chance to win the division. Church is not trash, I think he can provide power and a lot of RBI potential out of the 5th or 6th spot in the order. I think Murphy is a nice young hitter who will help this team have a better season, I think our bullpen is now one of the best in MLB. Throw in a rotation who will hold opponents in check the vast majority of the time and I think this team is going to have to REALLY work hard to choke this one away.

This team has talent. And yes, I'm all about looking at the Mets objectively, xxi. But I'm not going to be alarmist and say they have no chance because they won't sign a 37 year old for $25 million a year to a 2 or 3 year deal. I did want Manny in his late twenties early thirties, I do not want Manny now.

I think this team has a legitimate chance to win the division. Church is not trash, I think he can provide power and a lot of RBI potential out of the 5th or 6th spot in the order. I think Murphy is a nice young hitter who will help this team have a better season, I think our bullpen is now one of the best in MLB. Throw in a rotation who will hold opponents in check the vast majority of the time and I think this team is going to have to REALLY work hard to choke this one away.

Moyer still beats the Mets at 47 years old.

And to the bolded part.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. HA. HA.

Moyer still beats the Mets at 47 years old.

And to the bolded part.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. HA. HA.

Yes, the old man pitched well versus the Mets last year. But he can't do it forever, and they gave him a 2 year deal, Golfin'. I mean, are you putting Moyer on a pedestal and calling out Church as trash in the same post? Everybody needs to calm down and have a little more levity here. In April and May he was fantastic, and the rest of the season was a struggle, and we know that his numbers suffered then because of his concussion and being rushed to come back too soon afterwards. If you can tell me definitively that you believe his dropoff in production was unrelated to his head injury then I don't know what to say.

At minimum, based on what he did pre-concussion, he deserves the benefit of the doubt and to be given another opportunity to succeed this year. I really can't wait for this season because I really believe he's going to silence his doubters. Just give him a chance, Golfin'. A concussion like he suffered is not easy to come back from, and it was exacerbated by poor decisions from the Mets' medical staff.

I see this team as one that can do a lot of damage in the lineup, and I think the 2 keys in the lineup are Murphy and Church.

If Murphy thrives in the 2-hole (where I think he will bat), then this offense is going to go. Reyes is going to score a lot more runs. Church I think can more than make up for any power production that we lose from Delgado, if any. I'm not saying Church is a superstar or MVP candidate. What I am saying is that he can give us 25+ HR's adn 95 or so RBI's, I don't think that would be a problem, if he plays regularly and healthy.

LOL Church is not going to hit 25+ homers.

You are only speculating as am I. I am saying he has the ability. In April and May, he had 9 homeruns in 161 ABs, or 1 homerun per 17.88 ABs. Projected to 500 ABs (a conservative number of AB's for a starting OFer), the number is 27.95 HRs. So my estimate could be too low. I know projections can be tricky, and one could argue that his April/May numbers were on the high end of his production or an outlier, but I think that those numbers are more indicative as to what he can produce over a season. Another way of saying this is that I think that those April/May numbers are closer to his what his average production will be during his prime playing years, which he is currently in. We can agree to disagree, but if Church receives adequate playing time this year (which I think he will), and stays healthy, he will prove one of us right and one of us wrong. But simply stating that he "is not going to hit 25+ homers" is just opinion.

Enough about the Phillies. Yes they have great players. And yes, they have a good chance for the playoffs because of Rollins, Utley, Victorino, and Howard. Yes, Werth is a nice player. I still think Church can play.

But Ibanez and upgrade over Burrell? NO. Ibanez plays an even worse LF than Burrell! He is one of the worst defensive outfielders in MLB. And he will play most of the season at 37 years old, and the Phils gave him a 3 year deal! He can hit (and I know that is all that matters to you guys), but he doesn't have the power of Burrell. He will hit for a little better average though, and play bad defense. Moyer is still in the rotation, and he will play the year at 47 years old!!!

The Phillies have regressed because they didn't do anything to get better, unless you think Chan Ho Park makes them better.

The Mets had a glaring weakness in the bullpen and they answered it in a big way.

