SportsWrath

Alfonso Soriano

Virginia Giant

I'd love to have him back on the Yanks, but Cano's upside is bigger, he's much younger.

I took Vidro on my fantasy team, because I thought this might happen.

EvilEmpire.jpg

Vidro is starting at second no matter what.

I don't know what his problem is. Left field is much easier, its not like he's a gold glove at 2nd base. Does anyone know his reasoning?

He wants his way and wants an excuse to get the hell out of that horrible hitters ballpark in his contract year. His stats no matter what should fall down pretty dramatically.

this a big step for baseball. soriano should b offended about switching to left. first, soriano was a shortstop in the yanks farm system. he was moved to second so SHOWOFFY PRETTY DEREK JETER COULD STAY AT SHORT. I HATE JETER. LOVE THE YANKS GO FIGURE. he was not pleased with it, but willie randolph coached him through it. so he played 3 years as a decent second baseman with mvp potenital at batting. he was traded for a-rod. he then played in texas for 2 seasons where he continued to produce, but did struggle at 2nd, which isnt surprising since he just made the switch 3 years prior. now he is criticized for not wanting to move again. its insane. soriano is absolutely right. if hes not gonna play 2nd, trade him. get a left fielder.

I'd love to have him back on the Yanks, but Cano's upside is bigger, he's much younger.

I took Vidro on my fantasy team, because I thought this might happen.

EvilEmpire.jpg

That's complete bullshit and you should know that. There is no way Cano will ever reach Alfonso Soriano's value. Soriano was the only 30/30 player in the majors last year. Cano is 23 while Soriano is only 30. Cano will never reach Alfonso Soriano's ability, and any casual observer can say that. The most Cano can do is hit for a better average, which isn't saying much.

That's complete bullshit and you should know that. There is no way Cano will ever reach Alfonso Soriano's value. Soriano was the only 30/30 player in the majors last year. Cano is 23 while Soriano is only 30. Cano will never reach Alfonso Soriano's ability, and any casual observer can say that. The most Cano can do is hit for a better average, which isn't saying much.

I think he was talking defensivly, which a one armed retard would be a better defender at second than Soriano.

Now he says he'll play left field:

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) - Alfonso Soriano took his spot in left field for an exhibition game Wednesday, agreeing to play the new position for the Washington Nationals two days after refusing to move from second base.

"It's a relief for everybody, it really is," manager Frank Robinson said before the Nationals played the St. Louis Cardinals. "We get the distractions away from here and we can focus on baseball now and getting this ballclub tuned up and ready to go for opening day."

Soriano led off the game and flied out. He was the last player out of the dugout for the bottom of the first inning, loping to his new post, and did not get any plays in the field.

Before the game, Soriano did not comment on his move. He was all smiles as players stretched and took batting practice, and he also signed several autographs.

Soriano was an AL All-Star the last four years at second base, and played there this spring for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. He has never played the outfield in a major league game.

The Nationals got Soriano in an offseason trade with Texas. Washington already has an established second baseman, three-time All-Star Jose Vidro.

Robinson said he gave Soriano the option of not playing Wednesday and making his outfield debut on Thursday for a home game. But he said Soriano wanted to get started now.

"All I wanted to know from him was, was he willing to play left field," Robinson said. "He said he was ready to go, he wanted to get at-bats and get out there and play."

Robinson said he considered the position move permanent to the point he doesn't even consider him the backup at second base.

"We're doing it for the season," Robinson said. "We didn't ask him to do it for today, that's not the answer we wanted."

Robinson said he'd be patient with Soriano if he struggles at his new position. All he wanted to see was effort.

"Just knowing him for a brief period of time I feel like he's going to go out there and give it 110 percent," Robinson said. "We're not talking about a Gold Glove or anything like that, just go out there and do the best you possibly can."

Robinson said Soriano never really took a "defiant" stand in conversations with the team. He said it just took time for the team's desire to sink in.

"I told him you have to understand our side of it, and I think now he does," Robinson said. "It makes us a much better ballclub."

Soriano had been scheduled to make his first spring appearance on Monday night against the Dodgers. But after being listed on the lineup card in left field, he refused to play.

General manager Jim Bowden had threatened to put Soriano on the disqualified list, which would prevent him from playing, accruing service time and receiving his $10 million salary.