SportsWrath

Heartbroken

jranieli

I have been sitting in my room since the end of the closing ceremony at Shea wondering what if.

What if, Willie was fired at the end of last season

What if, Wagner did not blow countless saves

What if, the Pen did not blow games for Santana

What if, Ayala and the other spot closers did not blow saves

What if, they took 3/4 from the Cubs

What if, Delgado did not have a monster last two months

What if, Santana was dealt somewhere else

What if, guys like Murphy and Evans were traded or not even called up

My emotions have been all over the place. Jeff Wilpon stated that the team "overachieved" this year. Well they did not the first two months but they certainly overachieved afterwords even through all the injuries to many key players. I dislike Wagner as much as the next person but if he was healthy, maybe we can count on an extra few more wins. Obviously he would have blown some but would have given us maybe 5 more wins. I am not pissed though. I would have been if he was around. I was really mad last year. This is not last year. It is different. I am more saddened though.

I just got out of the shower. I needed to cleanse myself after today. I have just been doing a lot of thinking. I try not to miss many games on TV. I don't get CW11 but if I can find a stream on the internet, I will watch it. This is the third year in a row where I had SNY and watched so many games. Through all the pain, something keeps me wanting to watch this team, every single day or night. I am very sad more than anything to see this season come to an end. There have been a whole lot ups and downs and maybe this is what keeps us Mets fans loyal.

I feel very guilty over the last few days calling these guys gutless and acting like a child. I am kind of embarrassed. I am just a frustrated fan. I think at this time, we all are, frustrated and saddened. I have blasted Wright on numerous occasions expecting way to much out of him. He has had a productive year but at times seems like he is trying to much and fails most of the time. He is only 25 so I am not really concerned.

In the end, I am going to miss Shea. It's been a part of my life, from going to games and watching the Mets on TV since I was 6 years old. Shea will be etched into my memory forever. Even though, it is sad to see it go, I am also looking forward to a new beginning at Citi Field and a new team on the field.

jr ive felt the exact same way. i busted out crying for the first time after a loss since god knows when. i got myself emotionally tied to this team unlike last year when i felt we had no right playing for october.

the closing ceremonies were almost surreal. it was probably the biggest mix of emotions ive ever felt, and i dont even have any memories of that place. Down the road i think its going to be more memorable going out like this.

This was the toughest loss I've ever endured. Honestly, it wasn't even that bad immediately after the game but hours later it's starting to sink in. To go from such a high after watching Johan pitch one of the best games ever by a Mets pitcher to what happened today... brutal man.

This is worse than last year IMO. It's like having your heart torn out and stomped on. I was so pumped yesterday and today before the game. I can't even watch highlights of the game. This one's gonna sting for a bit. *Cracks open another beer*

I have to figure out what am I going to do with my nights now. It's not like there isn't anything good on tv. I would come home from class, start watching SNY at 5 for DNL and then watch til the end of the game maybe flipping back and forth for something, but what now? I don't even want to depress myself and watch SNY tomorrow and hear Joe Benigno whine and cry about the season. Plus all they will talk about is the Jets now. I know not everyone likes hockey here but it might be my only savior during the week.

Guys, just move forward and think how much better next year will be in a shiny new kick ass stadium. That's what is getting me through my own baseball woes. It'll be a fresh start for both of our teams in the big apple.

:cheers: to next year. Best of luck.

Game 7, 2006 was way worse than this. After last year, and they way they were playing the past 2+ weeks, I expected this to happen. Didn't want it to, but was ready for it. For whatever reason, they just don't have it in them, and it goes back to that NLCS in 06 they had no business losing.

IMO this team is so unlikeable from the douche bag owners on down to the last POS on the bench in Castillo that I am not upset. Rooting for this team this year has been a chore, an absolute burden. I got ZERO enjoyment from this team, unwatchable is the word that comes to mind. I am thankful for Santana and the emergence of Daniel Murphy, the rest of this choking bunch can go fuck a goat. I waited a full day until my emotions calmed down, and they have. I know this team would have gotten smoked in the playoffs, but I hate to say this and most will disagree, a major shakeup of this team HAS to occur. They changed managers, same result. WHo the change in players is is yet to be determined, but right now IMO no one not named Santana is safe. You can safely call this core group of players ones who cannot get it done when it counts. Factor in the terrible NLCS loss in 06, the disaster of 07 and now this and anyone that argues against that is clearly ignoring the facts.

