SportsWrath

The last game at Shea pre game

xxi-xxv

SNY is doing a great job with this segment. Having all the ex players come on and shoot the shit is great. If you are not watching this and are a Met fan I suggest you do.

For me personally seeing Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden is so bittersweet. For those that are too young to remember or only remember them in as their watered down selves with the Yankees these two were something else back in the mid 80's. For me as a 10 year old in 1984 these were my first sports idols. Its funny that my favorite players of that time were LT, Darryl and Doc.

In retrospect its so sad what happened to those two. Had they not ruined themselves with drugs there is no telling what the limits were for these two and I can guarantee that the time frame between 1991 and 97, would have been a hell of a lot better in Mets lore.

SNY is doing a great job with this segment. Having all the ex players come on and shoot the shit is great. If you are not watching this and are a Met fan I suggest you do.

For me personally seeing Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden is so bittersweet. For those that are too young to remember or only remember them in as their watered down selves with the Yankees these two were something else back in the mid 80's. For me as a 10 year old in 1984 these were my first sports idols. Its funny that my favorite players of that time were LT, Darryl and Doc.

In retrospect its so sad what happened to those two. Had they not ruined themselves with drugs there is no telling what the limits were for these two and I can guarantee that the time frame between 1991 and 97, would have been a hell of a lot better in Mets lore.

Yeah the drugs really fucked these guys career up. Just imagine instead of being superstars of their era...they could have been listed with the greats of all time. Especially Strawberry....calling him the Black Ted Williams really did no justice to either part of that equation. I expected Darryl to homer every other game his swing was so sweet. As far as Gooden goes ....it was the drugs and Mel Stottlemeyer who fucked him up. All this bitch girl prissiness about changing one of the sweetest windups in the game so that he could have more break on his breaking ball. GolfingGuy brought up a quote from Carter saying why in the world would you want someone as dominant as Gooden was with two pitches....trying to turn him into something he wasn't. He was never the same in my opinion once he started to pay heed to Stotties bullshit. In my opinion he has shortened more young pitchers careers than any other coach in existence.

Yeah the drugs really fucked these guys career up. Just imagine instead of being superstars of their era...they could have been listed with the greats of all time. Especially Strawberry....calling him the Black Ted Williams really did no justice to either part of that equation. I expected Darryl to homer every other game his swing was so sweet. As far as Gooden goes ....it was the drugs and Mel Stottlemeyer who fucked him up. All this bitch girl prissiness about changing one of the sweetest windups in the game so that he could have more break on his breaking ball. GolfingGuy brought up a quote from Carter saying why in the world would you want someone as dominant as Gooden was with two pitches....trying to turn him into something he wasn't. He was never the same in my opinion once he started to pay heed to Stotties bullshit. In my opinion he has shortened more young pitchers careers than any other coach in existence.

"Here was Stottlemeyer trying to give Gooden a change up. I never understood this, he was trying

to teach someone who was blessed WITH movement and trying to teach him some."

Nice post game ceremony. It really really sucks to go out on a loss but what are you gonna do? It was nice to see some of the guys from those 80's and 90's teams I grew up watching. I was a huge Strawberry and Doc fan as a kid. I remember mimicking the Strawman's batting stance when we played sandlot baseball :D , good times

So long Shea, thanks for the memories.

"Here was Stottlemeyer trying to give Gooden a change up. I never understood this, he was trying

to teach someone who was blessed WITH movement and trying to teach him some."

Thanks Golfing....even me a guy who never played baseball on any level...(softball doesn't count) and lo and behold even I could see that Stottie was trying to teach Jesus about how to be a Christian. The guy had natural talent that was so good that you leave it alone. Just imagine if LT let someone screw him up with that "I am really going to teach you how to rush the QB". :rolleyes:

Thanks Golfing....even me a guy who never played baseball on any level...(softball doesn't count) and lo and behold even I could see that Stottie was trying to teach Jesus about how to be a Christian. The guy had natural talent that was so good that you leave it alone. Just imagine if LT let someone screw him up with that "I am really going to teach you how to rush the QB". :rolleyes:

hahaha...can I borrow that line? That's awesome.

Sure man....usually people say trying to teach the Pope on how to be a Catholic...but I used the above alliteration as Gooden seemed to be born with some good natural talent as opposed to having it developed; similar to the Pope being selected. Tried to be a little creative there. LOL!!!

Was at work... with a bunch of bitter Yankee fans. :furious: