SportsWrath

Giants vs Mets

jranieli

Good game for the Mets. Especially off of Lincicum. He is just not hitting his spots tonight. Pelfrey has to be impressive. The 7th has been a problem for him. This will be big if he gets through 7.

the only reason that one would have a sense of optimism for the mets heading in was if everyone pitched to their abilities we had far better pitching than the phils. if these guys really are coming together as a staff, and we continue to get timely hitting we could win the NL West East.

don't take this as a proclamation... its the truth.

Looking at what the guys that Omar gave up for Santana are doing that deal looks even more impressive when you consider they managed to keep Pelfrey, who seems to be showing why he was a #1 pick. I think its about learning how to pitch with him and in his case he has done it at the major league level.

Looking at what the guys that Omar gave up for Santana are doing that deal looks even more impressive when you consider they managed to keep Pelfrey, who seems to be showing why he was a #1 pick. I think its about learning how to pitch with him and in his case he has done it at the major league level.

Mike Pelfery is really turning in to a Dominant Pitcher..........If he can get his curvball like he had it at WSU then i see Pelfery wining 15 games this year.............The mets will win The NL east i have no doubts. And we arnt even all the way healthy guys HAHAHHAhHAH..When we get Ryan Church, and Alou get healthy its a wrap... And anyone here If Elduqe will pitch this year?????????? We can really use him and Matt wise in the Bullpen. LETS GOOO METS 1st place by the allstar game

Mike Pelfery is really turning in to a Dominant Pitcher..........If he can get his curvball like he had it at WSU then i see Pelfery wining 15 games this year.............The mets will win The NL east i have no doubts. And we arnt even all the way healthy guys HAHAHHAhHAH..When we get Ryan Church, and Alou get healthy its a wrap... And anyone here If Elduqe will pitch this year?????????? We can really use him and Matt wise in the Bullpen. LETS GOOO METS 1st place by the allstar game

Dude we just better hope that Church's brains aren't mush yet.

A friend I know who works in media at MSG network has informed me someone in the know has told some media people that the Mets are in serious discussion to attempt to acquire Matt Holiday. Apparently the Rockies are interested in Aaron Heilman as a starter and would accept a deal centered around him and other outfield prospects(Martinez, Evans etc.) and possibly another starter on the minor league level (Neise?). Take it for what its worth and my friend is certainly no one special in the media, but this is just stuff he has heard as off the record things.

As for the idea of it, it would weaken the pen, but if El Duque could come back and pitch the 6th 7th type thing and maybe Kunz? Who knows. All I know is that this team is begging for a left field power bat.

A friend I know who works in media at MSG network has informed me someone in the know has told some media people that the Mets are in serious discussion to attempt to acquire Matt Holiday. Apparently the Rockies are interested in Aaron Heilman as a starter and would accept a deal centered around him and other outfield prospects(Martinez, Evans etc.) and possibly another starter on the minor league level (Neise?). Take it for what its worth and my friend is certainly no one special in the media, but this is just stuff he has heard as off the record things.

As for the idea of it, it would weaken the pen, but if El Duque could come back and pitch the 6th 7th type thing and maybe Kunz? Who knows. All I know is that this team is begging for a left field power bat.

Niese Heilman and Evans/Karp. im still not willing to trade fernando.

if heilman goes i think kunz may be the successor. some firearm from the minors probably.

as of next year we have three set starters (pelf maine and santana) so god knows we could really use a guy like niese if he is flying up as fast as he has been.

would you do it?

Christ- you guys are killing us. Shades of 2000 playoffs when the Mets shut us out for 17 straight innings. (except we were good then). No worries though, we have Zito on the hill today. :blink:

Btw, I said the Mets were capable of running off a streak before the all star break. My statement was met with negativity. It's a long season. Ya gotta believe.

With the way Tatis has been mashing the ball, (another go-ahead homerun today) we may not even need Holliday! Go Fernando! These Mets are running on all cylinders right now.

For the record, blu, I never gave up hope... I had my moments of extreme disappointment, but I never thought that the Mets were incapable of turning it around. The Mets are so close to going ahead in the division. It is very exciting right now. Six in a row and we have Colorado next.

Best tonic for a slumping team is some good hitting weather, good starting pitching and shitty teams. Thanks Blu, your team is putrid. Although I think they have some great young arms and should be good down the road.

Few things.

Tatis is no long term answer in the OF

We need an Ofer now with Alou out for the year and Church such a question mark.

I knew(as I said at the start of the Angels series)this team was due to run off a streak and felt it.

Now for reality and that cold splash of water. They are still 1.5 games out, they still have to erase the stench of 2007 and they will still ultimately despite what anyone thinks will have to get at least 1 bat for the OF, but they are playing better and seem like they care.

Plus El Duque is coming back. You did not think with Alou down now Omar did not have another 42 year old latin waiting in the wings did ya?

Best tonic for a slumping team is some good hitting weather, good starting pitching and shitty teams. Thanks Blu, your team is putrid. Although I think they have some great young arms and should be good down the road.

so eloquently put as usual. i'm glad this is happening. there had been mumbles of us going for some players to try to win the very weak nl west. now, there will be no such crazy talk. and we will be sellers.

randy winn anyone? actually, i think he has to approve the venue so forget that.

so eloquently put as usual. i'm glad this is happening. there had been mumbles of us going for some players to try to win the very weak nl west. now, there will be no such crazy talk. and we will be sellers.

randy winn anyone? actually, i think he has to approve the venue so forget that.

