SportsWrath

Bums

jranieli

The only thing that willie did wrong yesterday was leave sosa in to face johnson.

The rest was simply the braves getting timely hits and us not. If it makes you feel better to blame willie than have it.

I consider most of you here smart Met fans. With that being said.

Does anyone really believe that this team is built to win this division? Am I the only one that sees 80-85 wins at best? Old at key positions, too eft handed down the bottom of the order, a bullpen that is trash and well of course then theres Billy.

Not going to argue with people on this one, but I hope most of you realize this team is just not that good and quite frankly when I see the fundamental mistakes that they continue to make under this regime(Willie and yes you too OMAR) I am amazed.

It's not as if the Mets are the only ones that look bad. We aren't that good a team, xxi is right about that, but neither are any other teams. In the whole league. Look no further than our division.

Phillies have a much better lineup, but their bullpen has no reliable bridge to an even more unreliable closer.

Soriano sure didn't look that great today either.

It really comes down to being able to being the most fundamentally sound team out there and find ways to win close games. Right now we've shown the ability to do neither.

There are a lot of teams sailing on average right now.

It's not as if the Mets are the only ones that look bad. We aren't that good a team, xxi is right about that, but neither are any other teams. In the whole league. Look no further than our division.

Phillies have a much better lineup, but their bullpen has no reliable bridge to an even more unreliable closer.

Soriano sure didn't look that great today either.

It really comes down to being able to being the most fundamentally sound team out there and find ways to win close games. Right now we've shown the ability to do neither.

There are a lot of teams sailing on average right now.

The Mets outspend their closest divisonal competition by 40 million dollars, being as average as they are is unacceptable.

The Mets outspend their closest divisonal competition by 40 million dollars, being as average as they are is unacceptable.

That 40 million goes to the one position we have every other team beat in... the closer :P

The strong stench of mediocrity is going to hover over baseball for a long time.

That 40 million goes to the one position we have every other team beat in... the closer :P

The strong stench of mediocrity is going to hover over baseball for a long time.

:LMAO: closer

Yeah Wagner is money in the big spot

I missed most of the Braves games, cuz I was asleep with the flu. I did see the last 3 or 4 inning yesterday and saw D. Wright come up with runners on second and third with 2 outs TWICE and ground out both times. When your biggest clutch hitter isn't coming through the entire game, your team has no chance.

Everyone is overreacting a little, but I will say that their play thus far is uninspiring. And I think there is some genuine cause for concern with the offense. Some things that I've been hearing bothers me. For one, Reyes talking about how he is not going to do the elaborate hand shakes or other antics he did last year, because he doesn't want to open himself up to criticism like last year when they collapsed. I think this is a mistake. There is nothing wrong with him having fun and providing that spark and atmosphere that in a dugout, is really infectious. You take away that fire and guys are trying to be players they are not, I believe it impacts the mindset, which impacts production at the plate, IMO. I think there is a danger of the pressure of NY and the media, both NY's and the national media, affecting offensive performance. I have to believe the pressure got to the Mets down the stretch last year for a couple of key players, particularly Jose Reyes.

Secondly, the age of the team is a concern for me as well. Players in key roles that are being expected to perform at their prime levels, who are far beyond the prime, as well as players that are injury risks. Delgado, Castillo, and Alou fall into this category on the offense. If these players play like their ages, then there are problems, because you know Willie is not going to bench them if they don't produce. I will say Delgado has been hitting, although he's yet to go deep, and Castillo has been ok (I wish he would look to drive the ball SOMETIMES). Alou everyone expects to come back and just rake as usual, but he is 41 years old. If his bat all of a sudden is slow, then we will have problems. Delgado seems to me he can't turn around on an inside fastball anymore. This is a huge advantage to pitchers, obviously. Add to this that Beltran usually misses somes games because of his knees, and our offense may not be good enough if you combine some of these worst case scenarios. However, Angel Pagan has been hot, and a godsend. A key player is Church, he needs to have a career year and early indications are positive. I loathe punch and judy Castillo. I believe signing him for four years was a huge mistake. He will be an albatross best case scenario in the last year of that deal.

I am not worried about the bullpen or the starting pitching, and they will at least keep us competitive, but this team is going to need to outscore offenses like the Phillies and Braves on some days, and they may not be able to do it. BTW, the Braves have the best lineup maybe in the National League, but definitely in the East. If Kotsay hits this year, there are no holes in that lineup. That kid Yunel Escobar is scary good. Just what we needed, another stud SS in the NL East.

Lastly, I am beginning to doubt Willie Randolph for the first time. I think he is a little too much of a micro-manager. Sometimes you need to just say to your players, go out there and do want you do. Go play and hit like you know how. The problem here is that I think these players start to think too much because of the coaches and Willie's direction on how to execute. If you are thinking at the plate, then you've already lost. Some of you have remarked about some at-bats already that it looks like they don't know what they are doing. I think they are up there thinking! Just hit! It's like Willie was criticizing Maine in his last start because he felt he was too juiced up. The gun had Maine hitting 94-97 consistently. Obviously, Willie thinks this is over-throwing. Maine got squeezed a few times, and he had bad luck. I don't think he pitched badly, clearly he was missing on his location, some, but I didn't feel that he was bad. Willie has these guys playing tight, that is the bottom line. You can't play that way and win. You have to just play. Play hard, but play loose. There is a balance between executing a game plan and being loose, and these guys are thinking too much about the game plan at this point. Hopefully things will turn around against the Phillies.

I see all this negative feeling towards Willie and I ask, who gave him a 32 year old 2b, who's game in based on his legs who has 2 legs that appear to be older than they are? Who gave him a lefty laden lineup from #5 on down? Who gave him an injury prone 41 year old left fielder? Who took away guys like Bannister and Bell and Lidstrom and Owens and gave him trash like Mota, Burgos, Vargas, Adkins etc.?

Yeah that would be Omar.

For every Duaner Sanchez and Oliver Perez trade(which he got lucky on only because Sanchez got hurt) Omar has made dud deal after dud deal. Sure he has made the team better, by spending the Wilpons money, but his scouting leaves a lot to be desired and he has depleted the farm syatem through bad deal after bad deal. You mean to tell me Heath Bell could not help this team? Brian Bannister would not be a solid #5 starter?

Give me millions to offer Pedro and Beltran and the ability to take on salary dumps like Delgado and LoDuca and I would look like a good GM. Omar is lucky he inherited Reyes and Wright, because quite frankly his track record has been spottty at best since year one.

Wanna blame Willie? Fine go ahead, but make sure you got Omar lined up next on that firing line because he has been the one doing the shopping.

The Braves bullpen isn't much better than the Phillies and Mets. It will come back to bite the Braves eventually. Soriano is going to blow a lot of games for them. Outside of Chipper, Tex and Mccann, I really do not like their lineup.

The Phillies have two good starters, maybe one but their pen is not good, just like the Mets. They were better with that wife beater as the closer. Lidge has not been himself for years. Don't expect him to return to form. I do like their lineup. They have a lot of power but who wouldn't at that ballpark. They also have power outside of that ballpark

The Mets are old. They have 2-3 good starters. The Mets probably have the best closer in the division even though we loath him so. Their lineup is about even with Philadelphia, maybe a little less but they are older and that might be a drawback. They might not have as much power as Philly but have much more speed. They have good situational pitchers but are not used correctly in situations when called upon.