IMO this team is so unlikeable from the douche bag owners on down to the last POS on the bench in Castillo that I am not upset. Rooting for this team this year has been a chore, an absolute burden. I got ZERO enjoyment from this team, unwatchable is the word that comes to mind. I am thankful for Santana and the emergence of Daniel Murphy, the rest of this choking bunch can go fuck a goat. I waited a full day until my emotions calmed down, and they have. I know this team would have gotten smoked in the playoffs, but I hate to say this and most will disagree, a major shakeup of this team HAS to occur. They changed managers, same result. WHo the change in players is is yet to be determined, but right now IMO no one not named Santana is safe. You can safely call this core group of players ones who cannot get it done when it counts. Factor in the terrible NLCS loss in 06, the disaster of 07 and now this and anyone that argues against that is clearly ignoring the facts.

I agree to an extent. We can blame the bullpen all we want, and it was dreadful, but ONE timely hit in the past week at least would have gotten us to today. Going back to the NLCS in 06, it was the hitters who lost that series. I still would like to see Wright, Reyes, and Beltran remain the core of this team. Delgado was awesome for half a season, but I don't think it's worth bringing him back for one season if there is a younger, better 1st baseman available to be had. Definitely need to dismantle the bullpen, and add a top of the rotation starter. I'd like to see Perez back. Obviously, we need a LFer. I'd give Church another shot, considering he had his brain scrambled twice. Makes no sense getting rid of him when you already need an OFer. Why look for 2? Second base needs an upgrade. Jesus, there is alot of work to be done....

This team needs a gritty guy players can rally around. Orlando Hudson makes sense in that department.

If they want another big bat then Manny is the guy.

I still believe that if we win this thing it's going to be around guys like Wright and Reyes. But there are a lot of others that could be gone. Sorry that the Mets FO may have permanently fucked up your brain Churchy, but we can't wait for you to turn it around. Pop in Murphy.

Take your money and go Castillo. Hello Hudson.

As for the pen it's easy to say OVERHAUL LET'S GO! but who the hell are we gonna get? Obviously it starts with the closer, but we gotta work our way down. Smith stays, and maybe Feliciano but I'm iffy on that one. Everyone else should be gone.

It's easy to rip on these guys for their last week of play but we blew triple the amount of saves that the Phils did. If we blew half of that we win the division by five of games.

Not often do you see teams outhit bullpens with the likes of these and this year was no exception. That's why I don't put much blame on our hitters, it was simply too much to ask for.

I was realistic about our chances in the playoffs had we made it. It's just the way it ended at Shea. I don't know, '06 and '07 were bad but this just felt worse. Nothing we can do about it now but it's clear some major changes are needed for '09 and not just with the bullpen.

An interesting guy in all this is Sanchez. Had he been able to return to form from a couple of years ago we make the playoffs. I still think the guy never got a chance to strengthen that arm to pre-accident level. I would like to see what a full off-season of strength conditioning could do for him next year and not allow him to pitch winter ball. The guy had some nasty stuff in '06.

Agree with sentiments on '06 being a tougher season to go through. Amazing huh? This has got to be the most gut-wrenching 3 year stretch for fans of any franchise in history. Just for the last 3 years, to come within 5 outs of the world series, come within a game of the playoffs in arguably the worst collapse in history, and then this year, almost the same script as last year. This is the worst a 3 year stretch a fan can go through. What makes it worse is that in '06 the Cardinals were arguably the worst World Series champions in history. They really were not that great of a team, but a team that got hot at the right time. We had a fantastic team that year, and had we won game 7, I believe we win the World Series. But c'est la vie.

Even after all this, I remain optimistic. Too many young players to be excited about with Pelfrey, Murphy, Parnell, and Niese. Reyes and Wright are still young and still great players. Beltran gets more crap than he deserves. He hit some big homeruns in big spots down the stretch and overall had a nice season. Anyone who thinks we can do better than Beltran in CF has probably lost their mind.

I would like to see Delgado and Perez come back for one more. Santana would have easily won the Cy Young this year had the bullpen protected more of his leads. It seems like out of the 29 games they blew, half of them were in Santana's starts. Even still, the guy is a strong CY candidate, which speaks volumes about how special a pitcher he is and how great of a season he had.

This team is an exciting one, despite the heartbreak. Reyes is one of the most enjoyable players I've ever seen play in baseball. When he and Wright matures a little more as hitters, the Mets will be division champs repeatedly for several years, I really believe that.

Let's Go Mets!