SportsWrath

SI Poll

Virginia Giant

Was watching Mike and Mike on espn2 this morning and they were talking about a recent SI poll in which they polled active NFL defensive players and asked who was the easiest quarterback to intimidate. Didn't mention how many players were polled or which conference was polled the most, but here are the top 3.

1: Rex Grossman

2: Eli Manning

3: Joey Harrington

Can't remember the exact percentages, but I think Grossman was like 23 % and Eli was at 20 %.

Couldn't find the poll either.

yeah I saw this nonsense. I guess this was pre 2007.

No one questions his toughness now and if they do they are stupid.

Nonsense indeed. I don't know who they were polling but we saw Eli in SD... 'nuff said.

Well, if hes tough, he aint gettin intimidated very easily. How do you tell if youre INTIMIDATING the opposing QB?

Intimidation is not necessarily a knock on toughness though. Intimidation is forcing a QB to throw off his back foot, throw into good coverage, etc. Not so much to keep from being hurt, but to try so hard to not mess up that you mess up.

Definately Eli showing his toughness by playing through the shoulder pain goes a long way to show his maturation and ability to NOT be intimidated as much.

Intimidation is not necessarily a knock on toughness though. Intimidation is forcing a QB to throw off his back foot, throw into good coverage, etc. Not so much to keep from being hurt, but to try so hard to not mess up that you mess up.

Definately Eli showing his toughness by playing through the shoulder pain goes a long way to show his maturation and ability to NOT be intimidated as much.

See, I believe those are young mistakes. Eli up to this point is a newer, younger QB. Those were mechanics he needed to work on, rather than him being intimidated.

See, I believe those are young mistakes. Eli up to this point is a newer, younger QB. Those were mechanics he needed to work on, rather than him being intimidated.

Of course it's young qb's. Ever hear of a 10 year vet being intimidated? Some young QB's are just more easily intimidated than others.

BTW, i think Eli has overcome that as well, I have to think that poll was done prior to the season and if the same players were polled today, their opinions woukld be changed.

Of course it's young qb's. Ever hear of a 10 year vet being intimidated? Some young QB's are just more easily intimidated than others.

BTW, i think Eli has overcome that as well, I have to think that poll was done prior to the season and if the same players were polled today, their opinions woukld be changed.

True. Eli has improved leaps and bounds this season. I just never saw him and thought, he was being intimidated.

You must have missed the Ravens game then.

So true VG, I was at that game and afterwards I thought to myself "what the hell did we get into with this guy?". In what has become ELI's fashion though, 6 days later at home against the 1 loss Steelers and Big Ben, he dusted himself off and went toe to toe with Big Ben with a lesser team and had a Qb rating I believe of 144 or some number like that. That showed me something, but you are right that Ravens game was bad, and probably a great learning experience all these years later.

So true VG, I was at that game and afterwards I thought to myself "what the hell did we get into with this guy?". In what has become ELI's fashion though, 6 days later at home against the 1 loss Steelers and Big Ben, he dusted himself off and went toe to toe with Big Ben with a lesser team and had a Qb rating I believe of 144 or some number like that. That showed me something, but you are right that Ravens game was bad, and probably a great learning experience all these years later.

I like to think I've always had faith in Eli, but that Ravens game was torture.

You're dead on about the Steelers game though, that was a great performance.