SportsWrath

im done defending him

Herc

im not even going to blame those coors field hits that would be outs in other stadiums. he sucked, he blew 2 chances to clinch the playoffs in three days. he's done, i dont care if they resign him. im totally cool with heath bell closing next year.

have at it

i know, he's always had problems at coors, his career era there is like 6.00+, but i just can't continue to unconditionally support the guy after blowing 2 chances to clinch. this was easily hyis worst season--7 blown saves in 49 chances. enough's enough, the team played too hard and overcame all those annoying injuries just to be let down twice. meanwhile heath bell was my freaking hero last night and doesn't look like he gets shook by anything. if hoffman wants to come back as the setup man fine, but the guy's done and i dont want to trust my ninth inning to him anymore

it was amazing that at the time the rockies used 7 pitchers, the pads used 2, then i thought to myself 'well that means the pads haven't had men on base for the previous 3 innings." They went stretches there with no base runners.

it was amazing that at the time the rockies used 7 pitchers, the pads used 2, then i thought to myself 'well that means the pads haven't had men on base for the previous 3 innings." They went stretches there with no base runners.

they actually had man on 2nd three consecutive innings before the inning that they scored. they just couldn't get him across. they scored a lot of runs, the bullpen was great, peavy was gritty despite getting hit, and they made it a close game. everything finally shifted to a favorable game for them and he still blew it. i couldn't ask for a better situation considering the circumstances

no, i meant the pads had guys in scoring position 3 straight innings before they finally got some runs. i dont remember if heath bell got an atbat, after his 2nd full inning he was due up and was lifted so maybe not

Im sure the mets were happy they traded heath bell for ben johnson and jon adkins

That move came in second in terms of giving me pure joy right behind the decision to sign Mota for 2 seasons.

:brooding: :brooding: :brooding:

I didn't wanna kick you when you were down, Midas, but as far as I'm concerned it was typical Hoffman. The guy's got big career numbers, but his next big time save will be his first.

he's saved playoff games before so i wouldn't agree that it would be his first, but i get your point.

I think in these spots what fans(such as myself) like to do is look at all the little bullshit that you mention, the stupid injuries etc. and then see the closer blow all the work they did to get to that point and then just go nuts with anger.

I like Hoffman, I disagree that he is as good as Rivera, he had a tough game though.

i try my best to be a very patient fan who doesn't flip flop too much on his team or their players--to a fault really. But 2 huge blown saves in clinching games after 13 years of unconditional defense is where I have to draw the line with him. I just found out next season was an option that's already been activated by his performance this season. So looks like he's the closer again next season and i will of course support him since he's a padre. But he's no longer in the holy trinity of midas' favorite childhood players. kevin brown never disappointed me like this and neither did mitch richmond. he's being demoted till further notice