SportsWrath

Embrace the hate?

Taylorized56

I was reading some Mets blogs today and came across this article and found it interesting. It's somewhat long so I'll just post part of it.

As the fans in Philadelphia celebrate their second-ever World Series championship, I am still pondering the words spoken by the now-retired, surefire Hall of Famer Pat Gillick's words a few days ago, when discussing how his team won the division the past two years. Everyone hates the New York Mets, he said, right? Haven't you heard? The New York Mets have conducted themselves so poorly as sportsmen that Gillick says it helped the Phillies immensely..

The Mets, he told SI.com, celebrate in an untoward way, “ ... it reaches the point where they're taunting the other the team. Everyone should have the opportunity to celebrate. But there's a fine line, and sometimes they tend to go over the line and taunt the other team.''

For anyone that watches the Mets on a daily basis, or listens to sports talk radio, this conflicts with the notion that many fans feel the Mets “lack passion.”

One of the more passionate Mets fans I know, Steve Keane of the well-read blog “The Eddie Kranepool Society”, posted just that on his blog after a Mets loss in September:

The Mets played today's game like there was no sense of urgency I know players are much different from fans as we take every pitch like it’s life or death but my God this Mets team should have come out fired up after losing Friday night instead they played like (bleep). There was no batting practice and no infield practice, so add that to no game yesterday (in fact the only player it seems who was at Shea yesterday was Billy Wags so they all had a full day off) Hard to believe but this team better play tonight like their hair is on fire.

So, which is it, is this team so passionate that their celebrations are a result of their over-exuberance? Or perhaps, is this just more typical anti-New York bias that infects the entire country?

I'm guessing the latter. Because, otherwise, I don't get it.

How many times have you heard potential free agents or players from other cities say how much they don't like New York? It's not a nice place for visiting players, nor is it a very welcoming place for passionless, underperforming millionaires. Even Hall of Fame players are not immune to our expectations. We've booed everybody; Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Duke Snider, even Johan Santana, for goodness sake.

The full article is here-

http://gothambaseballmagazine.com/mets/embrace-the-hate.html

I have come to terms and accepted the fact that the Phillies have won it all. It's not like they haven't done before. I would probably be more depressed if the Eagles won it all. I am sure the Red Sox winning killed Yankees fans more. They have a much more heating rivalry.

And if the dislike of the Mets helped the Phillies so be it. It's the Mets fault. The last two years, it was theirs for the taking but we all know what happened. The Phillies are a very likable team and I saw most of these guys play in AAA and I am happy for them. For their fans, I am not as happy for them.

For the record I'm not bitter whatsoever about the Phillies winning the WS. I made a thread congratulating them when they made the WS. I'm not jealous at all. It's not about them. A lot of teams in the MLB can't stand us, not just the Phillies.

And Ditto, maybe because I thought the guy made some good points, that's why.

I have come to terms and accepted the fact that the Phillies have won it all. It's not like they haven't done before. I would probably be more depressed if the Eagles won it all. I am sure the Red Sox winning killed Yankees fans more. They have a much more heating rivalry.

And if the dislike of the Mets helped the Phillies so be it. It's the Mets fault. The last two years, it was theirs for the taking but we all know what happened. The Phillies are a very likable team and I saw most of these guys play in AAA and I am happy for them. For their fans, I am not as happy for them.

The Phillies are likeable? Utley leaning over the inside corner to try to get hit is likeable? J-Roll is likeable? Victorino is likeable? Wife beater Myers is likeable? Charlie Manuel is likeable?

Howard is likeable, I'll give you that. Hamels is likeable as well. I will say Lidge also because of what he went through. But as a team, they are not likeable, IMO. ESPECIALLY Victorino, Utley, and Rollins.

No one liked the 1986 Mets either and it did not matter.

When are people going to ACCEPT the Phillies are better than the Mets, much better in fact and for most of the year they were better. Why is this so hard to grasp. Its like shithead Eagle fans that downplay what the Giants did in 2007, sometime you have to admit what it is and move on.

Fuck that shit that the Mets actions helped the Phillies, the Mets shitty bullpen had more to do with the Phils winning the east than Jose Reyes acting like an asshole(or as we now refer to it here in these parts a Victorino). I for one do not like the antics of Reyes acting like a Victorino, but if its such a motivating factor to hate doucebagginess then the Mets should win 120 games next year when they think of the Phils.

Brad Lidge is a Met and Philly is moving towards 26 years and no championships for that town.

No one liked the 1986 Mets either and it did not matter.

When are people going to ACCEPT the Phillies are better than the Mets, much better in fact and for most of the year they were better. Why is this so hard to grasp. Its like shithead Eagle fans that downplay what the Giants did in 2007, sometime you have to admit what it is and move on.

Fuck that shit that the Mets actions helped the Phillies, the Mets shitty bullpen had more to do with the Phils winning the east than Jose Reyes acting like an asshole(or as we now refer to it here in these parts a Victorino). I for one do not like the antics of Reyes acting like a Victorino, but if its such a motivating factor to hate doucebagginess then the Mets should win 120 games next year when they think of the Phils.

