SportsWrath

Mets vs. Pirates Gameday Thread

RandolphScott

I won't be able to post something from Metsblog.com because I will be going to the game.

LETS GO METS!

No Prob.

preGame: Mets vs Pirates (Game Two)

By Mike Nichols - Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

The Game:

The Mets (14-11) look to sweep their abbreviated two-game series versus the Pirates (10-16) this afternoon at Shea Stadium, game at 1:10 pm EST.

The Lineup:

SS Jose Reyes

2B Luis Castillo

3B David Wright

CF Carlos Beltran

RF Ryan Church

1B Carlos Delgado

LF Angel Pagan

C Gustavo Molina

P Oliver Perez

The Pitchers:

LHP Oliver Perez (2-0, 3.62 ERA) toes the rubber for the Mets. Perez took the loss in his last start on April 24 versus the Nationals, surrendering five runs on six hit and four walks while striking out three over 5.2 IP. Perez is holding left-handed batters to a .095 (2-for-21) batting average this season. In three starts versus his former team, Perez is 0-2 with a 5.14 ERA.

LHP Tom Gorzelanny (1-3, 8.46 ERA) starts for the Pirates. In his last start on April 24 versus the Cardinals, he allowed three runs on two hits while walking seven and striking out four over 5.0 IP. Gorzelanny has walked 22 batters through his first 22.1 IP this season. He is 0-2 with a 10.45 ERA in three career starts versus the Mets.

The Notes:

The Mets are batting .176 (18-for-102) with two outs and RISP this season, which ranks them 15th in the National League. The league average is .227.

For more insight on the Pirates, check out our Blogger Beat.

How To Catch It:

Today’s game can be seen locally on SNY and heard locally on WFAN.

The Bleachers:

For a live chat, head over to The Hot Foot Bleachers.

…enjoy, and as always, Let’s Go Mets…

Now thats the way to end a honestand and start a trip out west :LMAO:

This trainwreck is just about to get interesting, wait till its like May 15th, they are back from a brutal road trip and are closer to the Nats than whoever is in 1st. Willies going to be walking the plank real soon, hopefull the Wilpons have Minaya not far behind.

Now thats the way to end a honestand and start a trip out west :LMAO:

This trainwreck is just about to get interesting, wait till its like May 15th, they are back from a brutal road trip and are closer to the Nats than whoever is in 1st. Willies going to be walking the plank real soon, hopefull the Wilpons have Minaya not far behind.

You know who the PHils and BRaves have coming up?

Was watching the end of the game on MLB.com. Cohen and Darling were taking calls and someone asked about trading Delgado. Darling and Cohen politely informed him that there was no way it was going to happen because of Delgado's enormous salary, age/stage in his career, coupled with his lack of production (why would anyone want him). But there was something else they said that I thought was interesting. They said if Delgado is still struggling in a couple of months, it's possible that they could bench Delgado and allow a prospect to play, considering that Delgado is in a contract year (the Mets have a buyout). I immediately thought of Mike Carp. I actually don't know what to root for. Do I root for Delgado to still suck, or for him to turn it around. I definitely don't want him to turn it around so that Minaya thinks its a good idea to keep him around for another two years. Plus, I certainly don't see him producing in the playoffs when we face good pitchers on a nightly basis (assuming we make the playoffs, which of course I cannot do).

Was watching the end of the game on MLB.com. Cohen and Darling were taking calls and someone asked about trading Delgado. Darling and Cohen politely informed him that there was no way it was going to happen because of Delgado's enormous salary, age/stage in his career, coupled with his lack of production (why would anyone want him). But there was something else they said that I thought was interesting. They said if Delgado is still struggling in a couple of months, it's possible that they could bench Delgado and allow a prospect to play, considering that Delgado is in a contract year (the Mets have a buyout). I immediately thought of Mike Carp. I actually don't know what to root for. Do I root for Delgado to still suck, or for him to turn it around. I definitely don't want him to turn it around so that Minaya thinks its a good idea to keep him around for another two years. Plus, I certainly don't see him producing in the playoffs when we face good pitchers on a nightly basis (assuming we make the playoffs, which of course I cannot do).

