SportsWrath

Mets (30-32) vs. Diamondbacks (34-30) 7:10 PM

RandolphScott

Game Preview

Don't call him Einstein for deducing as much, but a theory held by former Mets manager Bobby Valentine was that once a player comes off the disabled list, they are more likely than anyone else to land back on it.

For example, he saw players aggravate the same injury. They tried to protect the hobbled part by instead exerting too much force on one or more of the body's other gears. And the older you get, chances only increase that you will limp off the field once, twice or maybe three times over with separate and totally unrelated ailments.

On Tuesday vs. Arizona, 41-year-old Moises Alou expects to come off the DL for the second time this season, and, even if he despises any potential "injury-prone" labels, he fits many of the basic premises of Valentine's hypothesis. And it's the probability that Alou reinjures his left calf, or hurts something else entirely, which has to worry current Mets manager Willie Randolph.

So far, Randolph has seen both sides of the equation. Pedro Martinez has returned from a two-month, left-hamstring injury to make two pain-free starts. Johan Santana fully expects to make his next start on the mound, too, despite getting his left shoulder plunked on Friday. But, then again, right fielder Ryan Church missed the second half of the Padres series because his on-again, off-again head issues were once again pounding the rhythm of a "heartbeat" in his head.

With a thinning platoon of alternate bats, Randolph can't do without the middle-of-the-order protection Alou's .340 average can provide for third baseman David Wright and center fielder Carlos Beltran. Not now, especially when the Mets are coming off of three identically lackluster offensive performances in three 2-1 losses to the Padres, followed by a crushing blown save by Billy Wagner, only to face the NL West-leading Diamondbacks.

Despite recent lowlights, including Sunday's series-capping and fourth straight loss to the Padres -- in a series devoid of San Diego's best arms, the injured Jake Peavy and the resting Greg Maddux -- Randolph isn't going to concede to the notion of a slump just yet.

Showdowns with Diamondback ace Brandon Webb and solid-second Dan Haren are on the docket, and Randolph said baseball's ebbs and flows could take his struggling team in another direction.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them both," Randolph said of Webb and Haren, who are a combined 17-6. "That's baseball."

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP John Maine (6-4, 3.47 ERA)

Maine defeated the Giants rather methodically on Wednesday in San Francisco, winning for the first time in four starts. He could have been more effective, but he was effective enough, walking one and allowing seven hits and two runs, one unearned, in six innings. He has a 2-1 record and 2.50 ERA in three career starts against the D-backs.

ARI: RHP Micah Owings (6-4, 4.50 ERA)

Owings was roughed up by the Brewers Wednesday afternoon at Miller Park. He left too many pitches up and out over the middle of the plate and paid for it by allowing five runs, four earned, on eight hits in three innings. He didn't have his best stuff against the Nationals and battled through 6 1/3 innings in his previous start. It turned on a three-run home run Willie Harris hit in the seventh. Owings now has lost three of his last four decisions.

Tidbits

This date in Mets history -- June 9: In the 51st game in their history, the Mets scored in double digits for the first time on this date in 1962. And they won, too, beating the Cubs, 11-6, at Wrigley Field. Marvelous Marv Throneberry had three hits and a sacrifice fly. ... Ten years later, the Mets scored four times in the eighth inning to beat the Padres, 4-2, behind Tom Seaver at Shea Stadium. ... On this date in 1973, the Mets beat the Dodgers, 4-2, at Shea with Willie Mays hitting his first home run of the season, the 655th of his career and the last of the 72 he hit against the Dodgers. Rusty Staub drove in the other runs. ... On June 9, 1975, the Giants scored four unearned runs in the ninth inning, following an error by Jerry Koosman and a two-run rally by the Mets in the top of the inning. They won, 5-4. ... Craig Swan allowed seven singles and no walks and pitched a complete game in the Mets' 4-0 victory against the Astros at Shea on this date in 1979. ... Jason Isringhausen pitched a six-hit -- all singles -- shutout on this date in 1996. He beat the Marlins, walking none and striking out 10 in a 3-0 victory at Shea. ... And on this date in 2000, Mike Piazza hit a grand slam against Roger Clemens in the Mets' 12-2 victory at Yankee Stadium.

