SportsWrath

A new old guy

Lughead

Giants, Timmerman Talking

By Hazem Kiswani | April 4th, 2007

Print | E-mail

36544m.JPG Timmerman - media.scout.com

The New York Giants have been in contact with Adam Timmerman, the ex- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman, according to sources close to Timmerman. Timmerman’s agent and the Giants have had some preliminary talks, and will continue to speak over the next few days. Timmerman, 35, is a former pro-bowler, who would help bring some short term solidification to the Giants O-line, while the Giants continue to develop young prospect Guy Whimper, and look at options in the draft.

To me, this is the biggest news of this slow off-season for the Giants. If they bring in Timmerman, it opens even more possibilities for them on draft day, and gives them a pro-bowl interior lineman, although he may only have 2-3 years left in the tank. Timmerman is very good in pass protection, and can help diffuse some of that interior pressure that constantly got to Eli last year down the stretch. If they can grab Timmerman at a fair price, look for him to start next to Diehl on the left side of the line, and anchor an already very good Giants offensive line.

Note:

The Giants are keeping an eye on the situation with Lance Briggs and the Redskins, and from what I have heard, are in frequent contact with Briggs’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who has a good relationship with the Giants front office. I will update as soon as I get anything further on that situation.