SportsWrath

Did they cancel the season?

xxi-xxv

Jesus Christmas, I am out in my car tonight running some errands and I put on 1050 ESPN radio, Of course they are the Jet station and now known as the "home of Bret Favre" but I need a football fix with the Osi shit and all. So here is a synopsis of what I heard, paraphrasing of course

host(some yahoo who I forget who he is) Well folks I just have the feel that this is the year where the Giants go 6-10 and the Jets are the 11-5 team with a home playoff game and all. The Giants have gone in 7 months from an unlikely SB champion and team on the rise to now having this Osi situation and having to deal with the fact that the Jets on the other side of town now have Brett Favre.

I almost drove off the road. Now, no doubt that losing OSI is a big loss and we will have to make up that pass rush elsewhere, but lets keep a few things in persepective here, #1, was there ever a team that seemed to be able to ovrcome injuries at key positions better than the 2007 SB Giants? We lost 2 starters and 1 key backup in Kiwi, Shockey and Ward. We played a playoff game on the road in week 1 of the playoffs minues out starting C and starting CB and with a very weakened SLB in Mitchell(who was playing that position for KIWI). #2, Does Mathias Kiwinauka not posses the skills to at the very least replace OSI in certain situations and #3 I love Osi and all, he really truly is great, but and this is a huge but, this is 2 injuries in 3 seasons now, of his 13 sacks last year 6 came in one game against a complete bum and we still do not know how he responds to more double teams now that Strahan is gone, now I know that that seems like its harsh, but if you are going to go the flip side that the Giants are done you at the least have to raise these points if not to play devils advocate with your audience.

Now to the Favre comment. I still do not know what a 39 year old Qb, whom we BEAT to get to the SB playing for a team that also plays in NY has anything to do with the Giants? Anyway thats where he lost me, but then The crypt keeper John Clayton came on and this made me laugh, now he is entitled to his opinion but this was a little over the top

Clayton(this is a direct quote) "this now makes the Giants #4 in the NFC east" WOW <_<

THis is not to minimalize what has happened, this sucks, it sucks donkey balls. I for one though am not buying into t he idea that this one injury changes everything.

I couldn't agree more. I cam in tonight and we talked about Osi. He said ":Thats gonna hurt the Giants bad".

I said not really, it's a defensive end and we get pressure from everywhere in our scheeme"

"Yeah, but it's a big name."

Me> :huh:

I hate to say this, but osi was a bit over rated imo, like you pointed out, half his sacks he got in one game. No doubt this will hurt and it's a big loss, even for just his reputation to keep teams focusing on him and not Tuck, but we will not lose 1 extra game this year because Osi isn't playing.

let them bury us like they did last year, x. all of this is music to my ears. i had a few friends call me today (non-giants fans) to tell me we're done. i just say 'yup, it looks pretty bad for us.'

its never a good time for an injury like this to happen, but before the season starts is much better than the last half for this to happen. spags will come up with solutions, i'm confident of that.

but, by all means, let the press play taps for us.

I couldn't agree more. I cam in tonight and we talked about Osi. He said ":Thats gonna hurt the Giants bad".

I said not really, it's a defensive end and we get pressure from everywhere in our scheeme"

"Yeah, but it's a big name."

Me> :huh:

I hate to say this, but osi was a bit over rated imo, like you pointed out, half his sacks he got in one game. No doubt this will hurt and it's a big loss, even for just his reputation to keep teams focusing on him and not Tuck, but we will not lose 1 extra game this year because Osi isn't playing.

Dude, nothing against Osi but I've thought that all along. We're some sick fans I tell you that. :unsure:

I don't know I think losing Osi is going to hurt us.

I mean we lost both are starting DEs from last year, the two starting DE that helped to bring that pressure that made our D look so good. Now with Strah and Osi gone that leaves Tuck who in my mind is still needs to prove he can handle the full time DE role and also either Wynn or Kiwi. Now why I think it hurt us is last year they had to pretty much worry about Osi and Strah and keep their eye on both of them freeing up the blits for our LB and also Tuck. Tuck is now going to be schemed against and not be free like he was with Osi and Strah on his wings.

I hope that Tuck does step up and show he is a dominate force but our D thrives off getting pressure on the QB and with only Tuck to worry about it's going to make the opposing O job that much easier. Yes I think Spags will be able to come up with some blitz schemes and packages but it just wont be the same with Osi commanding his presence off the edge.

But who knows, for all we know they move Kiwi back to DE and it works out fine, but I do think losing Osi is going to hurt our D in away.

I don't think Osi is overatted, yeah half his sacks came in one game. Only because Andy Reid is the only coach in the NFL dumb of enough to put a LT one on one against Osi. I think Osi is by far the best DE in the NFL not Jared "DWI" Allen or Dwight "career over" Freeney. Osi is probably my favorite player on the team and is just sick athletically, Strahan even said if Osi could put it all together he could be better then Mike was, on more then one occassion. Make no mistake this hurts bad.