Link

Game Preview

Even as the Mets were about to lose their fifth straight game, even with the gap between them and the first-place Phillies reaching 7 1/2 games, manager Willie Randolph wasn't about to rethink whether his team is just destined to be a .500 club.

It's not in his nature to doubt, he said. And even with the National League West's best team visiting Shea Stadium for three games, and Diamondbacks ace Brandon Webb set to take the hill on Wednesday, Randolph wishes to see every fleeting positive among a heap of negatives surrounding this current string of losses.

Even if all of the Mets' current vital signs don't point to a turnaround -- such as eight men left on base and four decisive runs surrendered by New York's bullpen on Tuesday -- Randolph hopes that Arizona, 5-5 during its last 10 games, can still help slide a few tallies into New York's win column before the series ends.

"Teams go up and down, like they have, like the Diamondbacks have, like Seattle," Randolph said before Tuesday's game, trying to muster a few correlations between his team and the grand scheme of the baseball universe, where the Mariners are also a preseason disappointment considering their 23-42 record.

"The Phillies are playing great right now, but I doubt they will play like that all year. Maybe our time is coming. Then, we'll all feel better about the team, and everybody will be happy."

First of all, Randolph said he doesn't think this is necessarily the same D-backs squad that has shot to the top of its division. In Arizona's last two series, it was swept by Milwaukee and split a four-game series in Pittsburgh.

But the D-backs came out swinging on Tuesday, as they had 10 hits for only the second time in their past 24 games in the 9-5 win. After a not-so-positive start to the series, Randolph's pregame hopes are still aimed at getting some consistent play out of his bunch -- even if it means taking away some muster from the opposing team.

"Just because they played well early, doesn't mean they will play well now," Randolph said. "We are hoping they stay down for a while and we can kind of fatten up on them a little bit.

"It's time for us to embarrass someone else this week -- return the favor."

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-6, 4.65 ERA)

Pelfrey allowed only one run in his last start vs. the Padres on Thursday, but it wasn't as much of a gem as that solitary total would indicate, as he allowed 11 base runners during six innings of work. But Pelfrey has definitely pitched well enough in three of his five most recent starts, accumulating a 1.74 ERA in 20 2/3 innings -- even if those performances weren't enough to get him any better than a loss and two no-decisions. In fact, Pelfrey still has yet to record a win since April 15 after starting the season with two victories.

ARI: RHP Brandon Webb (11-2, 2.58 ERA)

Webb became the Major Leagues' first 11-game winner with his second straight effective start on June 6, holding Pittsburgh to one run and three hits over seven innings and driving in a run during Arizona's 3-1 win. The D-backs' ace has allowed only one extra-base hit in his last two starts, which include one run surrendered on nine hits over a combined 16 innings. In 69 2/3 careers innings vs. the Mets, Webb has been equally effective -- boasting a 2.58 ERA -- but his record doesn't reflect that, as he is currently 3-6 in 10 careers starts against New York.

Tidbits

Third baseman David Wright is still the only player in the Major Leagues who has played every inning of every game this season. An impressive feat, but with warm weather ready to take a little bit out of the Mets' No. 3 hitter, Randolph knows he has to find a game to rest Wright. But with utility infielder Abraham Nunez designated for assignment on Tuesday night, that takes away one option the Mets' manager might have had to give Wright a blow. Still, Randolph reiterated on Tuesday that his players want to play, they want and need to win, and "nobody is looking for off-days." ... In their last seven starts, the Mets' starting rotation has a 3.20 ERA in 39 1/3 innings of work. And despite John Maine's five-inning showing on Tuesday, the Mets' starters have pitched into the sixth inning in 21 of their last 32 games. ... After throwing out Diamondbacks left fielder Jeff Salazar on Tuesday, Mets catcher Brian Schneider has sniped down 13 of his 27 potential runners.

This day in Mets history ...

June 11, 1985, is an ominous day for New York pitching, as the Mets allowed the most hits and earned runs in team history. In a game at Philadelphia, the Mets surrendered 24 earned runs on 27 hits. And on June 11, 1967, New York's arms gave up a club-record seven home runs to Chicago.

Linky

This is no good, this is horrible. The Mets have so much potential. Church needs to speed up, so does Valentin. How do they come back from this? Win a couple games, get their confidence back up.

