SportsWrath

Who did it?

Lubeck

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08152007/sport...ul_schwartz.htm

August 15, 2007 -- ALBANY - Be forewarned. Whoever nailed Jeremy Shockey with the latest training-camp prank is going to live to regret picking this particular target.

After lunch yesterday, Shockey went to sign some autographs and revealed a very purple left hand, stained with dye after he stuck it inside his glove, not knowing that it had been booby-trapped with the unwashable substance that banks use to mark money.

It will take days for Shockey to remove the deep purple stain, and undoubtedly much less time to identify the culprit.

Unsmiling, the temperamental tight end clearly did not appreciate the gag and vowed revenge.

"Dead man walking," he warned.

The usual suspect whenever foul play hits camp is guard Rich Seubert, who has a long and storied prankster history. But Seubert steadfastly proclaimed his innocence, as he's Shockey's suite mate and knows better than to pick on him.

Seubert's targets usually are unsuspecting rookies.

"Everyone thinks it's me," said Seubert, who offered "a cash reward" to anyone who revealed the mastermind behind the purple hand. "I think it was the ballboys. They're all getting dumped in the cold tub."

It appears as if TE Darcy Johnson - the favorite to win a job as the main blocking tight end - is headed to injured reserve. Johnson went down in the morning with a right knee injury during a one-on-one blocking drill and was diagnosed with a sprained medial collateral ligament - and, far worse, a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament.

In addition, rookie TE Kevin Boss is sidelined with a sore shoulder.

Ever since the late practice on Aug. 2, WR Plaxico Burress has been out of action with a sprained right ankle. Before that, Burress already was on a one-a-day schedule in deference to the bone spurs he had removed from his left ankle following last season. There's a chance Burress will return to the field today.

Coach Tom Coughlin expressed concern about the timing of the passing game with Burress out for so long, but Burress said it's not a big deal.

"Once I get back on the field the timing is just going to be there," he said.

Eli Manning four times in the morning missed on downfield passes and afterward knew why he wasn't clicking.

"Last week I didn't throw Thursday or Friday," he said. "[The Giants had a] game Saturday, [he] didn't throw on Sunday. All of a sudden you come out and your arm feels revived.

"Their legs are tired and my arm's feeling fresh. It's not a good combination."