I heard Mike Krukow on WFAN the other day say that the Giants may shut Lincecum down at 200 Ip just to keep the arm fresh, but up the stamina at 200 IP. Smart move imo.

I think the Giants are really going to be good with those arms and I think Sabean who in 2001-2002 was one of the best GM's in the game has something to prove again with some of the questionable deals he has made since the 2002 WS(Joe Nathan in particular).

I will always have a soft spot for the Giants in my heart as thats where my familys NY NL baseball roots stem from.

I for one would not want Randy Winn.

Niese Heilman and Evans/Karp. im still not willing to trade fernando.

if heilman goes i think kunz may be the successor. some firearm from the minors probably.

as of next year we have three set starters (pelf maine and santana) so god knows we could really use a guy like niese if he is flying up as fast as he has been.

would you do it?

I have a theory and its just my own little thought which means jack shit, but here it is. Its always harder to find good young top of the rotation starting pitching then it is to find offense, so if the oppurtunity presents itself to get a player you covet, but it means giving up a first rate pitching prospect I say no. I can always get offense and bats through free agency or somewhere else.

Now with that being said here is the question. DO you think a guy like Heilman will be a top of the rotation starter? My gut tells me no and as for Neise? I would be remiss to say I know anything about him other than what I saw in ST and the stats I see, my gut tells me no. Now Martinez? Well he goes with my offensive theory, I can always fine a Carlos Martinez somewhere. SO with that being said I say YES. For Matt Holliday, a 20 something terrific left field, yeah its a no brainer. Neise intrigues me, but not enough to not do this deal simply based on the fact we do have some nice young starters and of course Santana.

I have a theory and its just my own little thought which means jack shit, but here it is. Its always harder to find good young top of the rotation starting pitching then it is to find offense, so if the oppurtunity presents itself to get a player you covet, but it means giving up a first rate pitching prospect I say no. I can always get offense and bats through free agency or somewhere else.

Now with that being said here is the question. DO you think a guy like Heilman will be a top of the rotation starter? My gut tells me no and as for Neise? I would be remiss to say I know anything about him other than what I saw in ST and the stats I see, my gut tells me no. Now Martinez? Well he goes with my offensive theory, I can always fine a Carlos Martinez somewhere. SO with that being said I say YES. For Matt Holliday, a 20 something terrific left field, yeah its a no brainer. Neise intrigues me, but not enough to not do this deal simply based on the fact we do have some nice young starters and of course Santana.

He is not a good LF, he is pretty bad in the outfield. All he has is that home bat and he stats drastically go down away from Coors. I still say no on him.

I heard Mike Krukow on WFAN the other day say that the Giants may shut Lincecum down at 200 Ip just to keep the arm fresh, but up the stamina at 200 IP. Smart move imo.

I think the Giants are really going to be good with those arms and I think Sabean who in 2001-2002 was one of the best GM's in the game has something to prove again with some of the questionable deals he has made since the 2002 WS(Joe Nathan in particular).

I will always have a soft spot for the Giants in my heart as thats where my familys NY NL baseball roots stem from.

I for one would not want Randy Winn.

mo brainer on lincecum seeing as we're not playing for any prize.

winn won't ok the mets- thinks shea is a hole (go figure) so it's a moot point. yankees maybe.

The big debate on WFAN tonight is whether the Mets should give up Pelfrey for Holiday. For the love of God can we develop ONE freaking pitcher inside the organization? I couldn't believe the number of moron fans I heard say they would do that deal.

a name i like is nelson cruz. teams like the cardinals and twins always find their ways into contention by taking highly touted players that failed with one organization and make them thrive in theirs. its about time we start applying that.

I say no on Holliday. He would really deplete our minor league system for one, and secondly I don't see the urgent need. Tatis has responded well. He has over 100 AB's and while he is no Holliday he is still hitting over .300 and has shown good pop. We've won at least 3 games because of Tatis coming up big. I like the guy and I think we can ride a Tatis/Chavez platoon for this year. As xxi, I don't see him as a long term solution either, but for this year, with what he's shown me, I think I can ride him and Endy through the end of the season and come what may... I can roll the dice with that. We definitely don't send Pelfrey, and I don't like seeing Heilman go either. As bad as he's pitched at times, there are other times where he seems just unhittable. If we do that deal, then Fuentes has to be included to replace Heilman, and I don't know that it really makes us significantly better. Certainly we need another outfield bat but the hope is that the bat is Church. Hopefully he gets everything cleared, we need him, and more importantly, you want to see a good player and good kid like him get be healthy and not continue to suffer from a scary injury.

a name i like is nelson cruz. teams like the cardinals and twins always find their ways into contention by taking highly touted players that failed with one organization and make them thrive in theirs. its about time we start applying that.

Nelson Cruz? Really? Last year he had a 4 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio and he's not a pitcher! :ph34r: Couple that with a .287 OBP and can't we find a player as good as him in AA?

Don't forget about Pagan who is progressing exceptionally well after opting out of season ending shoulder surgery. Looks like his rehab is working and will not need any work done. He also might be back on the roster after the all star break.

Don't forget about Pagan who is progressing exceptionally well after opting out of season ending shoulder surgery. Looks like his rehab is working and will not need any work done. He also might be back on the roster after the all star break.

It will be nice to get Pagan back as a little insurance. I'm more than comfortable with a Beltran, Church, Tatis, Endy, Pagan group of outfielders. Extra nice is that both Endy and Pagan can be used as late inning defensive replacements or pinch runners, and also that Tatis can play the infield.