Randolph is a much better Manager than we give him credit for. He just uses what he's given. Why is it his fault that the bullpen can't get any scoreless outings? Why is it his fault that the team can't hit in the clutch?

Pelfrey is dominating tonight. No matter what happens, he's given this team 6 shut out innings, so in my book he's done his job. This is why you don't give up on a guy like Pelfrey. He still has so much potential, and this makes 3 starts in a row that he has been brilliant. If you look at his games this year, he's really shown a lot of promise. He's had his bad starts, but he is quietly putting together a solid season.

Make that 8 shutout innings for Pelf tonight, and he owns the runner at first here in the 9th, so worse case scenario, if Wagner allows the run, is 1 ER in 8 innings. Hopefully Wagner can shut the door here so Pelf can preserve his 8 innings of shutout work. Job well done for Pelfrey tonight!

Un-f-ing believable. Darling said it perfectly, "What else can happen to these Mets?" I just can't believe it, but at the same time, I can. Watching the Mets, no matter what the lead is, you just end up thinking, "How are they going to blow this lead tonight." I f-ing give up. XXI, you were right all along, this team sucks, Wagner sucks, I can't stand to watch this shit anymore.

This was going to be one of those bright spot games on an otherwise sour season so far. Pelfrey has to ask what the "f" else do I have to do? Once again, he gets f-ed over on a raw deal from this stupid bullpen.

Every game ask yourself, "What's the worst thing that could happen?" Then watch it unfold before your very eyes.

No matter what, even if they get a walk-off win tonight, Pelfrey will feel absoluted deflated, and he has a right to feel that way. He pitched the game of his life tonight and deserves so much better. How else can we just crush this kid's confidence?

Unfuckenbelivable..... I get into the hotel room, just to see Wags blow it...... I should have stayed in the bar

So what you're saying is, as soon as you left the bar, Wagner gives up a game-tying homerun? :brooding: From now on, when we are winning, you are not to leave your spot. You keep your ass firmly planted where you are, you get me?! :furious:

When are the rest of Mets fans going to realize that every big moment this team has had since 2006 has been pissed on by Wagner.

game 2 2006 NLCS, he was beaten so bad that his manager was afraid to use him in a closer situation in game 7(tie game at home).

Mets trying to avoid a 4 game sweep against the Phils in June 07, he blows a 2 run lead and loses

Mets trying to avoid a 4 game sweep against the Phils in Aug 07, he blows a 3 run lead and complains about pitching in the 8th

THis guy is a fraud, a complete and absolute stat padder. Looking at this mans Met career and his post season numbers(no fucking saves as an Astro EVER)he has never ever ever saved a big game must win. Oh sure he rocks when its a 3 run lead entering the 9th with no one on and facing the 7th, 8th and 9th hitters, but in a big spot he blows chunks. There is no needed proof for this, its all there to see.

Man Schneider has some stick.

Anyone have the NFLN? Super Bowl 42 is on. helps the depression of watching this team.

no but i really have to order that dvd package.

between the bad news the last few days with the gmen and this its been really tough.

no but i really have to order that dvd package.

between the bad news the last few days with the gmen and this its been really tough.

The Giants bad news is fixable, this mess(as a certain someone said it would be <_< )needs to be broken down from the core up.

The Giants bad news is fixable, this mess(as a certain someone said it would be <_< )needs to be broken down from the core up.

it can happen within the next two years. the cubs were god awful two years ago and made the playoffs the next year.

im still nervous about the whole situation because i do expect stuff out of this team this year. especially the fact that it is plax because watching him and eli grow together has been spceial and i dont want that to be hindered by anything...

Heilman coming into the game. Game over.

Seriously, there were like 3 people singing the "Jose, jose, jose, jose" song in that last at bat. How can you people even stand it. I think whoever the other morons that are sticking this one out in the stadium tonight (I would be one of them if I was there), should just back hand anyone singing that song or any other at this point.

I'm only 31, but I will be 32 in a month. I think I can get a 7 year contract out of Minaya.

shit, 31, thats nothing mere young man. Got any latin blood in you? we can get you 9 years plus an option.

So what you're saying is, as soon as you left the bar, Wagner gives up a game-tying homerun? :brooding: From now on, when we are winning, you are not to leave your spot. You keep your ass firmly planted where you are, you get me?! :furious:

They had the Cubs game on in the bar..... :TD: