SportsWrath

pettitte coming back

Herc

Andy Pettitte, who had considered retirement after the 2007 season ended, will return in 2008 to pitch for the New York Yankees, the Houston Chronicle reported on Monday.

Pettitte

According to the report, his agent, Randy Hendricks, said he has advised the Yankees that Pettitte will come back.

"Many teammates have called urging Andy to return as well as manager Joe Girardi," Hendricks said, according to the report. "It's well known that the Yankees have publicly stated that they were ready for Andy when Andy was ready."

The Chronicle reported that it earlier learned from friends, former Houston Astros teammates and some current Yankees teammates that the left-hander would return.

Pettitte pitched for the Yankees last season on a one-year, $16 million contract. He earlier declined a $16 million player option for 2008, but the Yankees have offered him salary arbitration.

Pettitte has a 201-113 career record with a 3.83 ERA over 13 seasons with the Yankees and Astros. He went 15-9 with a 4.05 ERA in 36 starts in 2007.

Great! Now we can pull the offer for Santana!

Well, Id still try and get him, but this should take Phil out of the deal..which in my opinion was really, really dumb in the first place.

I think a package of Horne, Kennedy and Melky is as good as the twins are going to get. The red sox arent going to include Ricky Ledee in the deal and there is no way the Twins take Cocoa Crisp...number 1, he makes too much money, number 2..he is awful. The Twins have a glaring need for a CF, even with the acquisition of Young because he cant play CF. Im almost positive that the twins trading santana revolves around getting outfield help as the centerpiece. The Twins are stacked with young pitching so I dont think that thats what they really want

Also, I might even try and save Kennedy(wo is very under valued...I think he is going to be a very good pitcher) in this deal too. As I said, the Twins are stacked with young starting pitching...what they need is outfielders and a closer. Joe Nathan is gone after this season and they cant bring him back. Id offer Horne, Melky and Humberto Sanchez and see what they think.

Well, Id still try and get him, but this should take Phil out of the deal..which in my opinion was really, really dumb in the first place.

I think a package of Horne, Kennedy and Melky is as good as the twins are going to get. The red sox arent going to include Ricky Ledee in the deal and there is no way the Twins take Cocoa Crisp...number 1, he makes too much money, number 2..he is awful. The Twins have a glaring need for a CF, even with the acquisition of Young because he cant play CF. Im almost positive that the twins trading santana revolves around getting outfield help as the centerpiece. The Twins are stacked with young pitching so I dont think that thats what they really want

Also, I might even try and save Kennedy(wo is very under valued...I think he is going to be a very good pitcher) in this deal too. As I said, the Twins are stacked with young starting pitching...what they need is outfielders and a closer. Joe Nathan is gone after this season and they cant bring him back. Id offer Horne, Melky and Humberto Sanchez and see what they think.

I don’t know anything about Horne, but if he’s as good as Kennedy SEEMS to be, I wouldn’t go for that trade either. I’d rather have two Kennedys than one Santana. We also get to keep Melky.

I don’t know anything about Horne, but if he’s as good as Kennedy SEEMS to be, I wouldn’t go for that trade either. I’d rather have two Kennedys than one Santana. We also get to keep Melky.

horne is nowhere near as good as Kennedy, he is a 25 year old that has never pitched higher than AA, he is not a prospect....but he does have good stuff

THe best thing about Petite resigning is that it takes the "must" out of trying to get Santana. Without Petite, the Yanks had to do whatever it takes to get Santana and the Twins were in the driver's seat. Now, the Yanks are in the driver's seat and they have the option of walking away from the table, which is the Twins worst nightmare as they need the Yanks in the bidding process to maximize their eventual deal. I also believe that the Yanks recent pullout and saying "no deal" because they are tired of waiting, is all fluff-n-bluff to work the Twins. Whether it works or not is yet to be seen. But you can bet your ass the Yanks are going to be ready to pull the trigger on some kind of deal before Santana gets away from them.

I think that if the Yanks do end up with Santana, it's a given that Melky is gone (and I really like him). I believe that Hughes will be pulled off the table and Joba never was on the table. The Yanks are not parting with Cano so it would probably end up Melky, Kennedy (or Ohlendorf), and perhaps a prospective pitcher and a prospective hitter/fielder. I could live with that. Another option is to throw in Pavano (please) and pay his salary - something the Twins might like. Maybe they'd take Kei Igawa off our hands too - that's be sweet! :)

Anyway, it's a high stakes card game and Petite gave the Yanks a decent playing hand now. The Ace-in-the-Hole for the Yanks is that Santana has to approve the deal (something he's been mum about), and I believe he personally wants to be a Yankee (hope so anyway). If so....he will end up in pinstripes one way or another.