SportsWrath

David Wright No. 2 hitter?

feefifoefum

March 11, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - There are many reasons why David Wright should bat second for the Mets rather than Paul Lo Duca - and we will get to those. But here is the biggest reason:

Wright is a better, more dangerous hitter than Lo Duca, and should bat more often and in more critical situations. Period.

Three times already this spring Wright has hit second. Willie Randolph says he is just tinkering and "nothing is etched in stone." But this is more than a tinker. Randolph is seriously considering batting Wright behind Jose Reyes and in front of Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and Moises Alou.

The presence of Alou's righty production to protect Delgado liberates Wright to move. And move up he should.

There was a time when Randolph himself was a prototype No. 2 hitter. But the notion that you need a guy who can handle the bat - i.e., hit-and-run and sacrifice - in that slot is Jurassic. The game, even in the National League, is played differently now with a premium on scoring in bunches. Besides, Reyes does not need a No. 2 hitter's assistance to reach scoring position.

According to Stats Inc., Reyes and his kindred spirit, Florida shortstop Hanley Ramirez, became the first major leaguers in 19 years to reach scoring position 100 times by themselves via double, triple or steal of second. Nevertheless, though Reyes was constantly in scoring position, Lo Duca managed just 49 RBIs. Dan Uggla, the Marlins' No. 2 hitter, had a major league-best 86 RBIs from the two-hole, in part because he hit 26 homers (Lo Duca hit four).

A power-hitting No. 2 batter is so attractive. An opposing pitcher must worry about Reyes' speed when he is on base and not walking the No. 2 hitter in front of elite RBI men Beltran, Delgado and Alou. Thus, the Mets' No. 2 batter can expect plenty of fastballs to try to negate Reyes' speed, and fewer filthy sliders late in the count to attempt to avoid walks.

So whom do you think would do more damage with hittable fastballs and breaking pitches: Lo Duca or Wright? In the Mets' lineup, the No. 2 hitter is an RBI man. Wright is an RBI man. Lo Duca is not.

Wright also is more patient, a virtue to give Reyes opportunities to steal. Of the 27 players who had at least 275 plate appearances in the No. 2 hole last year, only Detroit's Placido Polanco saw fewer pitches per plate appearance (3.24) than Lo Duca (3.44). Wright saw 3.93 pitches per plate appearance, which was second best on the Mets to Beltran (4.20), who was third in the NL. Thus, the Mets would be assured of having their two most patient hitters bat in the first inning, improving the chance of both exhausting the opposing pitcher quickly and also scoring early. And with worries about their own starting pitching, the Mets will want to build leads more than ever to reduce the pressure on their rotation.

Wright, who regularly hit fifth last season, pledged that if he hits second he would not alter his style, and he shouldn't. A scout who watched Wright struggle last August said it was because Wright tried to pull too much. If having Reyes held on at first makes Wright more conscious of using the whole field, all the better.

In Reyes-Wright-Beltran, the Mets also have their three fastest everyday players atop the lineup, adding further stress on the opposing pitcher. Also, at best, Lo Duca will start about 120 games, which means if he is your regular No. 2 hitter, you are reshuffling the top of the lineup one-quarter of the time, anyway. So why not just have stability?

Could the length of the Mets' lineup be more dubious? Yes, especially if Shawn Green does not rebound and/or Jose Valentin's 2006 season was a fluke. Still, the difference between batting Wright second or fifth is about two plate appearances a week. Again, who do you want batting more frequently? The guy with more patience, more impact and a greater ability to get on base - or Lo Duca?

The Wright lineup for the Mets has their third baseman hitting second.

So whom do you think would do more damage with hittable fastballs and breaking pitches: Lo Duca or Wright? In the Mets' lineup, the No. 2 hitter is an RBI man. Wright is an RBI man. Lo Duca is not.

Wright also is more patient, a virtue to give Reyes opportunities to steal. Of the 27 players who had at least 275 plate appearances in the No. 2 hole last year, only Detroit's Placido Polanco saw fewer pitches per plate appearance (3.24) than Lo Duca (3.44). Wright saw 3.93 pitches per plate appearance, which was second best on the Mets to Beltran (4.20), who was third in the NL. Thus, the Mets would be assured of having their two most patient hitters bat in the first inning, improving the chance of both exhausting the opposing pitcher quickly and also scoring early. And with worries about their own starting pitching, the Mets will want to build leads more than ever to reduce the pressure on their rotation.

Wright, who regularly hit fifth last season, pledged that if he hits second he would not alter his style, and he shouldn't. A scout who watched Wright struggle last August said it was because Wright tried to pull too much. If having Reyes held on at first makes Wright more conscious of using the whole field, all the better.

In Reyes-Wright-Beltran, the Mets also have their three fastest everyday players atop the lineup, adding further stress on the opposing pitcher. Also, at best, Lo Duca will start about 120 games, which means if he is your regular No. 2 hitter, you are reshuffling the top of the lineup one-quarter of the time, anyway. So why not just have stability?

Could the length of the Mets' lineup be more dubious? Yes, especially if Shawn Green does not rebound and/or Jose Valentin's 2006 season was a fluke. Still, the difference between batting Wright second or fifth is about two plate appearances a week. Again, who do you want batting more frequently? The guy with more patience, more impact and a greater ability to get on base - or Lo Duca?

The Wright lineup for the Mets has their third baseman hitting second.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03112007/sport...rman.htm?page=0

I think Wright should be the no.2 hitter in the lineup. No slight to Lo Duca, but what glaringly stands out is the part that states Lo Duca had only 49 RBI last season with Reyes being in scoring position what seemed like anytime he got on base.

