SportsWrath

John Mara , talks about Strahan

Lughead

John Mara: "This Is No Way For His Career To End"

The Giants' president and co-owner is obviously talking about Michael Strahan, who did in fact speak with both TC and Jerry Reese last night.

Reese kept his conversation with Ol' 92 private, but said they spoke at length about a number of things. Reese informed Strahan that the Giants will proceed as if they're not going to have him here, which means Simeon Rice is still coming in tonight for a physical and sit down tomorrow.

Reese also said that he and TC spoke with Osi Umenyiora about his remarks yesterday. "He's being a good little brother and speaking up for one of his mentors," Reese said of Osi. Don't believe Osi was fined, but he got a talking-to.

Speaking of fines, the total is up to $71,440. Maybe Ol' 92 has a Fine Fund that anyone can contribute to.

Myself and Mike G. from that Jersey paper cornered John Mara for a few minutes after practice, and here's what he said:

"This is no way for his career to end. He should go out on a much better note than this. I still believe he’s going to be in at some point, but who knows?"

On whether he felt Strahan should have talked to him at some point the last few months: "Not necessarily me, but I do wish he’d spoken to Tom a little bit earlier than he did. I just think he’s undecided as to what he wants to do. Until he makes a decision, we’ve got to move on as if he’s not going to be here."

On his overall feeling: "I’m disappointed he’s not here, but at the end of the day he’s got to make a decision as to whether or not he wants to play football. He obviously doesn’t know what he wants to do right now; if he decides he wants to come back, we’ll welcome him back. Hopefully sooner rather than later, because we can’t wait forever."

On whether he got any indications from Strahan: "Not to us, no. He did approach us back in March about his contract. That didn’t go anywhere. But he had been in the off-season program. He had been in minicamps, so it came as a surprise. But what are you going to do? You move on. We have some good players here, we have some other options. We’ll just move on. There’s nothing you can do about it at this point."

On whether there's a limit to their patience: "I think there is a limit. I can’t sit here and tell you what it is. I have to talk to Tom and Jerry about that and see what they think. But obviously, there are other options out there. I don’t think any of them are as good as Michael. But you have to at some point decide you’re either going to live without him or sit there forever."

On the prospect of bringing in Simeon Rice: "We’ll worry about that when the time comes. We’re a long way from signing him right now. I’m still hoping I walk on the field tomorrow and see (Strahan) standing there."

On the loyalty factor: "As long I can remember we’ve always had contract issues with guys. We had them with Harry Carson, we had them with Lawrence Taylor, George Martin, Phil Simms. It’s just part of the business. I don’t think so. I’d like to have him here, but at the end of the day it’s up to him. You can’t force a guy to be here if he doesn’t want to be."

I'll have more on the actual A.M. practice in a few.

who cares what john mara thinks, i've seen no indications that this team's future is in the right hands.

I don't know about that. I'm really starting to like the Promotion of J. Reese. So far he's had a hell of a offseason, with the draft and free agent signings.

he didn't do much in free agency and it's too early to say anything about the draft, but so far i like reese too. but the truth is that promoting an assistant gm and refusing to make a decision on coughlin (extend him or fire him) shows me that they have no balls

They did extend him though.

you know what i mean. the last year of a coach's contract never counts in giant-land, im talking about an actual long-term extension or some type of vote of confidence--not a 'let's put off the decision till next year' one year extension