SportsWrath

Richie Sexon is a punk.

SEATTLE -- Rangers pitcher Kason Gabbard had to come out of Thursday's start against the Mariners after getting shaken up in a bench-clearing brawl started by Mariners first baseman Richie Sexson.

Gabbard, who was making his first start since coming off the disabled list, left with bruised legs. The back that put him on the DL is fine.

Gabbard had a 4-0 lead when Sexson came to bat with two outs in the fourth. Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez already had hit two Rangers in the game.

Gabbard did not hit Sexson. His first pitch was high, and Sexson ducked away from it. Then he charged Gabbard and threw his helmet at him just before they collided at the base of the mound. The helmet hit Gabbard in his back, and then the left-hander was swarmed under bodies as catcher Gerald Laird tackled Sexson.

Both teams came onto the field amid much yelling. Rangers reliever Eddie Guardado -- a former Mariners pitcher -- tried to make peace. Hernandez and Laird started yelling at each other, and Texas designated hitter Milton Bradley physically carried Laird away from the scene.

Sexson was ejected and replaced by Miguel Cairo. Gabbard walked Cairo and gave up an infield single to Yuniesky Betancourt, and the runners moved up to second and third on shortstop Ramon Vazquez's throwing error.

That's when Gabbard came out and Franklyn German took over. German got Wladimir Balentien on a grounder to third to end the threat.

I can't wait till Padillia is on the mound and puts one in Sexon's ear.

On a side note, props to laird, sounds like he was really sticking up for his guy.

VG this incident has seemed to spur the Rangers on in a positive way. If they keep playing the way they are this will be one of those moments you look back on as a turning point.

I think we were on a pretty good role before the incident, but no doubt it helps. This team for as long as I can remember has responded well to shit like that, but I guess thats most teams.

Was Edison Volquez highly touted when you traded him?

Yeah he was one of our most prized minor league pitchers, great stuff but didn't have "it" when he got his shot at the bigs. He was one of the DVD trio Danks, Volquez and Diamond, only one of the 3 is still with the team, and we wonder why we never win. :brooding:

I think we were on a pretty good role before the incident, but no doubt it helps. This team for as long as I can remember has responded well to shit like that, but I guess thats most teams.

Yeah he was one of our most prized minor league pitchers, great stuff but didn't have "it" when he got his shot at the bigs. He was one of the DVD trio Danks, Volquez and Diamond, only one of the 3 is still with the team, and we wonder why we never win. :brooding:

You can't complain about Josh Hamilton though.

yes, but he was bad all 3 times he got called up

i'll take a pitcher leading the majors in era and k's over a run producer anyday--especially at that park.

It was a win win for both teams really, certainly it sucks to keep trading away top pitchers,but we also needed middle of the order pop. This isn't the 98 rangers, we don't have Gonzalez, Pudge, Clarke, Raffy, Greer, etc to pound out 12 runs every night. Going into the season we had a bunch of unkowns, Bradley comong off an injury, Blalock coming off an injury.

It was a win win for both teams really, certainly it sucks to keep trading away top pitchers,but we also needed middle of the order pop. This isn't the 98 rangers, we don't have Gonzalez, Pudge, Clarke, Raffy, Greer, etc to pound out 12 runs every night. Going into the season we had a bunch of unkowns, Bradley comong off an injury, Blalock coming off an injury.

yeah i hear ya, im not saying the reds won or anything, but personally i'll always take the starting pitcher all things being equal. these days pitching is at such a premium that scrubs are getting 10+ mil a year

• 4 months later...