SportsWrath

Mets vs. Braves Gameday Thread.

RandolphScott

The Mets (11-10) begin a six-game homestand with a three-game series against the Braves (11-11) tonight at Shea Stadium, starting at 7:10 pm EST.

The Lineup:

* SS Jose Reyes

* 2B Luis Castillo

* 3B David Wright

* CF Carlos Beltran

* RF Ryan Church

* LF Angel Pagan

* 1B Marlon Anderson

* C Raul Casanova

* P Mike Pelfrey

…Carlos Delgado is out of tonight’s lineup….

According to Anthony McCarron of the Daily News, there is nothing ‘physically wrong’ with Delgado. He is just getting the day off.

The Pitchers:

RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-0, 3.18 ERA) toes the rubber for the Mets. Pelfrey earned a no-decision in his last start, surrendering four runs on 10 hits and two walks while striking out two over five innings pitched. He is 5-1 with a 4.15 ERA and a 1.28 K/BB ratio during his last six starts dating back to September 1. In two career starts versus the Braves, Pelfrey is 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA.

RHP Jair Jurrjens (2-2, 3.20 ERA) starts for the Braves. In his last start on April 20 versus the Dodgers, Jurrjens earned a win allowing one run on three hits and three hits while striking out over seven innings pitched. This is Jurrjens first career start versus the Mets.

The Notes:

Luis Castillo is batting .341 (14-for-41) with 3 RBI, 5 SB and 6 runs scored in his last 10 games.

During his current 10-game hitting streak, Ryan Church is 16-for-40 (.400) with 1 HR, 3 2B, 6 RBI and 13 runs scored.

Chipper Jones is batting .310 with 19 2B, 19 HR and 53 RBI in 83 career games played at Shea Stadium.

The Braves are the only team in the National League without a hit from one of their pitchers, going 0-for-39.

Linkage

Never before has a team that collapsed in such a way as this one did had success the next year.

This year is gonna get ugly quickly around here. 1992 like. I said it in March and they are yet again making my pessimism look dead on.

I have to reluctantly agree here. His 15 minutes of fame is gone. Well so has the rest of the team. Well maybe Church is the only consistent one.

While our 119 million dollar man bunts to get on base....as the clean up hitter.

I've pretty much resigned to the fact that Beltran in no way, shape or form wanted

to be a New York Met.

Step 1) acceptance

Step 2) healing

Step 3) Moving on

At what point will Omar reach these three steps of grieving what will be a terrible year?

On the bright side there are some players here teams will want and he can replenish a farm system he has raped.

The punchless Mets are going to lose again. I don't know how much more losing I can take. 2 hits through 7 innings? This is sad. At least we can win when Johan pitches. But not against the Braves. We might not win a game against the Braves all year. They are completely out-classing us. They are far and a way a much better team than the Mets. Of course I know we'll take a couple of them this year, but I have no confidence at all in this team.

The punchless Mets are going to lose again. I don't know how much more losing I can take. 2 hits through 7 innings? This is sad. At least we can win when Johan pitches. But not against the Braves. We might not win a game against the Braves all year. They are completely out-classing us. They are far and a way a much better team than the Mets. Of course I know we'll take a couple of them this year, but I have no confidence at all in this team.

Looks like you are about to come to grips with step 1. Good job my godo man ;)