playoffs :LMAO:

Root for him to be outrighted and Carp comes up and gets some play.

playoffs :LMAO:

Root for him to be outrighted and Carp comes up and gets some play.

im starting to buy into your selling out the team theory.

almost every team in the league is mediocre right now. I don't think we're any better than anyone, and its clear the dbacks are the class of the NL, maybe even the majors.

teams that are on top now could be set for a long time. the only way we have a prayer of catching up to them or past them is to start restocking the farm.

there'll be a team out there interested in alou.

there's a desperate team out there interested in delgado.

Perez.

Pedro (ok maybe thats a stretch).

Really the only issue that could hamper us from trading those guys is money. If OMar would be willing to swallow the pill and take most of the deal for 08 then he can get some nice young players set for the opening of Citi Field and beyond.

This may actually be an oppurtunity, not a disaster.

im starting to buy into your selling out the team theory.

almost every team in the league is mediocre right now. I don't think we're any better than anyone, and its clear the dbacks are the class of the NL, maybe even the majors.

teams that are on top now could be set for a long time. the only way we have a prayer of catching up to them or past them is to start restocking the farm.

there'll be a team out there interested in alou.

there's a desperate team out there interested in delgado.

Perez.

Pedro (ok maybe thats a stretch).

Really the only issue that could hamper us from trading those guys is money. If OMar would be willing to swallow the pill and take most of the deal for 08 then he can get some nice young players set for the opening of Citi Field and beyond.

This may actually be an oppurtunity, not a disaster.

Well if anyone was interested in Delgado and would be willing to give us 1 half-way decent prospect for us, and we didn't have to pay his salary, I say do it. Otherwise we might as well just sit him. As far as blowing up the whole team goes, I don't know, I think it's too early for that. Like you said, there is a lot of mediocrity in the league, and as bad as we've looked at times, we are right there at a half game out of first. You never know what will happen when Alou comes back if he can provide a spark to the offense, and if and when Pedro comes back how he will do. There is still reason to be optimistic. Duaner's arm is getting stronger. I'm hoping Heilman will return to form. They had mentioned that last year he started the season poorly (not quite this poorly) before rebounding and having a solid year. Beltran hasn't hit yet. Reyes and Wright have been struggling.

Clearly though, Delgado is a problem. And to a lesser degree Castillo (who has begun to hit a little in the last week or two). But one or two weak bats in the lineup isn't necessarily going to kill your season, particularly with superior pitching. Not that we've had that either (the D-Backs have, though). I just think that it's much to soon to give up on the season.

As much optimism I have for this season (believe it or not, I still do), I have more for next year. Because hopefully F-Mart will be ready, but at least Delgado will be gone. Perez and Pedro also will likely not be re-signed. Perez has a chance if he can have a pretty good year this year. But one thing is for sure, the Mets will have a bundle of money coming off the books that they can spend in free agency.

Listen, I am not for blowing up the whole thing and I am not for wanting to lose, its just that reality is reality.

As far as the team its not like they are a total disaster all the way around. They have a nice decent core with Wright, Beltran, Reyes and to a lesser extent Church. The pitching around Santana, Maine and hopefully Pelfrey with some major league innings could get better. Problem is Omar has surronded too much young talent(the above mentioned guys)with too much washed up older talent(Alou, Delgado, Castillo). Its a shame Alou just cannot stay healthy, because he can hit. As for Delgado, the red flags should have gone up when the Marlins offered him. We are stuck with Castillo, with a decent backup and handled right he could be at the least useful.

The player that I think you could get a ransom for is Beltran and the question still remains does he want to really be here? If at this point the answer is no, then maybe at the very least exploring the posibility of moving him comes into play. ANother thing is he is now 30+ and very prone to injury, something that does not get better with age(see Alou).