With Beltran behind Wright, and Reyes on base, David will see alot more pitches to hit. He's already a selective hitter. Can you imagine what he could do if he sees meatballs all day? :drool:

I think Wright should be the no.2 hitter in the lineup. No slight to Lo Duca, but what glaringly stands out is the part that states Lo Duca had only 49 RBI last season with Reyes being in scoring position what seemed like anytime he got on base.

With Beltran behind Wright, and Reyes on base, David will see alot more pitches to hit. He's already a selective hitter. Can you imagine what he could do if he sees meatballs all day? :drool:

This should hurt his steal attempts but what a sweet spot...in between Reyes, Beltran, and Delgado...if he hits second, I would mark him up a bit on draft day.

This should hurt his steal attempts but what a sweet spot...in between Reyes, Beltran, and Delgado...if he hits second, I would mark him up a bit on draft day.

He hit second today, so I think Willie just may be thinking about leaving him there. He's definitely experimenting with it, that's for sure.

The one thing that LoDuca gives you as a #2 hitter is that he does not strike out (32 last year) compared to D.Wright (116). Putting the ball in play gives Reyes the chance to move from 1st to 3rd.

Maybe moving Wright to the 2 hole will result in less strikeouts but do you think it could cut them by 3/4? I would like to see Wright in the 3 but Beltran has been doing well there so why fuck with it?

The one thing that LoDuca gives you as a #2 hitter is that he does not strike out (32 last year) compared to D.Wright (116). Putting the ball in play gives Reyes the chance to move from 1st to 3rd.

Exactly, that is the only reason why I love Lo Dough Boy hitting second in the lineup, he is a contact hitter and rarely strikesout.

David Wright strikes out so much because he takes so many pitches and runs so many 2-2, 1-2, 3-2 counts.

I was talking about this with Golfingkid like a week ago. Wright would be a fantastic number 2 hitter, like he is a number 5 hitter now. BUT, the back end of the lineup would be a lot weaker. Shawn Green is capable of hitting sixth but there was a reason why we brought in a guy like Alou to do it. A guy like Valentin with almost 20 homers last year is really dangerous hitting eighth, but he would have Lo Duca in front of him. And Lo Duca would have Green in front of him, and Green ain't no Jose Reyes.

I think the lineup is fine the way we have it, but experimenting is good.

Wright at #2 is so tempting. But blue jeans is right, our back half of the lineup would take a serious blow without Wright back there.

Can we please unload Green before he starts bringing this team down. Put Edge in the OF. And get a decent pitching prospect for Green.

Very good points made about strikeouts and weakening the back end of the lineup. I'm not as sure about him hitting second as I was yesterday, but still think he'd flourish there.

I think Randolph should experiment a little during the season, and maybe bat Wright second on days that Lo Duca has off like he's doing now.

If Edge remains on our roster and plays like expected, he will be our #2 hitter.

I went to a game this year where he hit #2. I like the way his name looks in the lineup inbetween Reyes and Beltran.

I don't think Milledge will remain a Met though. I have a feeling our wants to acquire a great pitcher now and the fact that we have two OFs we love in our farm will eventually lead to Milledge packing his bags to Houston for Roy Oswalt.

If Edge remains on our roster and plays like expected, he will be our #2 hitter.

I went to a game this year where he hit #2. I like the way his name looks in the lineup inbetween Reyes and Beltran.

I don't think Milledge will remain a Met though. I have a feeling our wants to acquire a great pitcher now and the fact that we have two OFs we love in our farm will eventually lead to Milledge packing his bags to Houston for Roy Oswalt.

I am on record as saying I don't like Milledge and his attitude, but I am very impressed with him this spring and would much rather see him in RF than Green.

However, if we can land Oswalt, I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Milledge is not going anywhere. He is having a great spring batting .345 and really has made an impression on the organization. He has grown up a lot too over the off season. If he finds some power, he is going to be in the outfield for a very long time. He might even make the club or start off in New Orleans and will be moving up at the first opportunity.

I don't know why Oswalt is always coming up as an option for Milledge... we tried for him last year and it didn't go through. Then he signed a five year deal.

I don't know why Oswalt is always coming up as an option for Milledge... we tried for him last year and it didn't go through. Then he signed a five year deal.

Why would they trade him after signing him to a 5 year deal. It does not make any sense and it is probably just hopeless rumor. Pelfrey is having a great spring and so is Maine, we don't need Oswalt. I am not denying that it will automatically make us the team to beat in the NL. I can be persuaded but it wont happen.

Why would they trade him after signing him to a 5 year deal. It does not make any sense and it is probably just hopeless rumor. Pelfrey is having a great spring and so is Maine, we don't need Oswalt. I am not denying that it will automatically make us the team to beat in the NL. I can be persuaded but it wont happen.

Pelfrey and Maine are having great springs, but that doesn't mean they can do it over the course of a season. Pelfrey is untested and Maine did seem to tire himself out in games and was a completely different pitcher after the 5th inning at times. I'm not saying they can't do it, but at this point, it's unknown.

Oswalt is a proven no.1 pitcher. If you can get a guy like that, you go get him.

Loduca handles the bat so well and is so willing to go the other way at any time in the game and move a runneralong that moving him from the #2 spot would be silly. Not to mention that David Wright is far better protection in the 5 hole for Delgado then Alou. If you want to move Wright and have him protected by a better hitter, move him to #4, move delgado to #5 and have Delgado protect him and still have the benefit of Alou behind Delgado and Loduca in that 2 hole. LoDuca strikes out so little that having him at #2 is really a benefit. His handling of the bat does not do as much in the 7th spot as it does in the 2 hole.