Brad Lidge is a Met and Philly is moving towards 26 years and no championships for that town.

Here here xxi. You said it beautifully and everything is correct. You will get no argument from me that the Phillies were better than the Mets. I'm looking forward, and if the Mets aren't better than the Phils in 2009, than Minaya, Bernazard, and company are fools. They know what they need to do... get arms for that bullpen, a new closer, and maybe get another big outfield bat, in that order.

What? :unsure:

What???

<_<

Let me break it down for you in hypothetical terms.

"IF" Lidge was a Met(not a Phillie hypothetically) then the Phillies would not be celebrating Phildelphia's first title in that city for 26 years, since the streak was stopped at 25.

Its like this, Lidge was the key to that team and a dominant reliever like that was what our bums from Queens lacked.

Gots it now?

Let me break it down for you in hypothetical terms.

"IF" Lidge was a Met(not a Phillie hypothetically) then the Phillies would not be celebrating Phildelphia's first title in that city for 26 years, since the streak was stopped at 25.

Its like this, Lidge was the key to that team and a dominant reliever like that was what our bums from Queens lacked.

Gots it now?

Oh, sorry.

I don't usually think "hypothetically".

Reality is sooo much better. :P

I would imagine it is and knowing the history of your franchise you will cherish this one for a long long long long time ;)

Perhaps...but history is ever evolving. Change is right around the corner. ;)

Right now, I am having a fabulous sports year in history. Superbowl Champion team in the beginning...World Series Champions to end.

Now if the Caps would just get better. <_<

Perhaps...but history is ever evolving. Change is right around the corner. ;)

Right now, I am having a fabulous sports year in history. Superbowl Champion team in the beginning...World Series Champions to end.

Now if the Caps would just get better. <_<

Yes in 1986 I was in the same exact boat, the WS first and then the SB but the same boat. Of course I was there also in 2000 as well, but the flip side of course <_<

In fact, Ggirl, personally, I can't count you as a true Giants fan for that reason. I believe being a true Giants' fan includes hating all things Philly. I know you don't care, just sayin'.

I don't know man, there's a lot of Giants fans who are Yankees fans that probably don't hate the Phillies. As Mets fans it's natural for us but not for all Giants fans IMO.

In fact, Ggirl, personally, I can't count you as a true Giants fan for that reason. I believe being a true Giants' fan includes hating all things Philly. I know you don't care, just sayin'.

Well, my friend...you count me any way you'd like to because you're right, I don't care.

I've been a GIANTS fan since I was old enough to know what football was, age 6, to be more precise. I live in Eagles country and if you ask anyone who even remotely knows me...they will tell you I am as diehard as they come. Yeah, my dad is a major Yankees fan, and if you ask him...being a fan of the Mets would be MUCH WORSE than the Phillies.

Well, my friend...you count me any way you'd like to because you're right, I don't care.

I've been a GIANTS fan since I was old enough to know what football was, age 6, to be more precise. I live in Eagles country and if you ask anyone who even remotely knows me...they will tell you I am as diehard as they come. Yeah, my dad is a major Yankees fan, and if you ask him...being a fan of the Mets would be MUCH WORSE than the Phillies.

Congrats Ggirl. Quite a year for you! First the Giants, now the Phils. I had a year like that once, waaaaaaaay back in 86.

Enjoy it!

I would assume your DAD would also say being a fan of the Red Sox is much worse than the Phils. You live there, its only natural to be a fan of your team. IMO its a testament to you that you are a Giant fan, as you are smart enough to realize that the Philly football team is a lost cause. Its a shame for me that I never figured that out with NY's National League baseball club. <_<

Since I am a football first guy(though I will always die and I emphasize die with my Mets)I embrace all Giants fans as the Giants are my #1 sports love.

I would assume your DAD would also say being a fan of the Red Sox is much worse than the Phils. You live there, its only natural to be a fan of your team. IMO its a testament to you that you are a Giant fan, as you are smart enough to realize that the Philly football team is a lost cause. Its a shame for me that I never figured that out with NY's National League baseball club. <_<

Since I am a football first guy(though I will always die and I emphasize die with my Mets)I embrace all Giants fans as the Giants are my #1 sports love.

No, had I been a Red Sox fan, my dad would probably disown me...or worse. :ph34r: I did not "grow up" in NY, so I don't see how supporting a team from another area doesn't count, but it is what it is.

I am a GIANTS fan, tried and true. No baseball team, no matter how much I love and support them, will ever change that fact. :)

Congrats Ggirl. Quite a year for you! First the Giants, now the Phils. I had a year like that once, waaaaaaaay back in 86.

Enjoy it!

Thanks! It is quite awesome to have both in the same year! Now, I would like the close the year with another GIANTS Superbowl Championship.

Could you imagine?

wow.

Here here xxi. You said it beautifully and everything is correct. You will get no argument from me that the Phillies were better than the Mets. I'm looking forward, and if the Mets aren't better than the Phils in 2009, than Minaya, Bernazard, and company are fools. They know what they need to do... get arms for that bullpen, a new closer, and maybe get another big outfield bat, in that order.

If it only it were that easy..