SportsWrath

Mets Tell Bannister he is 5th starter

Exit 117

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/200...28/1846691.html

01:03 PM - News: Bannister Names as 5th Starter

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

The Mets have told RHP Brian Bannister that he will be the team’s fifth starter…

…the buzz from camp is that the team could no longer keep the rest of its staff in limbo, wondering when they’d be pitching…as such, the heilman and bannister decisions had to be made…

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/200...28/1846696.html

01:08 PM - News: Keppinger and Perez Sent to AAA

The Mets have sent 2B Jeff Keppinger and LHP Juan Perez to Triple-A…

…it’s all coming together…

…and keppinger has got to be steamed…

I know Heilman was great out of the pen last year, but I think he could win 17 games this season as a starter. That cat can pitch. Its a very odd move sending him back to the pen and going with a rookie a starter. Is Bannister out of options or something? If I were Heilman Id be pissed.

I know Heilman was great out of the pen last year, but I think he could win 17 games this season as a starter. That cat can pitch. Its a very odd move sending him back to the pen and going with a rookie a starter. Is Bannister out of options or something? If I were Heilman Id be pissed.

Bannister isn't out of options, I don't think. This is the first time he has been in the majors, and has never gone backwards in leagues. They (Omar & Willie) feel that Heilman is more valuable out of the pen, especially since Juan Padilla went down.

Bannister isn't out of options, I don't think. This is the first time he has been in the majors, and has never gone backwards in leagues. They (Omar & Willie) feel that Heilman is more valuable out of the pen, especially since Juan Padilla went down.

And they want to see what they got for Benson. They can always send him down if it doesn't work.

A MetsBlog.com update:

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/200...28/1846696.html

01:08 PM - News: Keppinger, Ring and Perez Sent to AAA

The Mets have sent 2B Jeff Keppinger, LHP Royce Ring and LHP Juan Perez to Triple-A…

…it’s all coming together…

…and keppinger has got to be steamed…

SHitty move, Heilman IMO has the stuff to be the 3rd starter in this rotation as the year progresses'. He is downright nasty and did MORE than enough to that he can start, both this spring and last year. As for Bannister I wish him well, but I also remember the Tyler Yates spring of 04 and how that developed by the end of April. At this point if Bannister fails and Heilman is forced back into the rotation how long will it take for Heilman to build up that stamina to start. If Heilman starts, Bannister starts in AAA and then changes are made later on its easier to go back to the pen then come back from the pen to the rotation. This REEKS of Rick Peterson. :TD:

SHitty move, Heilman IMO has the stuff to be the 3rd starter in this rotation as the year progresses'. He is downright nasty and did MORE than enough to that he can start, both this spring and last year. As for Bannister I wish him well, but I also remember the Tyler Yates spring of 04 and how that developed by the end of April. At this point if Bannister fails and Heilman is forced back into the rotation how long will it take for Heilman to build up that stamina to start. If Heilman starts, Bannister starts in AAA and then changes are made later on its easier to go back to the pen then come back from the pen to the rotation. This REEKS of Rick Peterson. :TD:

I think the possible reward for this is greater then the problems that would come. At least if Bannister would struggle, it would be part of growing pains and he will gradually improve over time. And for all we know, he could make an immediate impact. But if Heilman were to struggle at fifth starter and then we move him to the pen it may hurt his confidence a bit and he won't be as affective in the pen.

I think when the Mets have the type of pitching staff that we have, a risk may be needed to be taken. This may be it. I'm all for it... for now. I just want Heilman to remain happy and give it his all in the pen.

I think the possible reward for this is greater then the problems that would come. At least if Bannister would struggle, it would be part of growing pains and he will gradually improve over time. And for all we know, he could make an immediate impact. But if Heilman were to struggle at fifth starter and then we move him to the pen it may hurt his confidence a bit and he won't be as affective in the pen.

I think when the Mets have the type of pitching staff that we have, a risk may be needed to be taken. This may be it. I'm all for it... for now. I just want Heilman to remain happy and give it his all in the pen.

:rock:

Ill repeat, trading Benson and Seo was incredibly stupid. The Mets have no depth at SP. Bannister was a 7th rouind pick. Im not saying a guy picked in the 7th round cant be a productive major league pitcher, but Heilman was their first rounder and has MUCH better stuff and he goes to the pen? Very odd move

Ill repeat, trading Benson and Seo was incredibly stupid. The Mets have no depth at SP. Bannister was a 7th rouind pick. Im not saying a guy picked in the 7th round cant be a productive major league pitcher, but Heilman was their first rounder and has MUCH better stuff and he goes to the pen? Very odd move

Trading Seo was retarded but I agree with trading Benson. Wish we got something better out of that deal though.

And not many players in the majors these days are first round picks. 7th round is relatively high when you think about it and see the other players in the majors these days.

WHere a guy was drafted is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. As for trading Seo, they gave up a guy who was at a point where he was going to yield the most he was ever going to yield and they wound up with a guy who has NASTY stuff and was one of the best set up men in the NL last year. Sanchez is downright sick and David Wright said he has the nastiest stuff he saw all year in 05(and that was when he was a Dodger). As for Benson, he is 1)overrated, 2)overpaid, 3)brittle, 4)weak. He is not that good, the Mets gave him WAAAAY TOOOO much money, he has gone over 200 ip twice in his career and his WIFE HAS A BIG FUCKING MOUTH. When that dumb whore said that Minaya is trying to build a Latin team to the press, how was Benson going to go into the lockeroom with his LATIN teammates and deal with that? It could have been a big problem, and yes they got back another POS in Julio, but they freed up 5 million in salary, allowing them to pursue a potential free agent to be pitcher this July if need be.

WHere a guy was drafted is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. As for trading Seo, they gave up a guy who was at a point where he was going to yield the most he was ever going to yield and they wound up with a guy who has NASTY stuff and was one of the best set up men in the NL last year. Sanchez is downright sick and David Wright said he has the nastiest stuff he saw all year in 05(and that was when he was a Dodger). As for Benson, he is 1)overrated, 2)overpaid, 3)brittle, 4)weak. He is not that good, the Mets gave him WAAAAY TOOOO much money, he has gone over 200 ip twice in his career and his WIFE HAS A BIG FUCKING MOUTH. When that dumb whore said that Minaya is trying to build a Latin team to the press, how was Benson going to go into the lockeroom with his LATIN teammates and deal with that? It could have been a big problem, and yes they got back another POS in Julio, but they freed up 5 million in salary, allowing them to pursue a potential free agent to be pitcher this July if need be.

Nice points, I hope you are right by Sanchez. I personally never saw him much before so I guess I'll get my first look at him this season. I just wish we could have more depth in the starting rotation though.

I've seen a couple of his posts. I could concur with you there.

I've known him for a year or two. He is intelligent, but he is also a racist and close-minded. He has received 2 or 3 lifetime bans from the Jets board now because of his hate of Kevin Weekes.

I've known him for a year or two. He is intelligent, but he is also a racist and close-minded. He has received 2 or 3 lifetime bans from the Jets board now because of his hate of Kevin Weekes.

He's made some good posts, but he reminds me of the Fab 4...