As for Fernando Martinez, guess who else was 20 when he broke in and hit .307? Jose Reyes. I admit that the platoon with Murphy remark was a gaffe, but it actually makes my point even further. If Martinez gets called up for the stretch run, he can take Murphy's place in the platoon, and Murphy can move to 2B, so we can see a lot less of Castillo.

You say that defense does not matter to us "guys" then you tell us that Daniel Murphy is going to go play 2B, a position he has never played before in a stretch run of a season that you expect to play pennant race baseball.

Keep tossing shit on the wall JIM, sooner or later it sticks......

Hate on Ibanez all you want, the man is a better run producer and overall hitter than Burrell ever was and they both suck in LF.

You say that defense does not matter to us "guys" then you tell us that Daniel Murphy is going to go play 2B, a position he has never played before in a stretch run of a season that you expect to play pennant race baseball.

Keep tossing shit on the wall JIM, sooner or later it sticks......

Hate on Ibanez all you want, the man is a better run producer and overall hitter than Burrell ever was and they both suck in LF.

I believe Murphy has been playing 2B in winterball, his is a case where I think that because he probably allow the Mets to have such a HUGE offensive advantage of him rather than Castillo at 2b, that it could work, ONLY if he acclimates himself to the position well.

You seem to think that I am all about absolutes. I am not. I am stating possibilities... plausible ones. We all know how much Castillo is an albatross. If we were afforded a Murphy move to 2nd and take Castillo out, while not losing a good stick in LF because of the emergence of Martinez, it is win-win.

I'm really sorry guys that I have a different opinion of the team than you guys. I'm really sorry that I don't think everything about the Mets sucks ass. I get the frustration. Nobody likes the way the last 3 seasons have ended. Nobody likes having the hated Phils win a WS this past year and having your noses rubbed in it. But the great thing about being a fan of a team, is that the reset button is hit every Spring. We can believe again. If you choose not to, fine. But don't try and marginalize me for believing this team has a legit shot, which I think they do. I believe they are an Ollie Perez signing away from passing the Phils, who they beat 10 out of 17 times last year, in a year where there was turmoil, managerial/coaches firings, the loss of key players for much of the year, and absolutely no bullpen help.

SORRY guys for liking this team. Sorry if I don't agree that Man-Ram automatically would be the Mets savior. Sorry if I think you don't need a bunch of overpaid aging superstars are what you need to win. Sorry if I believe that there are young players ready to make big impacts, and that they will balance this roster. Continue to try and shit on me for being positive about the team. I am not going away. And when these Mets win, I will still be here so I can witness the crow-eating.

And by the way, Ibanez is only a marginal improvement at the plate for the Phils in LF over Burrell, but an improvement nonetheless. But I'm sure with all the K's Chan Ho Park and Jamie Moyer are going to rack up this year, they won't need much defense in the outfield anyways.

I believe Murphy has been playing 2B in winterball, his is a case where I think that because he probably allow the Mets to have such a HUGE offensive advantage of him rather than Castillo at 2b, that it could work, ONLY if he acclimates himself to the position well.

You seem to think that I am all about absolutes. I am not. I am stating possibilities... plausible ones. We all know how much Castillo is an albatross. If we were afforded a Murphy move to 2nd and take Castillo out, while not losing a good stick in LF because of the emergence of Martinez, it is win-win.

I'm really sorry guys that I have a different opinion of the team than you guys. I'm really sorry that I don't think everything about the Mets sucks ass. I get the frustration. Nobody likes the way the last 3 seasons have ended. Nobody likes having the hated Phils win a WS this past year and having your noses rubbed in it. But the great thing about being a fan of a team, is that the reset button is hit every Spring. We can believe again. If you choose not to, fine. But don't try and marginalize me for believing this team has a legit shot, which I think they do. I believe they are an Ollie Perez signing away from passing the Phils, who they beat 10 out of 17 times last year, in a year where there was turmoil, managerial/coaches firings, the loss of key players for much of the year, and absolutely no bullpen help.