What about Reyes? Has he peaked? Does he act childish too much? My guess is Reyes is untouchable, but not what he was at the end of 2006.

I think this whole thing about the latin players not dealing with the media is a larger problem than we think. LoDuca hated that the latin guys never were forced to deal with the press in tough times. IMO a team, no matter what the language is wins and loses together and assume their responsibilities as ballplayers. Its seems on this team there is a double standard.

With the Mets money and core players all is not lost, its just that coming off last year I believe its now time to promote Beltran, Reyes and Wright as the veteran leaders and surrond them with young talent, as they were the ones surronding the veterans a few years ago.

Listen, I am not for blowing up the whole thing and I am not for wanting to lose, its just that reality is reality.

As far as the team its not like they are a total disaster all the way around. They have a nice decent core with Wright, Beltran, Reyes and to a lesser extent Church. The pitching around Santana, Maine and hopefully Pelfrey with some major league innings could get better. Problem is Omar has surronded too much young talent(the above mentioned guys)with too much washed up older talent(Alou, Delgado, Castillo). Its a shame Alou just cannot stay healthy, because he can hit. As for Delgado, the red flags should have gone up when the Marlins offered him. We are stuck with Castillo, with a decent backup and handled right he could be at the least useful.

The player that I think you could get a ransom for is Beltran and the question still remains does he want to really be here? If at this point the answer is no, then maybe at the very least exploring the posibility of moving him comes into play. ANother thing is he is now 30+ and very prone to injury, something that does not get better with age(see Alou).

What about Reyes? Has he peaked? Does he act childish too much? My guess is Reyes is untouchable, but not what he was at the end of 2006.

I think this whole thing about the latin players not dealing with the media is a larger problem than we think. LoDuca hated that the latin guys never were forced to deal with the press in tough times. IMO a team, no matter what the language is wins and loses together and assume their responsibilities as ballplayers. Its seems on this team there is a double standard.

With the Mets money and core players all is not lost, its just that coming off last year I believe its now time to promote Beltran, Reyes and Wright as the veteran leaders and surrond them with young talent, as they were the ones surronding the veterans a few years ago.

Good points and I like your line of thinking. I do not agree with a notion of trading Beltran, though, I think he is part of the solution not the problem. All in all, we see the same problems, hopefully Minaya and Willie can figure this thing out. It's funny to me how teams like Oakland, Minnesota and even Florida have trust in their young, unproven stud talent and they come out and perform very well against the big boys, and it translates into wins. You don't ALWAYS have to have a $15 million/year player at every position to win. Talent is talent. Give the kids a chance sometimes.

i was actually thinking of the possibility of trading beltran about a week back when i thought about us re-acquiring Nady. Once Fernando comes up then him or Church could play center, and our corner outfielders would both be solid players that bat right and left handed, and have an idea at the plate.

All of this is contingent on how fast we call up Fernando and how effective he is early.

i was actually thinking of the possibility of trading beltran about a week back when i thought about us re-acquiring Nady. Once Fernando comes up then him or Church could play center, and our corner outfielders would both be solid players that bat right and left handed, and have an idea at the plate.

All of this is contingent on how fast we call up Fernando and how effective he is early.

We would lose a lot defensively if Church were to play center. Fernando, I don't know about his defensive ability. I think the Mets consider Fernando their left fielder of the future. To me, a Martinez, Beltran, and Church outfield looks awfully good. I don't know why you guys want to get rid of Beltran so badly. If we did trade for Nady, they woudn't take Beltran because the Pirates would be looking for prospects, not a player they can't afford to pay. I like the idea of getting Nady back, but I don't know who we could afford to trade for him. I don't want Niese to leave the organization, nor Martinez, and surely the Pirates would want one of those guys. Plus, Nady would replace Delgado at first in the future, which is what I would really like to see.

Beltran wouldn't be part of a Nady trade. I'm talking about way down the road, at least a couple of years.

At minimum we would get some stud pitching prospects and a guy we could groom as Beltran's heir.