Classified

Death Notices

Death Notices

Eye Exams

Eye Exams

Search for

in

Related Stories

» Check out Adam Rubin's new blog, "Surfing the Mets"!

Mets give Willie new three-year deal

By ADAM RUBIN and BILL MADDEN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Willie Randolph

Willie Randolph's contribution to the Mets will be rewarded.

Randolph and the Mets agreed to a three-year deal today that is expected to pay the manager at least $2 million by the 2009 season, a source familiar with the pact told the Daily News. The deal will take effect immediately, meaning Randolph will get a raise from the $700,000 he was due this year under the terms of his original three-year contract. The Mets have an option for Randolph for 2010, according to a source.

Had Randolph gone into the final year of his original contract as a lame duck under the original terms, he would have been in the bottom-third of managers, behind skippers including Arizona's Bob Melvin ($875,000), Kansas City’s Buddy Bell ($825,00) and Philadelphia's Charlie Manuel ($800,000).

Joe Torre leads major-league skippers with a $7.5 million salary in '07, dwarfing second-ranked Lou Piniella's new deal with the Cubs, which pays him $3.5 million this year, and third-ranked Bobby Cox's $3 million salary with the Braves.

Originally published on January 24, 2007

Fresh stories hot off the site every day via RSS!

Have stories like this emailed right to your inbox!

Email this story

Printer-friendly version

Home | News & Views | Sports | Entertainment | Business | Boroughs | City Life | Services

All contents © 2007 Daily News, L.P.

Terms and Conditions of Use | Privacy Policy

Awesome. For the first time I can remember, I can actually trust the front offices and coaching staffs of both my football and baseball teams for at least (hopefully) the next 3 years. Talk about a great feeling.

Sweet. Only good news of the offseason.

You mean you aren't happy that the Mets are entertaining the idea of signing Ruben Sierra? :ph34r:

Good job by the Mets in taking care of Willie. I thought they might try to lowball him, but I guess Omar really has brought a new way of thinking to the front office.

As for the offseason, I wish we had kept Bradford and gotten a better second baseman, but I am happy that the Mets didn't go overboard and overpay for suspect pitchers like alot of teams did. I wanted Zito, but a 7 year contract for a pitcher is ridiculous. Moises Alou was a good signing, because it's a one year deal. He can still play, and I'm sure Lastings Milledge is going to spell him from time to time. I don't care for Milledge too much, but I do hope he's all he's cracked up to be. Maybe he'll show something and can be dealt for a starting pitcher. (WILLIS!!!!)

You mean you aren't happy that the Mets are entertaining the idea of signing Ruben Sierra? :ph34r:

Good job by the Mets in taking care of Willie. I thought they might try to lowball him, but I guess Omar really has brought a new way of thinking to the front office.

As for the offseason, I wish we had kept Bradford and gotten a better second baseman, but I am happy that the Mets didn't go overboard and overpay for suspect pitchers like alot of teams did. I wanted Zito, but a 7 year contract for a pitcher is ridiculous. Moises Alou was a good signing, because it's a one year deal. He can still play, and I'm sure Lastings Milledge is going to spell him from time to time. I don't care for Milledge too much, but I do hope he's all he's cracked up to be. Maybe he'll show something and can be dealt for a starting pitcher. (WILLIS!!!!)

I'm more into the idea of trading Edge. Now that I know we have a ton of talent coming up in the minor leagues, we could be more inclined to trade him.

I'm more into the idea of trading Edge. Now that I know we have a ton of talent coming up in the minor leagues, we could be more inclined to trade him.

Just for fucks sake I'm keeping Milledge at this point. We went through all the rumors and yet he is still on our team. Let's see what he can do already. He'll be back up mid-season as a 22 yr. old with more experience under his belt, should be interesting.

Just for fucks sake I'm keeping Milledge at this point. We went through all the rumors and yet he is still on our team. Let's see what he can do already. He'll be back up mid-season as a 22 yr. old with more experience under his belt, should be interesting.

I'd rather him be in there then Shawn Green. I think Green is gone for a project minor leaguer by the deadline.

I'd rather him be in there then Shawn Green. I think Green is gone for a project minor leaguer by the deadline.

I doubt it, If Green hits .270 (should be easy for him) with like 10-12 homers to the break he'll get the majority of playing time. He's a lefty (missing item to Willie's bench), so even if he hits below .270 and doesn't get the everday start we can use him as a utility man (LF, RF, 1B) and that would be nice. Omar wouldn't mind eating some salary. Don't hold me to it, though. Personally, I like Shawn Green. I hope we can have him start around 110 games appearing in 130 this year and have a nice little rotation in the outfield with him and Alou. Besides second base and lack of a power lefty off the bench, I'm in love with the offense Omar and Willie have put together this season.

I think you're late. I'm pretty sure we've already signed him to a minor league contract and invited him to Florida.

Last I heard they haven't signed him to anything. God, I hope they just leave him be. He's useless to us, and he's funny looking.