SORRY guys for liking this team. Sorry if I don't agree that Man-Ram automatically would be the Mets savior. Sorry if I think you don't need a bunch of overpaid aging superstars are what you need to win. Sorry if I believe that there are young players ready to make big impacts, and that they will balance this roster. Continue to try and shit on me for being positive about the team. I am not going away. And when these Mets win, I will still be here so I can witness the crow-eating.

And by the way, Ibanez is only a marginal improvement at the plate for the Phils in LF over Burrell, but an improvement nonetheless. But I'm sure with all the K's Chan Ho Park and Jamie Moyer are going to rack up this year, they won't need much defense in the outfield anyways.

No the K's will go to a healthy Hamels and Myers and of course Lidge and Madson on the back end. You praise Tatits, yet bash a guy like Moyer. I can only imagine if Moyer were a Met....

As for Murphy, he has not played winter ball, he was dinged up. That 2B idea was floated last year.

No one is saying to not be positive Jim, its great, we get it you always believe, but here is when you lose all credibility, when you completely jump the shark of homerism if you will, when you fail to recognize that the METS have no closed the gap on the Phillies nor do they have the proven horses that they do. Where their big 3 of Utley, Rollins and Howard got it done(2 mvps 1 ws title) our big 3 of Wright, Beltran and Reyes shit the bed three years in a row. Ignoring that fact and assuming it will just disappear is blind. This core has consistently showed when the spot gets bigger they get smaller.

No the K's will go to a healthy Hamels and Myers and of course Lidge and Madson on the back end. You praise Tatits, yet bash a guy like Moyer. I can only imagine if Moyer were a Met....

As for Murphy, he has not played winter ball, he was dinged up. That 2B idea was floated last year.

No one is saying to not be positive Jim, its great, we get it you always believe, but here is when you lose all credibility, when you completely jump the shark of homerism if you will, when you fail to recognize that the METS have no closed the gap on the Phillies nor do they have the proven horses that they do. Where their big 3 of Utley, Rollins and Howard got it done(2 mvps 1 ws title) our big 3 of Wright, Beltran and Reyes shit the bed three years in a row. Ignoring that fact and assuming it will just disappear is blind. This core has consistently showed when the spot gets bigger they get smaller.

Murphy just played in the Arizona Fall League. He was supposed to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic but injured an hamstring. He did play second and that position was schedule for him way before he got called up to the majors. He did make a few errors but I cannot find them at the moment. He still played well but Omar and Gansta said that he will not play second. I would rather see him go through the growing pains at second than watch Shitstillo hit every ball to the pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=...&pid=502517

I think Wright deserves a pass for 07 and Beltran a pass for 08. They both played well in the stretch runs.

I don't think I'm an over the top homer, and I do think they have closed the gap. They closed the gap with the Phils because of K-Rod and Putz. Everyone knows the bullpen blew a lot of games last year. That is not going to happen with our guys on the back end this year. That is the biggest reason we've closed the gap. With more production from the corner outfield spots, which I think we WILL get, I think we are in very good shape to win the division. I think it will be a tough race with the Phils but I like our chances. All the Phils did was get Ibanez. He is not really going to improve them that much over Burrell, if at all.

All this talk got me thinking about Met outfielders. Lets play a little game Met fan brothers, see if you are thinking like me....

Darryl Strawberry

followed by

Stan Jefferson, Herm Winningham, Shawn Abner, Mark Carreon, Jay Payton, Alex Ochoa, Butch Huskey, Jeromy Burnitz, Lastings Milledge.

All this talk got me thinking about Met outfielders. Lets play a little game Met fan brothers, see if you are thinking like me....

Darryl Strawberry

followed by

Stan Jefferson, Herm Winningham, Shawn Abner, Mark Carreon, Jay Payton, Alex Ochoa, Butch Huskey, Jeromy Burnitz, Lastings Milledge.

I already got you beat.

I've been hearing about Fernando Martinez for about 10 years now.

Want to know the biggest knock against him? Injuries. Awesome

I hate to say it, but I'm paging ones Mr. Alex Ochoa and Mr. Alex Escobar's on this guy.