SportsWrath

Jeff Kent Retires- Hall of Famer?

fringe

Abso freakin lutely.

Maybe not first ballot but he's got the most homers by any 2nd baseman (by about 100) and when he was with the Giants, you could make a case for Bonds Kent Burkes being the best 3-4-5 hitters in the history of the game.

Too bad the guy is such a red ass, that may make him lose some years.

Abso freakin lutely.

Maybe not first ballot but he's got the most homers by any 2nd baseman (by about 100) and when he was with the Giants, you could make a case for Bonds Kent Burkes being the best 3-4-5 hitters in the history of the game.

Too bad the guy is such a red ass, that may make him lose some years.

And you still lost to the overrated 2000 Mets!

hahaha!

And you still lost to the overrated 2000 Mets!

hahaha!

Great hitting teams sometimes don;t go all the way. Some (I won't mention any names) even choke in the final month of the season and don't even make the playoffs- regularly. :o

But we are here today to celebrate the career of Jeffrey Franklin Kent.

Abso freakin lutely.

Better than Ruth, Gehrig, and Meusel?

Jeff Kent is a douche bag, but he may make the hall of fame. He was not nearly the 2bmen that say Sandberg was as a power hitting 2bmen, but he was decent enough. I guess he can thank Al Harazin, who was the man who had the forsight to move him to 2b when he traded Cone for him in 92.

Jeff Kent is a douche bag, but he may make the hall of fame. He was not nearly the 2bmen that say Sandberg was as a power hitting 2bmen, but he was decent enough. I guess he can thank Al Harazin, who was the man who had the forsight to move him to 2b when he traded Cone for him in 92.

ryne sandberg was a better power hitter than kent? that's crazy talk!

ryne sandberg was a better power hitter than kent? that's crazy talk!

No Blu what I was comparing him to a as HOF power hitting 2nd basemen was Sandberg and what I really meant to say was that Jeff Kent was not the 2nd basemen in terms of defense that Sandberg was.

I always saw Kent as a 3bmen playing 2b, maybe because I remember when he was moved there. He was nowhere near the defensive 2ndbasemen that Sandberg was, I should have been more clear on that opinion.

He never had the defense to be elected in his first couple of years but eventually, he deserves it. Now a tougher question, even though he has amazing stats, is Roberto Alomar.

He is as close to Joe Morgan any 2nd basemen has ever been from 1990 to 2001, my answer is yes. He just crapped out fast. Do not forget he came up young in 1989, so there were some miles on that body.

No Blu what I was comparing him to a as HOF power hitting 2nd basemen was Sandberg and what I really meant to say was that Jeff Kent was not the 2nd basemen in terms of defense that Sandberg was.

I always saw Kent as a 3bmen playing 2b, maybe because I remember when he was moved there. He was nowhere near the defensive 2ndbasemen that Sandberg was, I should have been more clear on that opinion.

yup- you should. :)

those 2 have nothing in common except the position. sandberg was a great fielder and a great base stealer too. kent was slow as...all the other giants at that time. and i agree, he could've played 3rd or 1st but it helped the giants to have him at 2nd-then they didn't have to find power at 3rd.

remember, they traded matt williams for him.

yup- you should. :)

those 2 have nothing in common except the position. sandberg was a great fielder and a great base stealer too. kent was slow as...all the other giants at that time. and i agree, he could've played 3rd or 1st but it helped the giants to have him at 2nd-then they didn't have to find power at 3rd.

remember, they traded matt williams for him.

Sandberg did hit 282 home runs in 8300 at bats, he was considered in his time a power hitting 2ndbasemen/ Morgan hit 268. Kent was more powerful then them at the position, more powerful than anyone ever at the position actually, but was he as good a 2nd basemen as those 2 who were considered power hitting 2nd basemen of their eras?

Sandberg did hit 282 home runs in 8300 at bats, he was considered in his time a power hitting 2ndbasemen/ Morgan hit 268. Kent was more powerful then them at the position, more powerful than anyone ever at the position actually, but was he as good a 2nd basemen as those 2 who were considered power hitting 2nd basemen of their eras?

you're talking fielding? obviously, no. but he caught the balls within his range and he had a decent pivot. that's all you need from a 2B with pop.

you're talking fielding? obviously, no. but he caught the balls within his range and he had a decent pivot. that's all you need from a 2B with pop.

He wan an abortion early on with the Mets at 2b I believe in 1993 he had the worst fielding% of any 2b in the majors, he did get better though no doubt.