8/14 Practice Report

jranieli

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08...ice_report.html

NY Giants: 8/14 practice report

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Thursday August 14, 2008, 5:00 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. - Your Thursday practice report:

COUGHLIN ON OLIVEA

*Coach Tom Coughlin was asked about the team's placing OT Shane Olivea (back) on IR with the intention of releasing him with an injury settlement when he gets healthy.

"We had an extended amount of time here where we tried to improve his situation and it didn't seem like we were getting very far," Coughlin said. "It's very unfortunate because we thought when we first brought Shane in it would be something where both parties would benefit. You add a veteran and you have a guy that's going through some things and was anxious to really start his career over. We thought this was the right situation. We worked him out, he was in outstanding shape, we didn't think there was going to be any down time whatsoever. And the unfortunate thing is, on his best practice, that very evening he couldn't come back to practice. It's unfortunate, but we wished him well and hopefully he'll get himself back to where he feels good about having an opportunity."

COUGHLIN ON COUGHLIN

*Coughlin also gve a statement on the reports of his being sent threatening letters:

"As far as the off-the-field issue that has my name involved in it, the only thing I'll say is I received two different letters, I turned them over to the league authorities, as was recommended, and it's in their hands. That's all I can tell you. Whoever leakes this information or put it out there did not inform me that this was going to take place. That's all I can tell you."

INJURIES

*WRs Amani Toomer (knee), Mario Manningham (quad), Steve Smith (groin) and David Tyree (knee/PUP), CB Sam Madison (sports hernia), LB Jonathan Goff (back) and K Lawrence Tynes (leg) did not practice.

*RB Derrick Ward (knee) was back in action, as expected.

*And LT David Diehl (ribs) was back and with the first team for the start of team drills but left for the second round. T Adam Koets replaced him. Diehl came back later on.

THE STARTERS

*Welcome to the first section, LB Gerris Wilkinson. He was working with the starters on the weak side for the first time since the start of camp. LB Danny Clark was with the second team before working with both the backups and starters at all three LB spots.

*CB Corey Webster stayed with WR Domenik Hixon on a fade from QB Eli Manning. Webster got a piece of the ball, just enough to knock it away. Late in practice, Webster played another fade from Manning to Hixon perfectly.

*S Kenny Phillips must be reading everything people are saying about him. Today, during individual drills, he tried to showboat by making a one-handed INT and dropped it. S Sammy Knight had one go through both hands and yelled at himself before I could even think about saying, "Ouch."

*LB Mathias Kiwanuka will be picking pieces of RB Kay-Jay Harris out of his facemask later today after absolutely mauling Harris on a blitz for what would have been a sack of QB Andre Woodson.

*TE Kevin Boss made a leaping catch that he had to wrestle away from LB Antonio Pierce on a flag pattern from Manning. A few plays later, Boss made a juggling catch on a ball Manning delivered a bit behind him.

*Manning threw high of WR Brandon London on the last play of practice. London was open.

THE BACKUPS

*CB Kevin Dockery stepped in front of WR Michael Jennings on a rollout comeback to break up the pass. And great coverage by Dockery late in practice on a fade to Hixon.

*RB Reuben Droughns went the wrong way on a handoff up the middle from QB David Carr, who knew which was the play was supposed to go and tapped Droughns on the helmet in a "Come on, think," kind of way. Droughns later had a drop on a screen pass.

*Carr is not without sin, of course. He fired over London's head on an in route. Carr was expecting a post or something. Knight tried to make a diving INT but couldn't quite get there.

*Carr recovered to tease Knight by inches once again. This time, it was a great pass to WR Craphonso Thorpe up the seam that Carr laid beautifully over Knight.

*CB and new papa R.W. McQuarters jumped a hook route in the red zone for an INT on a pass from Wright.

THE YOUNG GUYS

*DE Wallace Gilberry beat Koets for a sack. That's a meeting of two guys I've been praising for having a good camp. Guess I have to praise Gilberry just a tad more today. I've had Gilberry on my imaginary final roster since early in camp and I'm keeping him there, baby!

*Then again, DE Alex Morrow keeps on making plays. Today, he had an awesome tip and INT of a ball from QB Anthony Wright. Morrow reached up and hot a hand on it then caught his own deflection and started to return it.

*London had another awesome practice. And he actually called this one. After a catch early in practice, he yelled, "I'm going to get me some today." He was right, as he caught several balls over the middle, to the outside and up the seam. Again, I don't see how he makes the roster (barring a trade of WR Sinorice Moss or Manningham to IR), but he looks like he belongs.

*Wait a sec: Gilberry just scored some toughness points by grappling with G Grey Ruegamer in the second fight of camp. Both players were grabbing each other's facemask, which didn't please Coughlin, who yelled for them to let go. They did, but not after Ruegamer got a punch in, which must have hurt his hand more than Gilberry's helmet.

*LB Zak DeOssie went up to pick off a pass from Woodson to London. Woodson just didn't float it well enough like Carr-to-Thorpe earlier. DeOssie returned the INT with London tugging on the back of his jersey. Coughlin yelled at London to stop that. So to recap: no grabbing facemasks or backs of jerseys. Eyelids, lips, noses and other areas that will hurt are apparently still in play.

MG

S Sammy Knight had one go through both hands and yelled at himself before I could even think about saying, "Ouch."

This is why we need Kenny Phillips attitude or not, this kid is the best safety prospect we have had in awhile.

*TE Kevin Boss made a leaping catch that he had to wrestle away from LB Antonio Pierce on a flag pattern from Manning. A few plays later, Boss made a juggling catch on a ball Manning delivered a bit behind him.

*Manning threw high of WR Brandon London on the last play of practice. London was open.

:brooding: