SportsWrath

Washington Nationals at New York Mets

jranieli

Game 1

espn

The Washington Nationals finally know what it's like to play with a lead.

Now, they'll look to win back-to-back games for the first time this season when they open a three game series with the New York Mets at Shea Stadium on Friday night.

Ronnie Belliard's eighth-inning RBI single in Thursday's 2-0 win over Atlanta gave Washington (2-8) its first lead this season at the time a pitch was thrown. The Nationals' previous win came on Dmitri Young's game-ending single that capped a 7-6 victory over Florida on April 4.

"The first thing I heard right next to my ear was Ryan Church saying, 'We got a lead!' " Nationals rookie manager Manny Acta said. "There was still a lot of game left, but that was refreshing to hear."

Acta will return to New York, where he spent the previous two seasons as the Mets' third-base coach.

"I just want to win," Acta said. "I don't care if it's the Mets or the St. Paul Saints. I don't get more satisfaction beating the Mets. I left without any bitterness. I was actually treated like a king."

Despite Thursday's win, the Nationals have still been outscored 61-23 this season and have not scored in the first three innings of any of their games. Still, they were thrilled after defeating Atlanta ace John Smoltz.

"That felt good for the team," said Washington starter Jason Bergmann, who allowed just one hit in six innings. "That's something we needed, facing a guy, a legend, John Smoltz."

Ryan Zimmerman also had an RBI single for Washington. Belliard, who extended his hitting streak to eight games, went 5-for-11 in the series and is 13-for-32 (.406) this season.

Washington sends John Patterson (0-2, 9.35 ERA) to the mound. He gave up three runs -- all in a 31-pitch first inning -- of Saturday's 7-1 loss to Arizona. Patterson, the Nationals' opening-day starter, did not pitch after July 9 last season because of a forearm injury and pitching coach Randy St. Claire has said it will take time for him to regain his arm strength.

Patterson said he was bothered by the cold in his last outing, and Friday's weather forecast is expected to be cold and windy.

"The good thing is that I'm maintaining whatever velocity I do have. It's not real good and then real bad," he told the Nationals official Web site. "Of course, it's going to get better as the season goes on. You have to stay positive and keep working."

Patterson is 1-2 with a 5.18 ERA in 12 career starts against the Mets, with the lone win coming on April 10, 2004. He is 0-2 with a 6.59 ERA in six outings at Shea.

The Mets (6-3) are coming off Thursday's 5-3 win over Philadelphia. David Wright tripled in the seventh to extend his career-best hitting streak to 21 games dating back to last season, and Jose Reyes hit a go-ahead, two-run single for New York as it took two of three from the Phillies.

Reyes went 5-for-12 with four RBIs in the series and is 13-for-37 (.351) with 11 RBIs this season.

Mike Pelfrey will make his season debut for the Mets. The right-hander, a first-round draft pick in 2005, was 2-1 with a 5.48 ERA, but did not face the Nationals.

I am axious to see how P-Fry fairs today. We have to beat up this team.

It's just an unfair advantage to have the Nats in your division. <_>

Well the Nats are shutting down the Mets tonight. Like i said in another thread. The Mets seem to make mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young sometimes.

Well the Nats are shutting down the Mets tonight. Like i said in another thread. The Mets seem to make mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young sometimes.

You would think they could watch other teams not chasing every pitch... It has been working well for them. Mets have come out hackin all season

You would think they could watch other teams not chasing every pitch... It has been working well for them. Mets have come out hackin all season

Do you think Reyes was reading htis in the doug out?

My wife just asked if Kiner said he couldnt take a piss and walk

except Jose. Beltran still watches them pass by. Wow another guess on a pitchout.

Just wait 'til it gets warm. We lead the NL in runs scored despite hitting only 6 dingers.

wrigtht and carlos one game are gonna have 2 home runs apiece.

they are so close to exploding right now.

Delgado?

Wright has been coming around and hitting the ball harder each game. How about that hitting streak? :TU: I'm hoping he at least takes it to 30 games so the media will start to focus on it more. Although when that happens, the streak usually ends.

I think as the weather gets warmer, the homers will come. Home runs across the league are down right now.

Delgado?

Wright has been coming around and hitting the ball harder each game. How about that hitting streak? :TU: I'm hoping he at least takes it to 30 games so the media will start to focus on it more. Although when that happens, the streak usually ends.

I think as the weather gets warmer, the homers will come. Home runs across the league are down right now.

The hitting streak is pure bullshit, no way it should be carried over to this season.

It will be a travesty if he breaks Dimaggio's record.

The hitting streak is pure bullshit, no way it should be carried over to this season.

unless he gets a 69 game hit streak or something dating back to last year.

He won't come close to breaking that record. No one will.

The real travesty is what Bonds is about to do. :TD: